PowerToys for Vista

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ned

Moderator Emeritus
The PowerToys that many of us used with Windows XP are not available for Windows Vista, and especially not the 64 bit version.  However, there are some 3rd party products becoming available for the more useful of the PowerToys.  One of the most popular is the image resizer.  I found a free version for Windows Vista, both 32 and 64 bit, here.

As we find other replacements for the PowerToys, post them here.

None of the Microsoft PowerToys are available for Vista.  They were unsupported in any case.  TweakUI was one of the PowerToys.

Ned

With just a cursory review of Powertoys on the desktop it actually seems like many of the features have been picked up in Vista. One thing thing that I see missing is the easy control of drive names/letters. I don't remember where I got the recommendation from but I downloaded  VSO image resizer, more info at here. Haven't used it much but we'll see.

VSO was the other one I found, but the one I linked to works exactly like the XP PowerToy so I didn't look any further.

Drives can be renamed from Computer.  Right click on the drive and select Rename.  Or select the drive and press F2.  This is exactly as it worked in XP.  Drive letters are also controlled as in XP from the Disk Manager, available from the Computer | Manage application.

Depends on the PowerToys that you found most useful.

Ned:

Thanks for the image resizer! I have been using VSO for over a year but I always enjoyed the original Power Toys version in XP more.

Now I have it again. ;D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Claassen
Back
Top Bottom