Motorhome decal removal - opinions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Should that multicolored stripe...

• Be removed for a cleaner look?

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • Be kept intact (factory look)?

Votes: 2 33.3%

• Total voters

scottydl

Site Team
I was discussing the possibility of removing a section of the "stripe" decals from my '94 Residency, for a couple reasons... (1) the stripes are kinda chipped and worn in several areas, and maybe they'd look better GONE, and (2) late model motorhomes seems to have less horizontal stripes and a cleaner exterior with some swoopy curved lines instead.  So the two attached images show a rough estimate of the difference (about 5 minutes time in Microsoft Paint ;))... the BEFORE picture is the current factory look, and the AFTER picture is with the multicolored stripe removed.

In my head I always thought the removal of the stripe would look much better.  But now that I see an example of it missing, maybe the exterior is *too* bare and impersonal that way.  Opinions?  (Vote above :))

Attachments

• BEFORE.jpg
    BEFORE.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 145
  • AFTER.JPG
    AFTER.JPG
    51.6 KB · Views: 111
Scotty: That motorhome is good looking. Leave it alone. You gotta have something better to do!  8)

Like your ride, I'm older. I have a few scratches and worn spots. Think of it as distinguished. (At least, that's what folks tell me to do.  ::)  )

Ray D  ;D

Scotty,

One thing you should also consider is that the gelcoat under the stripes will be a different shade than the rest of the MH.  You will be able to see where the stripes were.  Now if you were going to re-paint the whole thing ...    :-((

My favorite paint scheme was on a large motorhome, all white, no decals, no painted graphics, not even a manufacturer or model label on it.  I couldn't tell what it was, but it really looked nice.  Did show the dirt too much :)

First of all, great job of using MS Paint.  That's not the easiest program to use for something like that.  Good job.  Second, I actually kinda like it.  I don't think it takes too much away.  I would be worried though about what kind of "leftover" would be leftover though.  If you plan on maybe doing something else with the area where the striping is removed, I'd say go for it.  It's gonna be a tough one though deciding on whether to procede or not.  If you did a small test area, there's no going back if it didn't look right.  Good luck and let us know what you decide.

I REALLY like the after pic. I think that looks great. As pointed out though, I wonder about the difference in the paint. You might be able to use buffing or polishing compound to blend the finish. That worked pretty well for me when I debadged my truck.

I have always wondered why RV finishes are kinda gaudy.

Ray D said:
Scotty: That motorhome is good looking. Leave it alone. You gotta have something better to do!  8)

Oh I do, I do.  :)  This is just more of a "what if" or "someday" project than anything else. 

James Godward said:
One thing you should also consider is that the gelcoat under the stripes will be a different shade than the rest of the MH.  You will be able to see where the stripes were.

Yeah, that idea of "ghosting" doesn't appeal to me either.  Although the model name decal "Residency by Thor" has already been removed (prior to my ownership) from below the passenger rear bedroom window.  Although there are slight visible traces of the lettering if you look down the side of the coach at *just* the right angle, overall there's little evidence of the previous decals.

I to wanted to take my decals off my motorhome since they are faded and cracked. I peeled a tiny section off and was shock to discover that under the decal was primer. I check other decals and pinstripping and they all have primer under them. Is this dumb or what?  I will have to find the same size decal and pinstripping.    :-\

Serrano4657 said:
I to wanted to take my decals off my motorhome since they are faded and cracked. I peeled a tiny section off and was shock to discover that under the decal was primer. I check other decals and pinstripping and they all have primer under them. Is this dumb or what?  I will have to find the same size decal and pinstripping.    :-\

Are you sure the paint wasn't stuck to the back of the decal?  That could happen if the surface prep before painting was poor.

It seems unlikely there is a painted surface underneath the decals, though I have seen it occasionally on the lower sides (bay doors) where the decal continues on below the "belt line" to the lower edge of the sidewall.  The bay doors and lower belt area may be painted even thought the rest of the sidewall and front cap is not.  But usually if an manufacturer uses decals, he does not use paint on the sides. Kind of a one or the other scenario. [I always end up wrong when I say stuff like this, but I'm going with the odds on this one].  Masking off around decals and painting around them is expensive, whereas decals are a low cost solution to trimming the sides and end caps. You just don't see the two used together very often.

So I'm wondering if the "primer" is in fact a backing layer of the decal? The backing can be very thin and difficult to remove. Of if it was applied over paint (especially recently applied paint), maybe you did remove the paint as well when you peeled it off.

So many different possibilities.  I am going to storage tomorrow to get a few things out of the RV and I will look closer at the decal to see if the paint is on the back of the decal. Maybe the gray is the back of the decal and it will come off. I will keep all of you posted.

After owning a motorhome for about 6 months, I can't believe what an expensive hobby camping is.  Maybe that tent I sold wasn't so bad after all.  ;)

Ok Rv Roamer, you were right.

The gray color on the rv is the backing from the decal. I looked closer and the gray comes off with a little effort. Maybe next year I will strip my motorhome and put all new decals and pinstripping. A lot of work, but the paint is in good condition at least.
Thanks for all the help.

Glad the "primer" turned out to be removable.

Maybe next year I will strip my motorhome and put all new decals and pinstripping.

You aren't going to find factory replacement decals, so start thinking about alternatives. You can get custom decals made (fairly expensive) or have striping painted on at a local shop. Neither are very reasonable (price-wise) for a 94 motorhome.

Yeh, I know I can't find the same decals, and I really don't want the same thing anyway. I want something more simple too.
Thanks.

I have seen decales for sale in some of the surplus/salvage pllaces listed in the library.  They might just have something that fits your fancy.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
merlee&drebug
Back
Top Bottom