slideout lock... doesn't?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Meanderman said:
My slide lock cover started leaking badly and after removing I found that some type of previous maintenance (not mine) had shredded the rubber boot that's supposed to collect the water and drain it outside.  I removed the lock assembly and fabricated a cover.  My problem is now that if I unplug the lock assembly the slide won't operate.  There is a two-wire connector plug, and one wire each to each side of the lock arm.  Any ideas how I can connect the wiring to defeat the lock?  I second the 2X4 method; this one is a leak waiting to happen.

I had to clean the drain holes several times. The holes kept clogging causing the rubber boot to fill with water then drain into the motor home. The boot has no way to secure tightly on the shaft and will allow water to pour into the coach once the water reaches the shaft level. I fabricated (from thin aluminum roof flashing) covers that fit over the slide locks on top of the slide outs. I siliconed the covers onto the slide out locks openings. I then removed the wires from the slideout lock circuit breakers rendering the locks inoperable.

I feel that this method of slideout lock is a great idea but poorly executed. Putting a 2 inch by 4 inch hole on top of the slide out is ridiculous. The drain tube clogs so easily. It is like saying "water please enter here I enjoy my furniture and bed being wet". I have had no issues with the slide outs wanting to move while in transit. I now sleep easy when it is raining and blowing. I even placarded the slideout lock switches as "Disabled" so no well intentioned mechanic tries to fix my fix.

Jim

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BTRDYS
Back
Top Bottom