Towing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Two starter questions will help you answer that question:

1. What is the towing capacity and payload of your 2010 Nissan truck? Towing capacity can be found in Nissan documentation (paper or online) or the Trailer Life Towing Guides (free online, look up 2010 and then your make/model/year/option). Payload should be printed on a white/yellow Tire Loading sticker inside your driver's doorjamb... it handles the "tongue weight" of the trailer is where many trucks are lacking.

2. What is the loaded weight of your 2012 Passport trailer? The best way to know this is from taking it across a truck scale at some point, while fully loaded for camping. If you don't have that number, you can guesstimate using the rated weights in the trailer documentation... UVW (Unloaded Vehicle Weight) which doesn't help a lot since nobody tows them empty... and GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Ratio) which is the max weight your trailer is designed to weigh based on frame, tires, suspension, etc. That number is stamped on a data tag on the trailer, usually the exterior front left corner.

From there you can start to do some basic math and see where the numbers agree (or not).

You'd be at your rated towing capacity were the TT near it's GVWR. I towed a Trailmanor ( minimal drag) @ about 4k with a 2011 Frontier Pro4x and did just fine. I'm not sure it would have been a lot of fun pulling another thousand lbs. with the additional drag, however. That's not to say that with a properly setup wdh and properly setup trailer braking you couldn't do it. The biggest issue for me was hitch weight and consequently keeping weight on the steer axle.

Back
Top Bottom