Panguitch Lake report

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
Today we drove over to the renowned Panguitch Lake, in the Dixie National Forest, approx 18 miles SW of the town of Panguitch, UT on SR 143. I wanted to check out the fishing possibilities in the lake and surrounding streams in addition to the campgrounds.

The lake is relatively small and had a stiff breeze blowing across it, causing some chop and white caps. Shore access is available at several points, but quite a bit of shoreline is private land (fenced off). There are several launch ramps if someone wishes to take their boat. There are also several "resorts" around the lake that offer boat rentals.

The only camping allowed is in designated campgrounds. There are several private campgrounds around the lake. Panguitch Lake Resort has a number of large dirt pullthrough sites with full hookups and no trees (unless you count the dandelions in the grass). They say that the only time the CG fills up is on holiday weekends. Rustic Lodge RV park is limited to 30' length and has lots of trees that would inhibit getting into the sites. Lakeview Resort (aka Bear Paw) doesn't have good access and we couldn't get anyone to talk to us about the place. We were also deluged with flies when we stopped at the office, probably attracted by whatever the foul smell was.

We also checked out several National Forest campgrounds. Panguitch Lake NF North campground, accessed from SR 143, has many large sites, both back-in and pullthrough. Some of the sites are in the trees, while others are satellite friendly. The sister "South" campground across the highway has mostly small sites and would be difficult to access in anything bigger than a van or a class C.

White Bridge NF campground, also accessed from SR 143, has a number of decent sized sites with good access, but is not as satellite friendly. This CG is also close to a nice-looking creek that runs alongside the highway.

My photos will have to wait until until I get at least one green bar on my air card (I'm currently operating one red bar). I'll also add more comments when I gather my thoughts.

If you're planning on fishing Panguitch Lake, be advised of the new trout regulation effective Jan 1, 2007 - see attached.

Attachments

• 2007regs.jpg
    2007regs.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 57
Tom

Similar fish rules on Lake pend Oreille in ID....Betty almost cried having to throw back 19-20" Rainbows.<G>

Terry,

I practice catch & release, so those restrictions don't bother me. But I can imagine what it's like for folks who don't.

Hey Tom,

The Panguitch area is one of my favorite summer haunts since I am living in Las Vegas. I have spent a lot of time fishing the Sevier river south of Panguitch. I am a fly fisherman and also practice catch and release. I have heard that Panguitch has came back well from the fish kill of last spring. I am going to be up there for a week around June 11th. And plan to stay down on the Sevier. We will do a trip up to the lake to give it a go also.
Thanks for the report.

Rick

Hi Rick. Glad to hear I'm in good (fly fishing, catch & release) company.

I'm not sure I'll fish the lake and I'll probably stick to the rivers/streams. Where exactly do you access the Servier River?

TIA.

Tom,

Thanks for the report.  We never made it to PAngitch because the year we planned the trip was a snow year and the lake had not opened.  Not sure which place we had planned on staying at but they called us periodically and gave us updates on the weather.  Had planned to return this year but our move had interferred.  Next year..

This Fall we can plan on a few days on the Kern River but lets wait on our son to be back so he can be our free guide for the weekend. 

Picutre of Kern attached on the local guide and our son is the featured fisherman on the cover..tim

Attachments

• ChrisKern.jpg
    ChrisKern.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 94
Hi Tim. Neat photo! I recognize your son from prior photos that Marsha posted.

Frank, I have no idea. As I said, I probably wouldn't fish the lake, preferring to fish the streams.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Claassen
Back
Top Bottom