Doghouse insulation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carson

Hi all,

I am about to attach "Insulation Pad w/Foil backing" to the engine side of the doghouse. I found that the heat transfer, as well as the engine noise needed a bit of attention.
Am using the JC Whitney BLIP11406 material designed for that purpose.

Would like to get a bit of advise from you re best way to apply the stuff. I have the recommended Hi/Temp adhesive. (BLISS100Z-12).

Due to the strange geometric shape for the DH, is it best to cut the pad in strips first and apply each custom-shaped piece one at a time? Or....

Maybe someone has hands-on experience on this, would like to do an excellent job.

Any and all suggestions are welcome.

carson FL  55F

Due to the strange geometric shape for the DH, is it best to cut the pad in strips first and apply each custom-shaped piece one at a time? Or....
That's essentially what I did when I made a similar improvement to a 96 Southwind. Basically I filled the larger areas with as big a piece as would fit and then cut strips of various widths and lengths to gill in the compound curves. I was using foil-backed bubble insualtion, which may be a bit more pliable than what you are using.

Carson, we use the same stuff with the 3m spray conatct adhesive. To top it off, all the seams are covered with the high temp foil tape. This makes the installation look really professional. We have insulated lots of doghouses and genberator compartments. Will cut down on the noise and heat. Make sure the adhesive dries to the touch on both surfaces and that you have precut the pieces- cause that stuff really sticks. Ernie- driving a Wanderlodge

Hi Karl,
  Have not started the installation yet. Still waiting for the return of the MF from the bodyshop.

Re the liner, there is no backing. The stuff looks like a dense felt material, approx 3/8" thick. It is quite pliable and I don't foresee any problems cutting it to shape.

The glue acts like a contact-cement, as Ernie mentioned.

I'll report back when I get it finished, IF I ever get the machine back.  :)
  Thanks for your input, Ernie.

carson FL  76.8F

The material we have used from JC Whitney is a full inch thick with a heavy rubber layer in the middle. I believe the thicker stuff would help in a better heat and noise reduction. Ernie- driving a wanderlodge

Ernie,  do you have a part number for that stuff so I can check it out?

I don't know how much clearance there is exactly. 1" is pretty hefty.
My noise level is not bad, so I guess I'll go with my stuff as a first try.

Thanks for the info.
carson FL  77.7F

Sorry, I don't have a part number. You might search JC's site
Ernie-driving a wanderlodge

I'd suggest that while you are in that area that you verify that all of the edge seals are still intact & sealing properly.  We have experienced that the leaking seals can be a major source of heat and some noice.  I've used the adhesive backed foam tape used for pickup caps, and in some places made it 2-3 layers thick to fill gaps.  Sealing against carpet is also a source for leaks thru the fibers.  Removing the carpet in those areas also helps create a tight seal.  We've also had a few leaks along the firewall at various panel joints.  Spray expanding sealing foam fixed those spots.

Thanks, Robert F. for that info.
Will give all areas a close inspection when I get started on the project.
I really don't have a major noise problem. but my lttle wood tray/drawer on top of the DH gets extremely hot. Don't dare to leave any electronic toys in it while driving i.e. cellphone, calculator etc.
Thanks again
Carson FL  74.7F

Time for a little recap on my project.

The installation went without a hitch. The product is very forgiving and was easier to attach than I thought.

Haven't noticed any real results yet, noise or heat. Probably will find out when the rig hits the road again in a couple of months.

Photo of the finished product attached. Will be happy to answer any questions.

carson FL  86.2F

OOPS, photo entry went astray. Hope this one works..

Guess I have to read the book again...  :-[

Attachments

• winneb~1.jpg
    0 bytes · Views: 132
Good morning, Karl.
  Yes it turned out fine. I used the adhesive supplied by JC Whitney. Has a great name:

New and improved " STICKY STUFF" Spray Adhesive
  High Strength / High Temperature

Manufactured for Bonded Logic, Inc.  AZ

Very easy to apply.  I bought standard heating duct foil tape from HD, small roll.

Have a great day,  carson FL

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThiWanderer
Back
Top Bottom