GPS ??? Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DieselJay

Looking to go cross country this summer and was wondering if there are downloads for GPS's that will help with staying off of Parkway's and other roads that are not supposed to be used by trucks with 5th wheels.  Have had many problems with this in the past on other trips, especially when getting around big city's.  The GPS I have is a Garmin nuvi 205W.  Is there anything for this brand, or does any other make have something?

Not sure about your 205W, but my 255 has a setting.  Look under "Tools" - "Settings" - "Navigation" - "Avoidances".  Check the ones you want in effect.  It's not real definitive, but might accomplish what you are after. (I have them all checked most of the time).

I have the Garmin nuvi 465T which is designed for trucks but can be used by cars as well. The setting allow me to set the height of my 5er and overall length of the 5er and truck to avoid roads that I have no business being on. I haven't used it with the 5er yet but have with the truck and it seems to be pretty standard at the car setting. This one has been talked about frequently on this site and I picked it up for just over $300 at Camping World.

Bob

We have had our 465t for almost 2 years now. It does an excellent job of keeping us off of roads which we should not be on. Big red warnings come on to the screen. It could be as little as a section with only local delivery truck use or a low overhead or underweight bridge. In truck mode, you won't be able to use the Garmin on the Hutch, it'll just be all red with warnings.

Amazon has the 465t for $268 and there are lots of negative reviews, as well as positive ones. I gather you (two) have had good experiences with it, though.

Thanks everyone for your input.  Looks like I'm going to have to get a truckers GPS like everyone is saying on this site.  Checked my GPS and it does not have any setting to turn on or off.  And I can not find any downloads from Garmin.  Will look into that 465 you guys are talking about.

One thing I will say.. When you get that GPS take a look at the size of the screen.

Now,, are you usling a laptop to read this message, Consider the size of it's screen.

There are several mapping programs for PC's.. Streets & Trips, Rand McNalley, CO-Pilot (which is designed for truckers) Delorme and more.. all have the option of a GPS receiver which plugs in the UPS port.

Guess what I use (HINT:S&T)

Guess what I use (HINT:S&T)

I use both the 465t and have S&T running on my computer while we are on the road. When the Garmin and S&T differ, I usually go with the Garmin because I know I won't wind up under a low overpass, over an overweight bridge or on a truck challenged route.

Granted there are a number of issues that could be improved with the 465t, but nothing that is insurmountable.

When I say that the 465t isn't usable it is because all the mapping and other navigation info is covered by the red warning signs when you try to drive someplace you shouldn't. Once when I drove over a 20t bridge still listed in the NTTS data base as a 5t bridge, the display did just that to me. When I switched to car mode, the warnings disappeared. The biggest issue I have with truck routing is Garmin's bias toward it's route hierarchy; Interstates first choice, US highways 2nd choice, state route 3rd choice, country route 4th choice and finally local road. In many cases a local or lower ranked road was ignored even tho it was shorter and a better road. While you can structure your preferences, that can reduce routing over higher hierarchy roads when they would be better choices.

Here is a link to a new GPS coming out in June made by Rand McNally just for rvers.
http://store.randmcnally.com/tripmaker-rvnd-5510.html

I love the size of the screen on my magellan roadmate 1700 its 7". I put it up by the rear view mirror. it did a good job going from IL to TX only problem was trying to find Sam's in San Marcos TX. It took us into some neighborhood. It needed an update but there was so much new constuction I don't know if that would have even helped. The feature I am waiting to use is the video input you plug in and when is senses power it turns into monitor will be great as a backup screen.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom