Move Mobley SIM to new device

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Back2PA

This subject has been covered in the past but I gathered that things may have changed with regard to AT&T allowing the Mobley SIM to be moved to a new device.

My goal is to move the SIM to a device that will accept an external antenna to improve reception. Both summer and winter I am in areas with very poor reflected cell signals and use a cell booster, however I use a directional antenna for Verizon (necessary to have solid voice) so can't simultaneously boost the AT&T signal since the towers aren't co-located. The AT&T signal I have now is about 1 bar and marginally usable. 99% of the time the device is plugged in to 120V but I'd like the option to power it by 12V and/or USB when I'm traveling. Re the external antenna, I have a mast up for the booster, and while I would first try to just use the Mobley external antenna inside, if necessary I am considering rigging a mount for the antenna partway up the mast to get some height over the rig.

So my questions:
  • Is one still allowed to move the Mobley SIM?
  • I understand there is(was) some sort of process for moving and re-registering the SIM?
  • Is there any risk to my grandfathered ConnectedCar plan?
  • I use a timer to restart the Mobley every two hours to circumvent the timeout - will moving the SIM to the new device eliminate this timeout?
  • What device is recommended that supports an external antenna?
  • What external antennas are recommended? Are they weatherproof?
  • If I choose to mount the antenna on the mast I would need about 20' of lead. I realize there is line loss, but I'm thinking the significantly better signal capture of the external antenna (especially over the teeny internal antenna of the Mobley) would more than compensate.
Thanks for this and any other comments and suggestions

Scott, I don't know the answers to your other questions, but I don't need to restart my Mobl?y periodically. IIRC someone explained how to circumvent the issue in the  Mobley admin settings.

The issue with moving a Mobley SIM now is that starting about a year ago, AT&T sent out a software update to the Mobleys that added a PIN code lock and did not publish this secret 4 digit PIN code.  This in effect locked the SIM card to the Mobley it was in, as moving the SIM would prompt the user for the PIN code, giving only 3 attempts to get it right.

There is maybe a way around this, by getting the PUK code (PIN Unlock) code by calling AT&T customer service and asking for it, for most other devices the PIN codes can be optionally set by the device owner, and AT&T will give out the PUK code to let people get back into devices they have accidentally locked themselves out of, this generally requires going through some proof of ID method, by knowing information like the account number, billing address, etc.

So if you call AT&T and get a rep that is not aware of the Mobley PIN lock issue, they may give you the PUK code as they would with any other device which would let you move the SIM to another device, then set your own PIN code, then set the device to no PIN code required.  My advice is if you call AT&T customer service, keep to the point, don't give them extra information, just say you have a device that has became locked, and you don't remember the PIN code, and that you need the PUK code to unlock.  With luck they will verify who you are and give you the PUK code number and that will be it.

As to upgraded device to consider, I would look at the netgear 815S, it is more capable than the Mobley, and commonly available used on ebay, etc. for around $80 in like new condition.

This is all based on the situation as it was last summer, I have not heard of any changes since then that have been confirmed.  To the best of my knowledge AT&T has not yet cracked down on anyone moving SIM's to another device, though it is best to not tell the AT&T customer service this is what you are doing as they may try to "help" and end up getting your Mobley plan canceled by deleting it and then trying to recreate it in their system when trying to assign you a new SIM, which they will find they can't do after deleting the account, which would then take nearly an act of god to get back.

Tom said:
Scott, I don't know the answers to your other questions, but I don't need to restart my Mobl?y periodically. IIRC someone explained how to circumvent the issue in the  Mobley admin settings.

Tom, you are correct, that is, that's the way it was when I bought it. AT&T then forcibly uploaded a firmware change which eliminated the "never" timeout. At least that's what happened to mine and many others who now use a timer. Apparently yours didn't 'upgrade'.  Although irritating, I can live with that issue, just trying to improve signal.

Issac, thanks for the info. Kinda what I thought, it's worrisome to risk losing the plan. Hopefully someone who has recently done/tried this might weigh in to see if it's feasible.

I've had my Mobley SIM in an 815S for a couple of years and a 770S for about a year prior to that, and AT&T hasn't said a word about it. I even went through an issue where the SIM failed and wouldn't register on their network, and a local AT&T store had no problem replacing it at no charge. There was nothing required for moving it from the Mobley other than the physical move. I needed to use a SIM adapter for the 770S, but not for the 815S. As a backup though, in case AT&T changes the plan to one I don't like, I also have a Visible (Verizon) unlimited talk, text, and data phone with hotspot that we use in weak AT&T areas, although those areas are becoming fewer over the past couple of years. At $25/mo with "Party Pay", it makes a good alternate data service.

