Replaced auto transfer switch with LPT50BRD

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DutchEagle

I found some charred and partly melted wires inside my original transfer switch (See picture with one yellow circle). Also, my wife complained there was always a hum coming from the electrical compartment so I decided to replace the transfer switch with a different one. I chose the ESCO LPT50BRD, a DC relay based switch.
  • ESCO Automatic Transfer Switch LPT50BRD-50 Amp 120/240 Volt relay based with terminal strip
  • 50 Amp per pole
  • 70 Amp neutral
  • 12.0KW, 110VDC
  • 22-second nominal time delay allowing the generator to get up to speed.
  • Size 8,5″ x 8,5″ x 4,5″
The layout of the switch is different than the originally installed switch and cables should be connected in a different order however you can detach and move the connector blocks to match the cable position as in the original switch. (That is why the numbers are not in numerical order, see picture)

I had to add some grounding connectors because the grounding cables could not reach the grounding bar. (See picture with the two yellow circles)

The only thing that I was not sure of was the two white generator cables but comparing it with the original switch it seems they were connected with a bridge so I put them together.

Tested and it works like the original.

TIP:
Check the screws on your transfer switch and load panel every 6 months as they can become loose while traveling. When there is a loose connection it can heat up very fast and ultimately create a short or melting wire and worst-case scenario a fire. Before you do so switch off shore power and generator!

Attachments

• WB_ATS_hot_wires.jpg
    WB_ATS_hot_wires.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 55
  • lpt50brd_inside_added_ground.jpg
    lpt50brd_inside_added_ground.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 52
For us newbies can you please explain what a transfer switch does?  I believe I have one in my electrical bay.  Does it have something to do with 120v power from shore or inverter? 

The automatic transfer will switch the RV's load center (AC breaker panel) from shore power to generator automatically. Depending on the switch, some will give generator priority or shore power priority. In other words if I start my generator, the automatic switch will detect the generator running and switch to it from shore power. When the generator stops, it automatically switches back to shore power. Some entry level RVs won't have an automatic switch but require manual intervention.

Thank you John!

On our last trip I had the generator running at the same time as shore power - the first time since we purchased our Bounder a year ago.  I wanted to keep the roof A/C working as we broke camp to leave for the day.  The A/C was on while plugged in, then I turned on the generator, then unhooked shore power as we prepared to leave.  I wondered how that was all governed.

I learn something new every day - and am enjoying it.  Much appreciated.

John Canfield said:
Excellent! Two thumbs up  :)) :)) I'll put a link to this in our Winnebago resources sticky thread at the top of this board.
Thanks John
Always something new to discover and I always like to document that.

Back
Top Bottom