Comparative wash/wax test

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom

Administrator
I'm in the process of waxing/polishing the coach and thought this might be a good time to begin a comparison between Dri_Wash & Guard on one side of the coach and a liquid polish on the other. I have some Dri-wash, but honestly can't recall the instructions I was given for using it. Any and all help from the DWG users would be appreciated.

FWIW the coach has already been washed, so both products are starting with a "clean" coach.

TIA.

Tom,
Just spray it on lightly and rub it in gently, no hard rubbing. give it a minute and then just buff it off. That's all I do and it works great for me.

Jerry

Thanks Jerry. I'll be trying it in the morning.

Tom,

Jerry covered very well.  Biggest mistake folks make when using Driwash is they tend to use more than necessary.  Oh by the way you didn't need to wash the Driwash side first.

Thanks Ron.

Ron said:
... you didn't need to wash the Driwash side first.

I washed the entire coach and polished one side before I thought of running the comparison. Should I dirty the DWG side before proceeding, or will it still work on a clean surface?

Tom said:
Thanks Ron.

I washed the entire coach and polished one side before I thought of running the comparison. Should I dirty the DWG side before proceeding, or will it still work on a clean surface?

It will work just fine.  You just did more work than necessary. :D

I just don't know how to half do a job. In any event, I didn't want DWG starting out with a handicap  ;D

It did a great job on the front of the Winnebago and I only had to rub hard where there were a couple of resistent bugs. It also did a great job on the back of the Explorer. Now I just need to get out there and do the rest of the coach and then finish the Explorer. If Mike wants any of the VWs done, he's on his own :)

I checked the side of the bottle and found slightly different application instructions. Same story when I checked their web site, so I followed the manufacturer's instructions. Doesn't mean one is more correct than the other.

First impressions, having used TurtleWax liquid on one side of the coach and Dri-Wash on the other other side:

• Dri-wash is much easier and faster to apply using the pump provided.
  • I understand that I needn't have washed the coach before using Dri-Wash, so that would mean one less step.
  • Not much difference in the buffing effort required.
  • As Ron always warns folks, it's easy to put "too much" Dri-wash on.
  • There's no perceptible difference in the look or feel of the finish from the two products.
  • Dri-wash is significantly more expensive, but this may even out over time if it requires fewer applications.

BTW the DWG web site talks about their new "Ultra-ion" product that should be used on CY2000 and later cars, apparently because automotive manufacturers have changed the composition of their paint.

Tom said:
BTW the DWG web site talks about their new "Ultra-ion" product that should be used on CY2000 and later cars, apparently because automotive manufacturers have changed the composition of their paint.

Ron:

Now he tells me!

I also have the Ultra Ion and use it myself.  Wasn't available when Tom bought his DW though.  Got a gallon of the Ultra Ion on board.

Wish you had tried DW on one side and Protect-All on the other.  I like both products and the application effort is similar. Would be interesting to compare longevity of the protective finish.

Might be hard to do, unless both sides are equally expose to the wind and sunlight.? Most units just sit in one position and that isn't a fair test.? Also, for those of you that have interest in removeing black streaks,? The best I've found is Relieable's M157  Marine Multi Purpose Cleaner.? Little expensive but great on bugs, grease, streaks and? use on fiberglass, gelcoats, porcelein, seats and many others.? I'm out right now and can't seem to find it anywhre here in the Phoenix area.? It's about $8 a bottle I think.? Anyone familiar with it in this area , Please let me know. It's called M157 from Reliable

Gary,

That thought occurred to me as I was applying the DriWash. But, as I've reported here previously, ProtectAll is hard to come by in this area. The nearest WM is 20+ miles away and they don't stock it. The reason I'm testing this particular pair of products is that one of them is my "normal" one and I had some of the other on board. No need to chase around the state hoping to find some product that may or may not be in a store.

Shayne said:
Most units just sit in one position and that isn't a fair test.

OK Shayne, I'll ignore the test results.

Tom said:
OK Shayne, I'll ignore the test results.

I think the most important test result, and that you shouldn't ignore, is that the DriWash went on easier. Anything that's easier to use gets bonus points in my book whether the coach is pointed into the sun, wind or gloom of night.

Actually, I have sort of a test bed right now.  When I did mine a couple months ago, I used Protect-All above the belt line and Dri-wash below (on the bay doors) and across the front cap.  I didn't have a test in mind - was just following my normal practice of using Dri-wash where there is a lot of road grime, tar, etc. and Protect-all elsewhere.  I have found the more expensive DW to be a better cleaner, so use the more expensive product only where it is really needed.

One can argue mine is not a fair test either, since the lower panels get more abuse from road dirt, splashing, etc. So like you, I will ignore the results. Or more likely, simply forget to observe any... ;)

RV Roamer said:
I didn't have a test in mind

Neither did I when I started. I'd applied my usual Turtle Wax to one side of the coach, then realized I was out of it (or couldn't find the additional bottles I thought I had). I wasn't feeling up to driving 20+ miles to WM, so I figured it was time to use some of that DW I've been carrying around for the last 2 years.

[edit]Typo[/edit]

wendycoke said:
Anything that's easier to use gets bonus points in my book

Wendy, you obviously haven't seen or heard me talk about my "easy on/easy off" perspective, although it comes from years of waxing boats. Easy-on liquid polishes last maybe 3 weeks, sometimes more like 3 days, whereas a good carnuba paste wax lasts up to 6 months. Unfortunately, it takes Chris and I around 2 weeks to wax the boat with a paste wax, so it's not something I look forward to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom