Trucks and Fivers my .02 worth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dhamblet

I pull my 15,000 lb Dutchmen 35SRV with a Dodge SRW, 4WD, 6 speed manual, Longbed, Quadcab.

I have learned a lot about trucks and fifth wheels that I didn't know 4 years ago. 

The Trailer
When looking at trailers I first thought the open plan trailers would work fine.  But if you're going to live in the trailer for any period of time they suck.  Ypu will get fuel and oil smells and spills plus the decor is cheap, tacky, and by and large uncomfortable.  So we compromised and got trailer with a separate garage that would haul 2 toys.  My motorcycle and my quad.  When you buy make sure that when loaded the trailer can haul the weight you plan to put in it.  Some fifth wheels with slides weigh so much empty that adding one dirt bike will put them overweight.

Since buying the trailer we have broken off 3 spring hangers because the ones Lippert puts on the frames (they make most of them) are too small and poorly designed and break off - usually at the most inoppertune times.  So plan on meeting some welders on the road if you are loaded out.

The Truck
My first truck was a 2005 Dodge Cummins 3500, 4wd, SRW, AT, Quad Cab, shortbed.  When pulling with this truck I had a couple of painful learning experiences.  I hit the cab twice with the nose of the fifth wheel causing mionor body damage and major repair bills.  First time I had installed a Reese 15k with a slider hitch.  When pulling out of a service station I hit the left cab corner putting a dent in the cab.  FIxed that and bought a Pullrite automatic slide hitch.  When backing into an uphill spot in a RV park I hit the left cab corner again denting the cab.  I also had a problem slowing the load on down grades and realized I needed an exhaust brake.

I sold the truck a year later.  Problems with the Dodge is the short bed is shorter than either Ford or Chevy.  The rear axle is also closer to the cab by 6" to 1' than a Ford or Chevy short bed.  Since thats where your hitch is centered is causes problems with big fivers.

So I looked at Fords and Chevys -- and DOdges.  Ford was very proud of their product tp the tune of about $10,000 more than a comparably equipped Dodge.  They also are reputed to have transmission problems with their AT.  Chevy also was a bit higher than Dodge and I was bothered by the aluminum heads and cast iron block - recepie for head gasket failures.  I also learned the "Allison" tranny they use is Allison only in name.  Its not the beefy Allison most people expect when they hear the name.  Its a specially constructed tranny specifically designed for light duty pickups - I was not impressed.  But it did great on down grades slowing the load.  ALso Chevy did not claim the GCVW rating that Dodge did.  I like the ergonomics of the Chevy cab and I think the Ford is a very nice truck.

But I bought another Dodge CTD Quad cab but this time I got a long bed with a 6 speed manual.  Since used Dodge trucks hold their value pretty well I didn't lose much between the 2005 and the new 2006 truck.  Thats why I bought new anyway because I could buy a new one for not much more than used ones were selling for.  Shop around and dicker a lot.  Then I installed a Pacbrake - its fantastic.  The new truck also came with Sirius Radio and a sunroof and little more cost - the 2005 did not have these options available.

Denny
2004 Dutchmen 35SRV  Toy Hauler (38.5')
2006 Dodge CTD, Quad Cab, SRW, 4wd, LB, 6 speed., pacbrake
2004 Harley Ultra Classic
2006 CanAm 400 Max

Good report, Denny. Thanks.

The Allison 1000 or 2000  is certainly not the robust tranny that its cousins the 3000 and 4000 series are, but it is plenty strong for a 22-26,000 lb load. Had one in a previous Class A motorhome and toted nearly 26,000 lbs all over the USA several times without a bit of difficulty. It's a good solid tranny, even if it isn't designed for 40k loads. Lot so folks here hauling 35-40 foot trailers with Chevys and GMC using the Allison too.

dhamblet said:
FIxed that and bought a Pullrite automatic slide hitch.  When backing into an uphill spot in a RV park I hit the left cab corner again denting the cab.   

I am wondering how it's possible to bang the cab into the fiver when the PullRite auto slider is installed.  Did the PullRite not work correctly, or was the uphill grade so severe that it caused the impact (versus the trailer being turned at a severe angle)?

As a future PullRite and 5er owner, I'm just trying to understand what to watch out for.

Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving, All!
Gary

Pullrite worked just like it was designed and it was installed correctly.  But I was backing up a slight incline into my spot while turning slightly and the incline tips the back of the trailer up and the front down and toward the truck.  Thats all I can figure.  Either that or I wasn't turned enough to fully actuate the sliding cam mechanism.  At any rate you really aren't looking at the nose of the trailer when jockeying it into a RV spot.  ALso as I said the Dodge short bed is too damn short -- significantly so when compared to a Ford or Chevy.  If you have a chance measure the distance from the center of the rear axle to the cab on a Dodge shortbed and then on a Chev or Ford.  If I recall correctly it is almost a foot closer on the Dodge than the Chev and about 6" closer than the Ford.

The Quad Cab shortbed really is short in the bed - they steal bed space for the extra large cab. Ford & GM use a longer wheel base for the bigger cabs, so you still actually get a 6.5 or 8 foot bed. But there are some 5.5 foot bed models there too, so if you plan to pull a trailer you need to keep the bed spec in mind as well as a bunch of other items.

Yep, same bed on the much vaunted Megacab as well.  Dodge really wasn't thinking about pulling fifth wheels when they designed the Megacab.

Nope, the MegaCab is a great truck for hauling your familiies and stuff in, and maybe even a gooseneck.  Also great for a fully loaded huge TT.  But there's just plain and simple not enough room for a good 5er.  And the MegaCab dually is just the goofiest looking thing.  Kinda like the rear fenders were an afterthough.  Oh well, whatcha gonna do.  Seems like no one will ever make the perfect truck...you know, a Ford body with their built-in brake controller, with a Cummins diesel, and an Allison tranny!  Wow, what a truck that would be!

edjunior said:
Nope, the MegaCab is a great truck for hauling your familiies and stuff in, and maybe even a gooseneck.  Also great for a fully loaded huge TT.  But there's just plain and simple not enough room for a good 5er.  And the MegaCab dually is just the goofiest looking thing.  Kinda like the rear fenders were an afterthough.  Oh well, whatcha gonna do.  Seems like no one will ever make the perfect truck...you know, a Ford body with their built-in brake controller, with a Cummins diesel, and an Allison tranny!  Wow, what a truck that would be!

Seems like I remember that with a Ford 550 and 650 you can do just that, pick your engine and transmission, unless they have changed.

Shayne said:
Those New Fords aren't too shabby the way they are.

You, my friend are absolutely correct.  The new Fords aren't too shabby.....

The F350 crew cab with the 6.4 is one very-nice truck.  The best I have ever owned.  It is a very strong, roomy and stable towing vehicle, and it likes to work!  However, it is going to be expensive to operate, but I knew that going in.

All in all, my wife and I love the truck.  It makes traveling with the TT very enjoyable. :)

dhamblet said:
I pull my 15,000 lb Dutchmen 35SRV with a Dodge SRW, 4WD, 6 speed manual, Longbed, Quadcab.

I have learned a lot about trucks and fifth wheels that I didn't know 4 years ago. 

The Trailer
When looking at trailers I first thought the open plan trailers would work fine.  But if you're going to live in the trailer for any period of time they suck.  Ypu will get fuel and oil smells and spills plus the decor is cheap, tacky, and by and large uncomfortable.  So we compromised and got trailer with a separate garage that would haul 2 toys.  My motorcycle and my quad.  When you buy make sure that when loaded the trailer can haul the weight you plan to put in it.  Some fifth wheels with slides weigh so much empty that adding one dirt bike will put them overweight.

Since buying the trailer we have broken off 3 spring hangers because the ones Lippert puts on the frames (they make most of them) are too small and poorly designed and break off - usually at the most inoppertune times.  So plan on meeting some welders on the road if you are loaded out.

The Truck
My first truck was a 2005 Dodge Cummins 3500, 4wd, SRW, AT, Quad Cab, shortbed.  When pulling with this truck I had a couple of painful learning experiences.  I hit the cab twice with the nose of the fifth wheel causing mionor body damage and major repair bills.  First time I had installed a Reese 15k with a slider hitch.  When pulling out of a service station I hit the left cab corner putting a dent in the cab.  FIxed that and bought a Pullrite automatic slide hitch.  When backing into an uphill spot in a RV park I hit the left cab corner again denting the cab.   I also had a problem slowing the load on down grades and realized I needed an exhaust brake.

I sold the truck a year later.  Problems with the Dodge is the short bed is shorter than either Ford or Chevy.   The rear axle is also closer to the cab by 6" to 1' than a Ford or Chevy short bed.  Since thats where your hitch is centered is causes problems with big fivers.

So I looked at Fords and Chevys -- and DOdges.  Ford was very proud of their product tp the tune of about $10,000 more than a comparably equipped Dodge.  They also are reputed to have transmission problems with their AT.  Chevy also was a bit higher than Dodge and I was bothered by the aluminum heads and cast iron block - recepie for head gasket failures.  I also learned the "Allison" tranny they use is Allison only in name.  Its not the beefy Allison most people expect when they hear the name.  Its a specially constructed tranny specifically designed for light duty pickups - I was not impressed.  But it did great on down grades slowing the load.  ALso Chevy did not claim the GCVW rating that Dodge did.  I like the ergonomics of the Chevy cab and I think the Ford is a very nice truck.

But I bought another Dodge CTD Quad cab but this time I got a long bed with a 6 speed manual.  Since used Dodge trucks hold their value pretty well I didn't lose much between the 2005 and the new 2006 truck.  Thats why I bought new anyway because I could buy a new one for not much more than used ones were selling for.  Shop around and dicker a lot.  Then I installed a Pacbrake - its fantastic.  The new truck also came with Sirius Radio and a sunroof and little more cost - the 2005 did not have these options available.

Denny
2004 Dutchmen 35SRV  Toy Hauler (38.5')
2006 Dodge CTD, Quad Cab, SRW, 4wd, LB, 6 speed., pacbrake
2004 Harley Ultra Classic
2006 CanAm 400 Max
the allison tranny in my 02' 2500HD is most definately all allison. not as "heavy duty" as some of allisons bigger trannys for bigger applications but i'll take it over anything ford or dodge can come up with. don't know where you got your info but way out of whack........

the allison tranny in my 02' 2500HD is most definately all allison. not as "heavy duty" as some of allisons bigger trannys for bigger applications but i'll take it over anything ford or dodge can come up with. don't know where you got your info but way out of whack.....

Got my info at the Chevy dealer while shopping new trucks a year and a half ago.  I agree with you about Ford and DOdge automatics and the Allison --- well, not totally sure about the new Dodge 68RFE -- it seems to be a pretty good unit.  But anyway thats why I bought a 6 speed standard - no automatic to worry about.

dhamblet said:
Chevy also was a bit higher than Dodge and I was bothered by the aluminum heads and cast iron block - recepie for head gasket failures. 

I spoke with a friends dad who has been a GM mechanic for 35 years.  He told me the gasket is made of ceramic.  It was a bit of a problem in the first model year due to being too thin but was resolved with a thicker bracket.  No significant problems since.

I've had an 04 since Dec 03 -- no problems with tranny or DMax.  I do really enjoy the power of the diesels.

I'm always glad to hear fromanother happy Dodge enthusiast !!

I honestly feel like the Dodge Cummmins truck is as close to perfect as you are going to get, especially with the other two players moving further and further away from the bar these days.  ;)

I'll still take the Ford.  There's a reason they are no.1, and it sure isn't price.  JMO

UH OH -- I hear brand wars.........  I've owned all three & they have all been good.  90% of the battle is just taking good care of them.

Consummer Reports rated the big three diesel pickups about two months ago.  One of the three trucks came out on top by a large margin.

dhamblet said:
Yep, same bed on the much vaunted Megacab as well.   Dodge really wasn't thinking about pulling fifth wheels when they designed the Megacab.
Interesting.  I have a '06 2500 4x4 Megacab w/ 5.9 Cummins looking to tow a 5th wheel.  At first, I was/am worried about payload cap., now you all got me thinking about the length of the bed.  Honestly, that's a good thing.  I don't want to be in a position of denting the cab.  Wow!  So much to consider. 

Back
Top Bottom