Really Ugly Water Stain

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom and Margi

During one of our recent torrential rainstorms in Oregon this year, we had a leak through our crank-up batwing TV antenna.  The stain on the headliner was really pretty ugly.  First I used Folex, which didn't do anything noticeable.  Next, I tried a product I had on hand which we bought at Lowe's last year call Krudbuster -- or something like that -- I've since tossed the empty bottle.  Then, I tried Fantastik.  Using three different cleaners really exacerbated the problem, and I should have known better.  The stain on the headliner was now rust colored instead of merely brown.

Then, on the premise that I couldn't make ugly any uglier at this point, I tried Woolite Oxy Deep Spot & Stain Carpet Cleaner.  The stain has all but disappeared.  I'm confident that a couple more applications over the next few days should bring us back to normal.  I wish I had tried it first.

I just love it when something (finally) works!

Margi

Margi,  just a hint.

When trying to remove the last traces of the stain, try not to get the carpet pile wet too deep.  This sometimes just causes the stain to leech out anew.  Just dampen and rub the outer fibers with your choice of cleaner and they should return to their original color.  Been there, done that.  I have a Bounder with the carpeted ceiling, also.  Good luck

Thanks for the suggestion, Lou.  I'll try it after I let it dry completely out.  Some of the stain is reappearing, but about 80% is gone.  I probably got it too wet on my first try this morning.  Our Bounder is a 1995 which we bought new in 1996, so I guess a few fix-it jobs are to be expected.  It sure has been a trouble free rig.

Margi

Margi,

Glad the Woolite worked.  Here's the way I got water stains out of the ceiling of our Alfa:

"Pour 8 oz. of liquid bleach into a 32 oz. spray bottle.  Fill the rest of bottle with water.

"Protect any furniture below area from overspray, and consider doing the same for any panel or trims, that might receive "overspray, as the bleach solution will do just that to other materials.

"Mist the stained area. Then take a clean white cloth and dab the misted/stained area with the white cloth. I assume the idea is to dab the bleach solution into the stained area gently, so it can bleach the stain color out.

Allow to dry 4-6 hours, and the stain should be gone. If not, a second application might be necessary, whether it be because the stain is heavy or because one was too cautious with the first application."

I found these instructions on the NuWa owners forum after trying Folex and many other cleaners.  The bleach solution worked beautifully.

It was good to see you & Tom again.  We're off tomorrow for Bend & Mt. Bachelor.

Jeannine

I was (and am) afraid to use bleach on my Bounder ceiling.  It's a pale blue, and it is nylon, or some other man made material, so maybe it's color fast, but I would still be cautious.  A bleached white spot will never come out.

Thanks for the bleach solution, Jeanine.  Like Lou, I was hesitant to try bleach because I was afraid of a white spot.  Our ceiling carpet is sort of a grayish white.  I have another stain to work on around the shower skylight, so I'll try the bleach solution there. 

It was nice seeing you and Dan again, too.  Your new 5th wheel is absolutely beautiful.  I'm definitely coveting all that counter space, not to mention the huge TV. 

Margi

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Claassen
Back
Top Bottom