Room extension hydraulic leak

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bertola

I have a leak coming from just under the rear bedroom slide-out on a 2004 Winnebago Vectra with HWH system.  It appears to be hydraulic fluid.  Once I get to it I am going to try to tighten the fitting and see if that is the fix.  If not, I will have to replace the hose.  After I replace the hose, do I need the bleed the system?  Is so, how do I do that?  Also, I am a little confused as to the fluid reservoir location.  The fluid coming from the leak is red.  There is a large reservoir in back in the engine compartment that has red fluid in it.  But I understand that the HWH hydraulic reservoir is up by the entry steps and the fluid is supposed to be clear.  What is the reservoir in the engine compartment for?  And if the HWH fluid is clear, then maybe the leak isn't from the slide-out.  Any insight would be appreciated. 

Thanks,

Craig

The HWH pump/reservoir/solenoids, etc should be under your entry steps (that tank in the rear is for your power steering).  If you feel under the lip of the top two entry steps you'll find a nut which you can unscrew to allow the step to hinge up, giving you access to the HWH system.  HWH recomends their clear fluid, but the system may be filled with regular red Dexron transmission fluid instead.  (The advantage of the clear is that if there is a leak inside it won't stain things.)  HWH had a batch of bad hoses a while ago, possibly in 2003/3004--if that's your problem they may be willing to replace them for you under warranty.  I would give them a call and see.

cbeierl said:
The HWH pump/reservoir/solenoids, etc should be under your entry steps (that tank in the rear is for your power steering).

What Chris said.  The small tank or canister reservoir at the rear also feeds the hydraulic fan for the side radiator chassis (yours.)

Careful twisting the hose on that slide out. I had my bedroom slide ram replaced under warranty on my 06' Meridian. When it started to drip a little I jiggled the hose to see where the leak was and then it leaked a LOT.  Yeah, if the leak is red someone has already put ATF in the system which is OK with HWH. No sense spending the money for the HWH fluid unless you are going to drain and refill the whole system.  The ATF is much cheaper and easier to find.

I had a similar bedroom slide leak on my '03 and the problem was a bad HWH fitting ...they had a bad batch or two in that time frame.  My repair was in '06 or '07 ...HWH provided the fitting at no cost, but claimed they had no record/warranty paperwork that I bought the coach so they refused to pay the labor ...crazy...

bertola said:
After I replace the hose, do I need the bleed the system?  Is so, how do I do that?

We just blew a hydrolic line on our 3000 mile 3 week trip and had Tom Raper in Indiana take care of it and they did not bleed the lines. They topped it off and told us that after cycling the slides a few times and fully extending the levelers to check the fluid level (with everything retracted of course) in which there was no need to add additional. They had initialy added 2 quarts after the repair.

Yeah Dar, check it again in about a week after you have run the slides in and out a half a dozen more times. The air bubbles will work themselves out by then and you may need to add a bit more fluid. And check the repair for leaks or drips.  Even the experts can have trouble getting the fittings just right.

Thanks for all the information.  I went to locate the HWH reservoir.  I think I found it along with the solenoids.  It seems hard to get to it to check the fluid level.  It looks like you access it from above thru the steps.  How do I access it? Thanks again.

Craig

No.  I didn't know you could. I can't believe how much I don't know about my coach.  I assume there is a latch or something under the lip of the step? 

There is what looks like a 7/16" nut in the center of the top two steps, remove the nut and lift up the step.

Edit:  run a finger just behind the lip of the step and you will feel the stud and nut.

OK.  I located everything I need to.  Access to the Engine compartment, Bed open to expose the slide mechanism.  I found the leak in the engine compartment and I need to replace the entire line.  My problem is that I can't seem to figure out how to get access to the other end the the line that attaches to the cylinder in the slide. The lines feed into a channel under the bed.  I called winnebago and they said I needed to remove the cylinder then I could access the end of the lines. I can't seem to figure out how to remove it.  Am I over my head with this or is it easier than it looks?  I've been trying to get a hold of HWH. They said they would call me back and never do.  Real busy I guess.  Any ideas would be appreciated. 
Thanks,

Craig

John - It's a 2004 Vectra WKS40AD.  Serial #10S80E278029.  HWH 325 Series - Rear single cylinder "Guided" room extension is What I need to access to replace the line.

Craig

Update - Jay from Winnebago called this morning.  He was very helpful.  A few ideas about just replacing the fitting while leaving the line in place.  Also gave me more insight into removing the cylinder.  HWH also called back this morning.  They said they will be putting me in touch with a technician.  Still waiting for that call. But looking more promising.  Right now the slide works although it leaks a lot. My biggest fear is getting into this and messing it up so that the slide wont operate at all.

Craig - sounds like technical resources are coming together for you.  Study your situation in depth and if you don't feel right about tackling the job, pay a tech.

Finally got the hose replaced! :) No more leak.  It was an adventure, but thanks to all the members on this forum, HWH and Winnebago I was able to pull it off. I learned a lot along the way. I won't go into detail about all that was involved, but if anyone ever has the same issue send me a PM...I'll be glad to help out!
Thanks again,
Craig

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gregcss43
Back
Top Bottom