Using propane furnace while driving

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SC5thWheeler

We have a 36 ft diesel pusher. We're leaving in the morning in below freezing Temps and I know from experience that the dash heat will struggle.

Do any of you use the furnace while driving? This seems like it might be unwise and possibly illegal. We're considering running a space heater off the inverter or generator.

Would like to hear others' thoughts on this. Thanks!

We’ve used propane furnaces many times while underway. Note too, that if you’re not winterized, the propane furnace is what keeps your tanks from freezing.
Running your generator while underway is fine, too. If you ARE winterized, the heat pump feature of the air conditioners would eliminate the need of a space heater. (We’ve used electric space while stationary, but I’d be leery of one underway… would make it very secure.. like maybe bungeed in a sink.)

Do any of you use the furnace while driving? This seems like it might be unwise and possibly illegal.
It's neither of those things. Even if something went wrong, e.g. an errant puff of wind blows out the burner flame, the furnace electronics detect the loss of flame and shuts off the gas valve.

If your roof a/c is a heat pump, run the generator to power them and use its heat function. If you do use an electric space heater, make sure it is stabilized so it won't tip easily. All modern space heaters have tip-over safety devices, but who wants to test them out?

Do any of you use the furnace while driving? This seems like it might be unwise and possibly illegal.
To add to what Gary just posted, I have used a propane RV furnace while traveling many times. The engine heater of a motorhome just isn't large enough to heat the space of the RV. We also have traveled with the water heater operating. The only thing is to stop and turn both off before you enter the fuel islands, but do not forget to stop and turn them on again before you get on the highway.

Yes, use the furnace if you wish.

If the flame were to blow out for some reason, the flame sensor will shut down the gas regulator since the control board will think it's had an ignition failure (probably three attempts and then stops trying) which is standard operation for a gas furnace in and RV.

Back in my working days, we pulled out of Nova Scotia in December. We always used the furnace as you pointed out the dash heat is not strong enough to heat the whole coach, but I have seen people who placed some type of a curtain behind the front seats to hold more of the heat up front. If your coach is a DP, the motor will heat the bed and we always had a down comforter which kept us nice and warm until I got up in the morning and turned on the furnace. We have overnighted in temps down into the low teens very comfortably.

Ed

Regarding ROOF Heat Pumps.... Might not heat if below freezing out. (NOTE MIGHT)
I will second what Gary said
It's neither of those things. Even if something went wrong, e.g. an errant puff of wind blows out the burner flame, the furnace electronics detect the loss of flame and shuts off the gas valve.

Normally if the flame goes out the control computer will attempt a relight if it fails fails, fails it lights a FAULT light. Power cycle to reset. I've never had it blow out and fail to relight.. I have had it fail fail fail to light in the first place or rather to detect that it lit (the replacement board (Dinosaur) was way better designed)

All LP RV appliances are designed to operate when underway or stationary. Owning and traveling in a MH is the most expensive method of RVing. Saving money by not using something is not on the table.

Of course you can use the furnace when traveling! It’s a motor HOME isn’t it?

When we travel, we make it just as comfortable in the motor home as it is in our brick and sticks home. 72 degrees all the time. Heat in the winter, generator on line and two ACs running in the summer.

When we head South in about two weeks from WNY I plan on setting the house furnace to 60 degrees. We also have a clear shower curtain hanging behind our front seats that I hung on a light metal rod. I attached a 3M clear plastic hook (the removable kind) to each side wall about 4" below the ceiling. For the metal rod, I just drilled a small hole in each end to loop through string and tied a loop to hang on each 3M hook. Works great. When we first tried this out two years ago heading down to Key West we couldn't believe the difference in temps in the cockpit area and then walking through the rig to use the bathroom.

Back
Top Bottom