What is the correct method to winterize sink traps?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oldryder

returning from down south. Wondering what is the recommended procedure for insuring water in sink traps does not cause damage.

thx to anyone offering advice.

Then put a drain plug/cover in place so that when the antifreeze evaporates you don't vent your waste tanks inside the RV.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

Reactions: Tom
I run my water lines long enough to allow pink stuff to fill the traps. IF water was left in the traps, I feel they would simply freeze, water expand, then thaw, unlike a water line that might freeze and rupture. I've never had an issue. Many years ago I would put a few drops of oil in traps, I don't anymore. Might have a slight odor in spring, everything fills up and smell goes away quickly during de-winterizing process.

RV (potable water) anti-freeze poured in the drains to fill the traps. Works for either P-traps or Hepvo types. Evaporation usually isn't a worry unless the storage season lasts until hot weather, but you can add a thin layer of cooking or baby oil on top if you like. If your rig has a clothes or dish washer, don't forget its drain and pump.

A better way is to fill with baby oil,, it will not evap away,, I also do this for my house drains and toilets when leaving for the winter months to keep sewer gas out..>>>Dan
At my house, I would use 2 to 3 tablespoons of vegetable oil in all the traps. In the toilet, maybe a half a cup. I still heated my house but it was for stopping the water from evaporating..

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom