It is hot, stay cool

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blue Road Blogger

Record temps here in Eastern USA.  Get some shade, LOTS of water and travel when it's cooler.  We were off the road at 10:42 am.  Going back on the road after sunset...

Tim and Mary

Sweating in Marietta, Ohio

Washington County Fairgrounds

Ah...Marietta, Ohio, where the buildings have the water mark on the buildings marked from the flooding. Home of the stern wheeler festival. And the evening  cruises on the water for the fireworks.

Neat Town, but very hot and humid this time of year.

Stay Cool, and enjoy

Good thing that "climate change" stuff is a hoax; wonder what the temperature would be if it were true?  :p

The refrigerator doesn't like the hot weather, either, especially on propane. Gets up into the 50 degree range during the day, when we are traveling. Tips?

Pierat said:
The refrigerator doesn't like the hot weather, either, especially on propane. Gets up into the 50 degree range during the day, when we are traveling. Tips?

Do you have a fan installed to help keep the evaporator cool? Although I would think the air moving over it while traveling would help.

Your frig should do better the 50 degs.
Our four door Norcold in the Windsor (not in slide) held mid forties up to 110 degs outside (except when it went in to defrost mode in mid afternoon!). The one in the Camelot did a little worse before I added an assist fan at the top, but it was in a slide so the top vent was out the side and not thru the roof.

I assume you are not opening it a lot.

I would check the door seal first - dollar bill, should have some resistance to being pulled out.

Age is not really an issue. The third frig in our Windsor was still working after 8 years (but the first two lasted less than a year as did the first one in the Camelot.)

Another issue can be if the cooling unit was ever replaced. My experience has been the replacement don't cool as well. Maybe the transfer plates are not as tight.

You could always go residential like many of us have. I think you already have a 3000 watt inverter and at least 3 8D batteries, that puts you many thousands of dollars ahead of me in the conversion.

ken

Pierat said:
Yes, we have a fridge fan. Amazing how many weeks it can run on two D batteries.

Pierat:

I do not mean the cooling fan inside the refrigerator but one installed outside under or above the cooling unit that will provide better cooling air over the unit.

Here is the one I installed.

It may be hot and in some places may be breaking a record but it has been hotter in the past. If you go to weather.com and type the name and state of the place you're interested in, it will show you the temp, average and record for that day you check, and you can then look at the daily temperatures for the month and that will show you the temps, and records in what year.

Thanks, Ken, Jeff. I think I need to try that mod. Our fridge, a Dometic two-door side-by-side, is eight years old, but seems to be okay except for the temp issue. Had the thermistor replaced last fall, which helped stop the self-defrosting until our trip this summer, when it began again every couple of days. We got new seals last fall, as well. I'm hoping not to have to replace it as we've had so many fixes to the coach already. (Slide seals are still an issue, etc.)

We had mid-90s yesterday here, just south of Sioux Falls, SD, but it is to be mid-80s, at least for today, thankfully. Hope the hot goes away for you all, too.

Those who are too hot need to come to Yellowstone. It was 36 when I got up and they predict a high of 83. There's little or no humidity!!

I'm sure glad we're not home in Florida! :)

Pierat said:
Thanks, Ken, Jeff. I think I need to try that mod. Our fridge, a Dometic two-door side-by-side, is eight years old, but seems to be okay except for the temp issue. Had the thermistor replaced last fall, which helped stop the self-defrosting until our trip this summer, when it began again every couple of days. We got new seals last fall, as well. I'm hoping not to have to replace it as we've had so many fixes to the coach already. (Slide seals are still an issue, etc.)

We had mid-90s yesterday here, just south of Sioux Falls, SD, but it is to be mid-80s, at least for today, thankfully. Hope the hot goes away for you all, too.

For a test you can buy a small 110 volt white fan with a large clip from Ace (that I added to ours last summer when the temps got to 115 degrees) and just remove the outside cover and blow air over the cooling unit while you are parked. If that solves your problem the kit will probably do the trick.

Get a small clip-on fan, open the bottom outside door and set the fan to blow air up over the coils on the rear of the fridge.

The refrigerator relies on a chimney effect to carry heat away from the rear coils - the heat they're removing from inside the fridge heats the air behind the fridge, the hot air rises and exits through the roof vent, drawing in cooler air from the bottom vent.

When the temperature gets into the 90s, the convection flow breaks down because there isn't enough temperature difference between the coils and the outside air.  Setting a small fan to blow air past the coils will restore the airflow and carry the heat away.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
richielk
Back
Top Bottom