What to do

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pipepro

Been a long winter and wind storms a plenty lately. I've tried patches and sewing. The patches wouldn't stay glued and the sewing just ripped. Does anybody have anymore suggestions? Maybe the cover is done. 3 years old what a shame. I had to disconnect the straps because the last wind storms almost blew it around the side, plus you can see the large branch that fell.

Attachments

• 20240328_105454.jpg
    20240328_105454.jpg
    251 KB · Views: 21
  • 20240327_095739.jpg
    20240327_095739.jpg
    255.1 KB · Views: 21
Unless you can secure the cover to the surface it's covering, you risk more damage from abrasion from wind movement than whatever you're ostensibly protecting it from. So either wrapped in rope or straps, or weighed down with blocks or boards. Then there's trapped condensation and dirt that seems to get in there anyway, so any benefit diminishes quickly.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

Those are the very common drawbacks of a cover, especially in a windy region. It has to be fastened down/around tightly to minimize them and you still get holes or tears at the wear points. RVs have a lot of pointy things too, so more risks there.

The benefits of a cover aren't all that great, so many owners give up and do without. Just plan on a wash & polish in the spring.

I can't determine the material used for that cover, but glue-on patches can be unreliable without the right kind of adhesive for the type of fabric. Sewing them on is better.

We had the same type of cover for our last rig, We bought it after storing the rig in a wharehouse for $200 a month. We got this 40 foot cover for $399 so I thought I was ahead. This is the first winter in 14 years we didn't go south, took its toll on the cover.

Does anybody have anymore suggestions?
Yep! Tear up the cover some more and put it in the trash can which is where RV covers belong.

I see trees there, perhaps you can find a shady place for the RV for most of the day.

Like mine (In Auburn, CA):

1711642534869.png

-Don- Reno, NV

Last edited:
Regardless of the type cover, custom-made, pre-made, or simply a poly farm tarp; the secrets to success is adding tydown eyelets every 2' around the bottom perimeter and using elastic cords to hold it taut.
I did that with 2 different 5ers for a total of 13 years. I never had any wear spots on the 5ers, never had a farm tarp torn by wind, never had a mold problem. I had other RV owners nay-say that mold would form on the roof, not so; the air conditioner held the tarp up for air circulation, and a side benefit was more water drainage off the tarp.
What I did have, is replacing the farm tarp every 4-5 years because of sun-rot.
I normally bought yellow poly tarps, because the first one was blue and quickly sun-rotted(3 yrs). I think the 40'x60' farm tarps cost $70 ea., the elastic "bungee" cords cost $20/dozen back then, and I still have about a dozen left from the original purchase.

The downside of this is, it limits entry into the RV unless about 8 of the elastic cords are removed on the door-side.

Been a long winter and wind storms a plenty lately. I've tried patches and sewing. The patches wouldn't stay glued and the sewing just ripped. Does anybody have anymore suggestions? Maybe the cover is done. 3 years old what a shame. I had to disconnect the straps because the last wind storms almost blew it around the side, plus you can see the large branch that fell.
In my experience, 2-3 years is all you an expect from even the best cover, although that varies by climate. I live in a somewhat serious snow and cold zone, and even though I have to replace every couple of years, I consider what it would cost to repair the damage snow and ice freeze- thaw cycles would do. I consider a cover an acceptable recurring cost. Just my opinion.

This cover has had it so I pulled it off about an hour ago I'm going to cut it up and trash it. I don't know if I'll buy another cover because I'm thinking about building a RV Port.

Attachments

• 20230621_104724.jpg
    20230621_104724.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 8
I cover my travel trailer 6 months out of the year in the midwest. (nov-april). My 10+ year old unit still looks fantastic for it's age, I 100% attribute that to the covering. I was getting 3 years, I spent a bit more and bought from CarAutoCovers last time. I'm on year 4, and I am starting to get wear holes. It has a lifetime warranty, the catch, you pay shipping. The cost last time I checked was close to $100 to get a replacement. So, I will say that is a fair trade. I plan to get a new top this summer, unless I upgrade and buy a different trailer (kinda wanting a bit more room) I cover my wheels and tires as well, mostly for sun fade. Part of the trick to success covering is, use pool noodles and blue painters tape, minimize the wear points, and keep pretty tight, less the wind can get under the better. My current wear points are the AC unit on top, and the rear bumper corners. Not sure how I could get around the ac unit, the rear bumper I think some bubble wrap maybe next time.

I used a brand-new cover on my rig once, and never again. I never had a greater mouse intrusion in my rig than when covered. The little critters even used it like a cargo net to climb up to the roof and get into the AC ducting. The following year when we first turned on the AC bits of Styrofoam from the ceiling insulation blew down from the vents like it was snowing, along with mice turds!

Some critter chewed out one corner of the cover in a "V" ground-up going about halfway up the rig. Never could figure out just what kind of animal dined-out on the cover.

Have gotten 6 years out of my current cover. I do park my TT in a relatively sheltered location, with straps and ties to hold it tight.
With the severe wind we've been getting, its starting to show wear and tears. I feel like I've gotten my money's worth in having it protect my TT over the winter. It will have to be replaced in a year or so.
Just my $.02
Safe travels and all the best.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom