Winter living... some suggestions...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Malakie

Hi all,

Just wanted to pass on some things for those trying to do the winter thing..  Right now we are living in a Fourwinds Windsport 38' RV in central Wisconsin.  And it is already COLD!    For the last 48 hours, temps have been down to 23.5 degrees F and holding sustained winds out of the north at 20-25 mph for wind chills that are even colder.  We are also getting major gust a few times each minute hitting between 35-40 mph as well.

Two months ago I started preparing for this.  I started researching, asking questions and wintering everything I could think of, find or that was suggested.  The only things I still need to do that I am still trying to find a solution to are to someone find a way to do the stove exhaust port without sealing it since we use it and the open area venting behind the refrigerator as well.

I have learned a lot though so I wanted to pass long some suggestions.

First, any nitch or area that is open air.. i.e. under your shower, dressers, cabinets, pipe/waterline runs etc you need to insulate and not just with the foam tubes that fit around the pipe itself.  You need to fill those gaps with regular insulation.  You do not want to pack them tight but you also do not want them left as open air pockets.

Next, double check all of your furnace venting and the connections at each point.  Travel pulls and twists the light sheet metal used for the vents.  A lot of people are losing not only the output of the furnace to the outside through holes, cracks etc in their vents but when the furnace is not running, the cold air backs in through those same openings.  How I fixed the few I found was to Mastic putty first then cover it with 'Gorilla' tape.  What a difference there that made.

The next thing I did was buy some rubberized sealer that I applied to any areas under the RV that were open to the actual floor underside. I applied it very thick to make a insulated buffer of the goop.  I had thought about doing some kind of insulation but realized that will not work because the first time we drive down the road it will probably all come apart and fly out.  This stuff sticks like glue and since it is pliable has a little give in it.  Its functional use is not really for insulation but the inch thickness has helped a lot with the floor not becoming freezing cold so it is doing what I had hoped giving us some insulation on the underside of the exposed flooring.

Next, our water tank is in the back and when the cargo door is open it is exposed as is all the water inlets etc of course.  I did as others an bought a nice heated water hose of course.  But I went two steps further.  First I bought a small square CERAMIC heater and mounted it in the bay.  I got one that has a thermostat so I could set it to 44 degrees.    Without anything further, it has been running about once every 15 minutes or so for about 60 seconds and that is with this wind and cold.. I expect it to be even less once the wind dies down.  The other thing I did but have not quite installed yet was to measure out and cut a piece of plywood that is the same dimensions as the hole for the cargo space.  I then glued 3" pink fiber insul board to the back of that and on the other side the silver window type reflective insulation.  That then sits just inside the cargo door with the silver side pointed toward the outside of course.  Even though I have not yet tested it with the heater running, without it the heater was doing just fine so I expect with this added it will really work great to keep that area above freezing.

And just so you know, we have had the heat running off propane as well as three of these small ceramic square heaters for the last month up here.  Our electric cost I just paid yesterday and it was $47.  I expect it to be about $65-$70 overall per month if things really get cold.  Now, keep in mind that I designed and setup a solar AND wind turbine power system from off the shelf parts myself that supplements our power.  We use less shore power because of that.  I figure based on what we are seeing, without it we would be looking at about $100 per month in electric.  So far are propane use has been about $125 per month with the furnace running, stove in full use and leaving the water heater on full time.  (I did this purposely to see what kind of maximum draw we could expect - with changes we can definitely bring down the amount and cost but I felt it was good to know worst case).

As for other things....  a lot of people do not realize that depending on your unit, things like the side drawers and cabinets in the sleeping area can actually OPEN to the outside or to one of the cargo bays!  In our unit when we first started we kept feeling air draft in our sleep area.  We finally pulled out the drawers to the side of the bed storage and were shocked to find that in back under the drawer we had pulled out they were actually completely open to the back cargo area!  We could look right into the cargo area, water tank etc.  And this has nothing to do with access of that stuff..  it is just left open for no reason on both sides.  So of course seeing that got me to thinking.. We sealed that up of course then started looking around and found a few more areas like it where openings exists under items, behind items etc...  After sealing them properly and allowing for any venting if that was part of the purpose, it made all the difference in the world for holding heat and stopping drafts.

Most everyone knows about having to seal your windows which are really bad for winter...  but don't forget your door!  The seals are not as good as you might think.. cold has a major impact on the rubber seal.  What we did is take a huge sheet of foam and cut it to 1/2" larger that the door itself.  Then when the door is close, we just insert this into the door jam and it seals all the way around the edges of the door.  Since it is just a big sheet of foam, when you need to go out, just pull the thing away and when you get back in, put it back.. it takes seconds.

Finally, one area people forget is the grey and black water tanks but especially the ELBOW connectors!!  The tanks are not really that big an issue themselves.  BUT the pipes for draining them ARE.  Even though you usually want to leave the black water tank closed and just flush it as it gets full, and leave the grey water tank open, sometimes that may not be possible.  They make a small elbow pipe heater for this purpose... I HIGHLY recommend you add one.  You only need plug it in during the time you are closing the valve to let grey water build up for flushing the black water tank.  Then unplug it once finish if you plan on leaving the grey water tank valve open again.

Well enough for now.. there are some other things we did as well, i.e. creating a insulated 'blanket' that covers the front driver/passenger dash and hangs down blocking out the firewall and under the dash area from draft and cold.  Things like that..

I hope some of these ideas can help others because it has made all the difference for us.  Right now as I type this,  it is still 23.5 degrees F out but it is a nice 70 degrees in here and the furnace is running every 15 minutes or so for 3-4 minutes at a time.

SeilerBird said:
Do you understand how dangerous it is to live in a completely sealed up environment?

I take it you did not catch my reference to maintaining proper ventilation where necessary?

I also assumed that people had enough common sense to know that you have to maintain PROPER ventilation regardless of what you do.  Maintaining proper venting though does not mean leaving huge holes in things like I talked about.

And with an RV, especially an older model, 'sealing' it up is near impossible.  While I have installed smoke, fire and carbon monoxide detectors, I still am prudent about being able to breath.  Additionally, I like fresh air and sometimes I will even open the back window about 1/4 of an inch just to let a tiny bit in while asleep.

So no I am not in a sealed environment but a much more comfortable one for winter.    I

Oscar Mike said:
WOW! I am glad that I live in Southern Nevada...

I was born and raised here and just came home for good a few weeks ago...  I have no problem with season changes or the cold of winter.. I was trained pretty well in my military career and as long as I am not in survival mode out in the open like I was there, anything I have here is luxury!

Malakie said:
I take it you did not catch my reference to maintaining proper ventilation where necessary?
I did not read that part. Your post was very long and boring so I only read the first paragraph or two. My bad, I should have read it all. I am glad you are taking ventilation into account. I have been inside of many RVs that the owner completely sealed up. Very uncomfortable.

Malakie,

I didn't find your post boring.  We used to spend our winters in ski areas in a 5th wheel trailer. 

One more thing you might run into when temperatures drop into the teens or single digits:  the refrigerator won't stay cold unless you "heat" it.  Some people put an electric light between the refrigerator and the outside vent.  We taped up the vents, but not all the way. 

In one trailer, we had heating pads on the water and holding tanks that came on at a preset temperature.  We also had heat tape on the water lines in the basement compartment.  On cold nights, we turned off the city water and used water from the water tank.  Before we had dual pane windows, we used shrink wrap plastic on the windows.  We also ran a dehumidifier a lot to help manage condensation.  At least once a day we opened the door and some windows and ran the Fantastic Fan to bring fresh air in.  We did that during the warmest part of the day, usually when we came back from skiing and we still wearing warm ski suits.

Good luck!

Jeannine

Just an update.. so far doing great..  Cold and Snow here in Wisconsin but easily maintaining a 70 degree temp inside the RV, no condensation and so on..  Using about 50 gallons of propane a month so far running the furnace, stove and water heater full time.  Did put effort into a number of winterizing things which has helped big time overall..

Anyhow, so far things are not too bad and we are comfy..

This next week will give you a good indication of how things will go for the rest of the winter. Winter has come to the upper midwest.

Caryl
*dreaming about Florida*

Hi Malakie,

Sounds like an extreme challenge. Seems like you are taking everything into consideration. I am wondering if we get into below 0 degrees this year how well you'll be able to do. Please keep us posted.

Curious if you have a propane tank sitting there at your site or not. That would be the best route to supplying your camper.

We've talked about this before on the forum (wintering in an RV). I have wondered if it might not be more practical to build a small storage barn, heat the barn, vent the RV outside and then heat the RV to an acceptable temp. inside? That assumes you have land to put it on and funds to build and so on. With your electrical set up you might heat the RV with just a space heater.

Stay warm!!

Thanks for the Good read and information  I decided it would be much easier for me just to head further south  Fort Meyers anyone ???? ;D

Malakie, you're a few more days into the Polar Vortex and temperatures must have dropped a lot more by now.  How are you doing now?

ArdraF

SeilerBird said:
I did not read that part. Your post was very long and boring so I only read the first paragraph or two. My bad, I should have read it all. I am glad you are taking ventilation into account. I have been inside of many RVs that the owner completely sealed up. Very uncomfortable.

Malakie
I didn't find your post boring either.    I appreciate your post and learning from your experience.

SeilerBird said:
I did not read that part. Your post was very long and boring so I only read the first paragraph or two. My bad, I should have read it all.
I'm not understanding the math here.  You apparently considered it a waste of your time to read the whole post, but then posted an uninformed comment, for hundreds of people to waste their time reading it, and requiring the OP to take time to address it.

If you find something boring, that's fine.  Don't read it.  But please don't impose on the rest of us.  I hope this isn't representative of your other 5,000+ posts.

As for the original post, we're in Denver and had a night of 13 below zero, followed by a 6 degree high, followed by a night of 14 below zero, so I understand where you're coming from.  When it got to 22 degrees with sunshine, I was out shoveling snow in shirtsleeves.  It's all relative.  ;D

I'll reiterate Jeannine's suggestion about the absorption refrigerator.  Down around 10 degrees, it's a good idea to add some heat back there, either through a drop light or blocking off the vent, or in our case, both because we didn't catch it until it had already stopped working. 

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom