Blowout!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gottasmilealot

A pickup truck pulling a trailer with tandem axles passed me today on Rt I-80 doing about 65 when the right rear tire blew out on the trailer being towed.  The driver drove two exits before realizing something was wrong. TWO EXITS! Unbelievable.  A tractor trailer and I ran side-by-side in the two lanes behind the smoking mess with our flashers on to prevent others from running up behind the problem driver so others wouldn't pass not knowing what was going on ahead of us, while flashing our lights to get the driver's attention. How one can tow a trailer and not look in their mirrors for two exits is beyond me.  After several miles, finally the tire was gone and we didn't have to drive in blue smoke. At least the rig didn't catch fire.

Hard to tell if something happens way back there. Same thing applies if you are towing a car behind the motorhome and lose a tire - odds are you won't even know it unless somebody flags you down.  That's one of the reasons for having a tire pressure monitor system on the coach that includes the toad tires - it will tell you if you lose a tire back there.

So will an occasional glance in the mirrors, but some people drive while oblivious to what's going on. When blue smoke obsures the traffic behind you, and traffic is weaving to avoid chunks of your tires, that's a real good indication, but some people don't look in their mirrors, which is a dangerious practice. A driver should know what's going on around them, whether they're part of the action or not.

Good grief.  Some people just dont realize you need to check your rear view from time to time.  Hes lucky he did not loose the trailer.

That guy would be doing himself a big favor if he would invest in a Pressure Pro TPMS.

Ron, that guy probably wouldn't remember to plug it in!  He's living in his own world.  Scary thought, isn't it!  :eek:

ArdraF

RV Roamer said:
Hard to tell if something happens way back there. Same thing applies if you are towing a car behind the motorhome and lose a tire - odds are you won't even know it unless somebody flags you down.  That's one of the reasons for having a tire pressure monitor system on the coach that includes the toad tires - it will tell you if you lose a tire back there.

And if pulling a trailer, one doesn't see "anything" in the rear view mirror other than the front end of the trailer. The side mirrors on a lot of pick ups do not extend far enough to ge a good view either -- or they are those strap on kind that are almost useless and very dangerous.

Today I was on the 10 between Phoenix and Quartzsite and took notice of an 18 wheeler's mirrors in front of me. Remembering that if I can't see the driver in her mirrors, she can't see me -- for the first time I noticed how far back I had to be in order to see those side mirrors. So by the same token, the driver can't see a thing behind them closer than probably 30 yards or so.

Was wondering if there is such a thing as cameras on big rigs?

I had this happen to me on a rear tire on a Bronco I was pulling behind our prior coach. I'll admit to not paying enough attention to mirrors that day, concentrating as much as I could on the road ahead. A passing pickup truck driver honked his horn and pointed down to the roadway. That's when I saw signs of smoke back there, although it wasn't obvious it was coming from the Bronco.

I pulled over and sure enough the tire was pretty much burned out. I assumed I'd had a flat, but hadn't noticed any additional drag on the coach. I waited at the roadside until the tire and rim had cooled down enough for me to put on the spare.

I'd never heard of remote tire pressure monitors at that time, but did suggest the idea to the marketing manager of a pressure sensor company I had business dealings with a few years later; They'd already thought of it.

Not too long after my experience, I read about a couple in another state (IIRC it was Idaho) who experienced the same problem. They pulled over and inadvertently started a roadside fire which turned into a large forest fire. The couple received a bill for $1M for the fire fighting effort.

These two stories sure motivate me to screw on the PPro sensors and turn on the monitor. By the same token, they make me paranoid when I lose signal on one or more sensors.

I'm sure many of us here have made some dumb mistakes over the years and learned from them. One of the reasons some of us participate here is so we can pass along our experience for the benefit of others. Let's not be too quick condemn mistakes, or some folks won't be so willing to share their experiences.

These two stories sure motivate me to screw on the PPro sensors and turn on the monitor. By the same token, they make me paranoid when I lose signal on one or more sensors.

I sure would not want to be without a TPMS after having the Pressure Pro.

Many years ago after we started full-timing we had a flat on the Ford Ranger we were towing when someone passed us and pointed to the truck and said we had a flat and it was smoking.  Instantly, I checked the side mirrors and the back-up camera and couldn't see anything including smoke and had felt nothing.  We were able to pull to the side of I-10 on the Mobile Bridge immediately and the tire was ruined including the rim.  In this case checking the mirrors would have told me nothing.  We were very thankful for the warning from this passing vehicle because if they hadn't the truck might have caught fire which would have been to late to save both vehicles.  We have PP now which saves us much worry.

Thebig problem is that even looking in the mirrors one likely would not see smoke on a vehicle being towed trailers or cars as LOrna mentioned happened to them.  Likely the driver won't even feel the vehicle being towed even if it gets to the point of running on the rim.  More reasons for investing in a TPMS such as the Pressure Pro.

A couple of years ago, a wheel bearing failed on a small ATV trailer I was towing.  I didn't see it but it was hot enough that it was creating some smoke.  Another driver passed me, tooted his horn and pointed down.  I pulled over and then noticed the damage.  I don't have sensors on my TT's tires.  I should probably get them and maybe I will.  Do those of you that have them on your TT's remove them if you put them in storage?  As expensive as they are, I would be concerned about theft.

We, too, were driving down the highway and had a flat on our Jeep Liberty.  My husband felt nothing and saw nothing in the mirrors, but a motorist driving by signalled to us.  Many passed, but it was a group of young kids in a sports car...at first we didn't know if they were messing with us or what their intentions were...we decided to pull over, even though we didn't see or feel any signs of trouble.  Lucky for us, they did what they did and we pulled over to find a flat...and before we ruined the rim.  We haven't yet, but do plan on getting a tire monitoring system soon...still researching.  Like someone said, though...don't be too quick to judge...sometimes you just can't see or feel things happening back there...even with a back camera. :eek:

We were always concerned about having a flat on the toad and not knowing it before it was too late.  However, After we bought the Pressure Pro we are much more relaxed while traveling.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lizwood71
Back
Top Bottom