Slideout capacity

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shamilton

I just bought a 2005, 30 foot, Keystone Outback travel trailer.  The slideout contains the dinette and the sofa.  The owner's manual does not give a max weight for it.  The support beams look pretty strong though.  I am wondering if I should use extra support underneath it to prevent bending anything. Thanks!

99 times out of 100 you will screw things up if you don't know what the heck you are doing.  They've done 1000s and they all seem to work just fine.  JMO

I use the slideout supports on ours, but only adjust then till they just touch the braces, and it helps take out some of the movement when someone is sleeping on it. If you do use them, don't crank them up too far and put pressure on the slide arms.

I wouldn't worry about it, unless perhaps you are over 300 lbs. Keystone is a reputable builder and I can't remember hearing of a loading problem on a slideout since the early 90's.  Some people use the slide supports to solve a rocking problem, but even that is not common on the better trailers. And heed Shane and Janpaul's warnings if you do decide to use them - you can damage the mechanism otherwise.

I guy was relating his sad experience when he used supports under the slide on his Newmar MH.  Forgot to remove the supports before raising the jacks.  He indicated it was a very expensive mistake.  It was after the even that the same dealer that sold him the supports for his slide in the first place asked why he felt he needed supports under the slide.

The lippert slide frame is something on the order of 2 1/2" tube steel. Also, when the slide is extended, the inside frameing is supported against the inside walls. The frame may warp if you put an extra 1000 lbs or so in it.

Personally, I would not use a slide support jack. Any trailer movement could put upward stress on the slide frame and at the same time cause the inside top of the slide framework to move away from the interior wal. If nothing else, it will 'break' the seal (create a gap) between the trailer wall and slide.

Larry

2006F350 said:
Personally, I would not use a slide support jack. Any trailer movement could put upward stress on the slide frame and at the same time cause the inside top of the slide framework to move away from the interior wal. If nothing else, it will 'break' the seal (create a gap) between the trailer wall and slide.

Larry

I wouldn't recommend it either for the same reasons.

Back
Top Bottom