NY_Dutch said:
I've had my Mobley SIM in an 815S for a couple of years and a 770S for about a year prior to that, and AT&T hasn't said a word about it. I even went through an issue where the SIM failed and wouldn't register on their network, and a local AT&T store had no problem replacing it at no charge. There was nothing required for moving it from the Mobley other than the physical move. I needed to use a SIM adapter for the 770S, but not for the 815S. As a backup though, in case AT&T changes the plan to one I don't like, I also have a Visible (Verizon) unlimited talk, text, and data phone with hotspot that we use in weak AT&T areas, although those areas are becoming fewer over the past couple of years. At $25/mo with "Party Pay", it makes a good alternate data service.

I have unlimited data on my Verizon phone but prefer to use that as a backup rather than use the phone as a hot spot. I know you've talked about the Unite previously. What external antenna would you recommend? What ohm and connectors are the antenna lead?

Dutch, given your timeline it sounds like you moved the SIM before AT&T pushed the Mobley firmware upgrade with the integrated PIN code about a year ago.

Isaac-1 said:
Dutch, given your timeline it sounds like you moved the SIM before AT&T pushed the Mobley firmware upgrade with the integrated PIN code about a year ago.

That's correct, but just in case I had to move it back to the Mobley at some point, I changed the PIN code to prevent the upgrade from installing, and also got the PUK codes from tech support. When the SIM failed, I did move it back temporarily for troubleshooting, but nothing upgraded anyway since no network connection could be made.

Back2PA said:
I have unlimited data on my Verizon phone ?

NY_Dutch said:
I also have a Visible (Verizon) unlimited talk, text, and data phone with hotspot that we use in weak AT&T areas,

Just to clarify, is this "hotspot data" usage, or simply internet access on your phone only?  If your Verizon plan really allows for unlimited hotspotting, I'd  be totally interested in knowing about that plan, --- if still available. 

Also, does the Visible Plan really allow for unlimited streaming via a ROKU for example?

IF you try to contact ATT customer service about the Mobley codes etc., your should ask to speak with Advanced Technical Support
because as a stand-alone device (not a phone!), the normal customer reps have no idea what a Mobley is -- at least as of 6-7 months ago that was my experience.  The "advanced" group I finally spoke with instructed me to always request to speak with them, as the regular folks are trained to deal with "mobile phone" only issues.  800-331-0500 is customer service #.

Not to kidnap the thread, but does moving the SIM to another device circumvent the timeout issue?  Right now I use a timer to get around it, and it's not that bad to deal with, but . . .simplifying things seems attractive.  I try to follow all the posts about Mobley usage, but get lost in the router, PUK, SIM discussions most of the time.

Cheers
Linda

Dreamsend said:
Just to clarify, is this "hotspot data" usage, or simply internet access on your phone only?  If your Verizon plan really allows for unlimited hotspotting, I'd  be totally interested in knowing about that plan, --- if still available. 
It's unlimited hotspotting, with throttling. I'm looking at MyVerizon now and this is the plan I have:

PlayMore Unlimited
"After 25 G at 4G LTE, in times of congestion, your data may be temporarily slower than other traffic. Mobile Hotspot/tethering reduced to speeds up to 600Kbps after 15GB/mo."

So the tethering is unlimited, but after 15GB it's probably too slow to stream. My primary concern was having backup internet for all devices, and using the Mobley as primary I haven't hit the 15GB hotspot limit yet. Adding this plan was about $40/extra if I recall, but I get $10/mo off for autopay, and the plan includes the $10/mo Apple Music that I was already paying for and could then stop paying Apple, so it only cost me $20/mo net to go to unlimited.

As I mentioned I typically use the Mobley for internet (I also use a Roku) but fall back on iPhone/Verizon if the Mobley's having a bad day.

Dreamsend said:
IF you try to contact ATT customer service about the Mobley codes etc., your should ask to speak with Advanced Technical Support
because as a stand-alone device (not a phone!), the normal customer reps have no idea what a Mobley is -- at least as of 6-7 months ago that was my experience.  The "advanced" group I finally spoke with instructed me to always request to speak with them, as the regular folks are trained to deal with "mobile phone" only issues.  800-331-0500 is customer service #.

Thanks for the tip

Dreamsend said:
Not to kidnap the thread, but does moving the SIM to another device circumvent the timeout issue?  Right now I use a timer to get around it, and it's not that bad to deal with, but . . .simplifying things seems attractive. 

I believe it may, although my primary goal is to get a better antenna. I too am using a timer, and found your post about the timer you use and will be moving to that one until I decide about moving the SIM - your timer is able to do a quick off/on, mine has the Mobley off for most of two minutes
Dreamsend said:
but get lost in the router, PUK, SIM discussions most of the time.

Ditto  ;)

I have started using using this router again which I bought a long time ago, as I hit the Mobley limit for connected devices. This router comes configured as a repeater with a built-in interface, the primary purpose is to boost weak wifi. Its not a substitute for a full-fledged wifi booster as it does not have an external antenna, but it does a pretty good job boosting wifi signals which are just slightly too weak to capture on a phone or computer. Plus I think you can hookup nearly unlimited devices. Since I'm in the process of installing the Ring alarm, the multiple connected devices put me over the Mobley limit.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GoldenOldie
Back
Top Bottom