Insulating doghouse cover

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scottydl

Site Team
Made a 400 mile round trip this past weekend with the still-new-to-us MH, and all went fairly well except for the temperature inside the coach while driving... HOT.  And this was with the generator running and the front roof A/C running full blast the whole time.  The A/C works fine too, once we were parked and it cooled down in the evening the interior temp was fine.  I think the problem is the doghouse cover, and lack of insulation.  While the engine was running, the cover's carpet was constantly warm to the touch and I could feel hot air blasting out the seams (where the bottom of the cover meets the floor) onto my feet.  That hot air would probably rise and constantly compete with the cool air coming down from the roof A/C.  The previous owner attached some sort of plastic tubing around the bottom of the cover to probably combat this problem, but it doesn't solve it completely.  Is there some other device or technique I can use to keep the heat BELOW the doghouse cover?

Hi Scotty,

I had the same problem some time ago and did the insulation trick.

Check out my old thread. Might answer most of your questions

Just click here

I found a considerable decrease in heat and noise after the installation. Check out the pix in the tread.

carson FL.

Scotty,

The bottom edge of the doghouse should be a tight seal.  On my old '94 MH, I used a heavy duty automotive gasket material, came in a roll and was about an inch or more wide.  Solved the hot air leak problem quite well.

Thanks for the responses guys, and WOW carson that looked like a great result you got.  That's exactly what I'd like to accomplish.  Do you think the insulation product and spray adhesive that you bought from JC Whitney could be found at a hardware store?  I've got no problem buying online, but if I can spend the same or less and go pick it up today I will.  ;)

Scotty, happy to provide the info.

I bought the stuff in Feb/07 via website.

Item 1: Catalog # 268584  Insulation Pad w/foil backing  (Mfg# BLISS10OZ-12)  $26.99

Item 2: Catalog # 268587  High Temp/High Strength Adhesive (Mfr# BLIP11406)  $9.99

---It's called 'Sticky Stuff'.
You will have padding and glue left over, for your next RV  ;D

With a sharp pair of scissors cut the larger flatter pieces first. Then fill in any corners that were missed.

To finish it off,  get some 'heating duct tape' (small roll, silver color) from Home Depot or hardware store. Seal all joints tightly and enjoy.  --Piece of cake--. Make sure you clean the underside of the dog house first with paint thinner or such to get the dirt and oil off.

Don't forget to autograph your master piece, when you are finished.

My dog house had a good rubber seal on the bottom already.

carson, FL

I was having the same problems. Thanks for the info Carson.

FYI, looks like both numbers now bring up a kit consisting of 2- 4'X6' rolls of insulation, a can of adhesive and a roll of the tape for $49.99. It doesn't come up for a roll of insulation only. Also, the second number shows as no longer valid.

I'm ordering the kit today to combat this as well. Kevin

fyrmnk said:
FYI, looks like both numbers now bring up a kit consisting of 2- 4'X6' rolls of insulation, a can of adhesive and a roll of the tape for $49.99. It doesn't come up for a roll of insulation only. Also, the second number shows as no longer valid.

I got the individual items to come up when I was checking yesterday, but the prices were $29.99 for 1 roll of insulation, $9.99 for the adhesive, and $5.99 for the tape.  So with the kit the 2nd roll of insulation only costs $4.  :)  Also do a Google search for "JC Whitney coupon code" and you should fine one to use for free shipping on $50+ orders.

THREAD REVIVAL

I'm thinking "better late than never" fits here, as I'm finally getting around to completing this project.  ::)  I bought all the materials (high temp insulation, adhesive, and tape) months ago, but winter denied me the luxury of working on the RV.  So today I pulled the doghouse cover off and brought it inside, flip it over, and whuddya know - there's already insulation underneath.  It's silver on one side like the stuff I bought, but is flaking/peeling away in some areas and the inside is a yellow-colored woven fabric stuff.  It almost looks like a household insulation of some sort.  Does this sound like an OEM motorhome product?  Does anyone else have this on their doghouse cover from the factory?  And I'm wondering whether I should tear it all off and install the new stuff, or glue the new stuff right over the top of what I found.  Suggestions?

Scotty, sounds to me like that old stuff is fiberglas insulation. Maybe a previous owner installed it in a home project. My 95 Winnebago was clean as a whistle.

I would definitely tear out the old stuff, clean the inside of the dog house and install the new stuff very nicely. Sure worked for me. Am very pleased with the heat and noise reduction.

Take your time and do yourself proud. ;)

carson FL

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gregcss43
Back
Top Bottom