Winnebago 2002 Brave Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chrisdvr4

I am converting a 2002 Winnebago Brave by adding lifep04 batteries, solar, inverter, and 2nd transfer switch.

1. There is a Dimensions 300w inverter and video control center in the headliner above the passenger seat. I am pretty sure that its powered by the starter battery. I am removing and want my 4000w inverter (that will be under the steps by the house batteries) to power them. Can any of the existing wires be used for this?

2. I want to use the existing converter/charger to charge my 800AH lifepo4 battery bank. It seems this wont damage the batteries unless there is some auto temperature function. I dont think there is but can anyone confirm this? I know the stock converter wont charge the lifep04 past like 80% bit I think im okay with that since I have solar. If you can convince me otherwise what are good replacement options?

3. Where is the chassis/house emergency start interconnect starting selinoid for this model?. Im told that I need to disconnect it because of the lifep04 upgrade. Are there any other changes that need to be made?

4. I plan to put a second auto transfer switch between the converter/charger and the 4000w inverter.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231221_112247_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20231221_112247_Gallery.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 7
  • Screenshot_20231220_165446_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20231220_165446_Samsung Internet.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 7
1. There is a Dimensions 300w inverter and video control center in the headliner above the passenger seat. I am pretty sure that its powered by the starter battery. I am removing and want my 4000w inverter (that will be under the steps by the house batteries) to power them. Can any of the existing wires be used for this?
Doubtful that inverter is powered by the chassis (engine) battery. The 120v wiring from the old inverter to the entertainment gear is fine for the new one, but the new inverter probably isn't physically close enough to use them, unless maybe via an extension cord. And the 12v wire to feed the inverter from the battery bank is going to be located with the new inverter and MUCH large wire gauge to handle the 4000 watts.

#2. Fine as long as you understand that minor limitation.

#3. Get the 2002 Brave wiring diagrams from the Winnebago site Owner Resources. That will show you all the wiring.

1. There is a Dimensions 300w inverter and video control center in the headliner above the passenger seat. I am pretty sure that its powered by the starter battery.
That probably is not the case unless it was added by a previous owner who didn't know what he was doing. For a 20 year old RV it has probably had several owners who may have changed many things,\.
Where is the chassis/house emergency start interconnect starting selinoid for this model?.
If you visit the Winnebago website you can find the original drawings for the RV that you have, assuming that things are still the way that they left the factory.

Chrisdvr4... i believe your batteries are under the steps if so your relays should be in the compartment behind your front passenger tire. There should be a long black box mounted to the left as you open the door. Open it up then you'll have to remove a few screws to get the panel to pull down enough to look behind it. I believe there's 2 or 3 relay type solenoids mounted in there. You'll have to figure out which one your looking for.

The silver relay is the boost/charge relay. Removing the small wire from the one small terminal will prevent it from operating and you can leave it in place. Its possible that someone replaced it with a relay with two small terminals, one is ground one is the actuating wire.

You can access the Winnebago wiring diagrams and installation drawings for the exact location, but i believe that Oldman is correct.

Charles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CheriRv
Back
Top Bottom