Alaska with the Brewer's 06

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Jim Dick said:
Love Bugs only come out twice a year so they can be avoided. Fire ants are ineveitable but one can easily see their nests and avoid them. If you don't they sure do sting!!!

Which proves what you said...the bugs in Florida really aren't a bother. The humidity, now that's another thing altogether.

Betty,

I just looked at the stats for this thread. Something like 580 messages and 7414 views of your thread! That has to be some kind of record!!!!! I have saved all of the photos you have sent. We may never make it to Alaska but I feel I've been there!

Jim Dick said:
We may never make it to Alaska but I feel I've been there!

Right on Jim. Betty always does a great job of documenting and illustrating her trips. I think you might be right about the views on this topic, with the possible exception of Betty's Copper Canyon trip log.

Tom,

Yes, Betty does a great job. I think when Terry makes his dvd for this trip Betty should provide the commentary. The Copper Canyon dvd was great but a running narrative might be nice. :)

I agree Jim, although Betty and Terry did a decent job of narrating the trip while we viewed the Copper Canyon DVD at Moab. I  heard a rumor that the Alaska DVD viewing will be in your coach. I'm not sure ours could take 22 people again without a few creaks  ;D

Attachments

• Brewers show4.jpg
    Brewers show4.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 57
Tom,

With the Copper Canyon DVD the music was important and worked out well. I made a bunch of copies for Terry and thought I had kept one for myself. I finally erased it from my DVDR hardrive only to discover I did not have a copy. Now I'll have to get one from Terry. :)

I guess we could stuff a few into our coach. We had 11 one New Years when we only had our narrow body nonslide Bounder!

September 1, 2006    Day 101  Skagway

Sadly, we left Haines, which has been one of my favorite stops. We traveled to get fuel and then meandered down the road 6 miles to the Marine Ferry Terminal.  We got our lane assignments and waited for directions to move on. This was very organized and considerably better than the ferry loading in Mexico! The tour book says this is one of the deepest and most beautiful fjords in North America.  We had so much fog and rain you could not have seen the view so I will take the books? word!  Russ was little PO?d because he had paid extra to keep his toad attached and upon boarding, they required him to detach.  Fortunately a ferry terminal employee was able to drive his car aboard.  The one-hour ride was uneventful and even a bit boring! Terry had to back off the ferry, which was no big deal.  He radioed me when he was off and drove away on his own to find the RV Park.  I was stuck in the rear of the ship and was among the last off.  When I arrived at the RV Park, he had already checked in and parked.  I took Russ back to get his car and we celebrated with happy hour and Russ? bottle of Chateau Trimoulet or Saint-Emilion Grand Cru from France. This was purchase at a delightful little wine shop in Haines, Alaska. Tomorrow we tour Skagway.

Statistics:
Motorhome Miles Driven:  6  Motorhome ferried: 15 miles  Diesel $3.58
Wildlife sightings: eagles, seagulls
Temps:  High 53      Low  50          0.62  inches of rain
Camping Costs: $ 30  Pullen Creek RV Park  Water/elec.
GPS: 59.45049,-135.31708

Attachments

• Haines Ferry05 (Small).JPG
    Haines Ferry05 (Small).JPG
    62.4 KB · Views: 59
  • Haines Ferry07 (Small).JPG
    Haines Ferry07 (Small).JPG
    42.7 KB · Views: 56
  • Haines Ferry08 (Small).JPG
    Haines Ferry08 (Small).JPG
    48.9 KB · Views: 54
  • Haines Ferry12 (Small).JPG
    Haines Ferry12 (Small).JPG
    79.3 KB · Views: 56
  • Haines Ferry24 (Small).JPG
    Haines Ferry24 (Small).JPG
    57.9 KB · Views: 54
  • Haines Ferry26 (Small).JPG
    Haines Ferry26 (Small).JPG
    61.2 KB · Views: 58
John Canfield said:
? We finally have a break from the rain here in Haines and wish you dry roads on your way south.

Thank You John and Jane for the well wishes.
I hope your weather continues as there are so many beautiful places in Haines.  Good weather makes for good visits.  We sure had a good visit with you guys. 
Betty

Jim Dick said:
That has to be some kind of record!!!!! I have saved all of the photos you have sent. We may never make it to Alaska but I feel I've been there!

Dear Jim and everyone reading this thread,
  It was my hope to share my adventures with all of you.  If you won't ever be able to visit Alaska then I hope I have provided a birds eye view.  If you've already visited AK,  I wanted to jog your memories and reminisce, and if you will be coming I wanted to provide a guideline. It has been fun for me to sit down at the computer each night and feel you are with me.  What a large "caravan"  this thread has been. Blush , blush I had no idea the numbers would be so high, but we've been gone a long time!

Thanks for the kind words!
Betty

Betty Brewer said:
September 1, 2006    Day 101  Skagway

Sadly, we left Haines, which has been one of my favorite stops. We traveled to get fuel and then meandered down the road 6 miles to the Marine Ferry Terminal.  We got our lane assignments and waited for directions to move on. This was very organized and considerably better than the ferry loading in Mexico! The tour book says this is one of the deepest and most beautiful fjords in North America.  We had so much fog and rain you could not have seen the view so I will take the books? word!  Russ was little PO?d because he had paid extra to keep his toad attached and upon boarding, they required him to detach.  Fortunately a ferry terminal employee was able to drive his car aboard.  The one-hour ride was uneventful and even a bit boring! Terry had to back off the ferry, which was no big deal.  He radioed me when he was off and drove away on his own to find the RV Park.  I was stuck in the rear of the ship and was among the last off.  When I arrived at the RV Park, he had already checked in and parked.  I took Russ back to get his car and we celebrated with happy hour and Russ? bottle of Chateau Trimoulet or Saint-Emilion Grand Cru from France. This was purchase at a delightful little wine shop in Haines, Alaska. Tomorrow we tour Skagway.

Statistics:
Motorhome Miles Driven:  6  Motorhome ferried: 15 miles  Diesel $3.58
Wildlife sightings: eagles, seagulls
Temps:  High 53      Low  50          0.62  inches of rain
Camping Costs: $ 30  Pullen Creek RV Park  Water/elec.
GPS: 59.45049,-135.31708

Betty:

Tell Russ I'll e happy to drive his car for him in exchange for sharing the Chateau Trimoulet.

Sam & I have enjoyed the Alaska reports and photos.  Very interesting reports and we enjoyed each and every one of them.
Glad Terry was able to get the Jerry F camera for the trip.  Fantastic photos.

September 2, 2006? ? Day 102? ?Skagway? ?

(Posted a day late due to no internet connection in Skagway)
The weather cleared today after a night of really hard rain.? Terry and I took The Skagway Alaska Streetcar Tour this morning. We learned more about the colorful history of Skagway as it was founded when the gold rush hit. And we heard some really ?bad? jokes that left us laughing and laughing.? Tour guides are very clever and gave us our money?s worth!?
? We toured the town shops and I now own some Alaska gold in the form of a 14-karat gold whale tail.? In the afternoon we stopped by the Klondike Gold Rush National Historical Park? and were given a walking tour of the town by a Park Ranger.? He pointed out the three distinct gold rushes of Skagway.

1.? The stampeders who rushed through the city on their way to the Klondike in 1898. It was interesting to me to hear the gold rush stories from this end of the journey as we had heard so much about the gold rush in our travels along the Yukon River where the actual gold was discovered.? This brought the era to a full circle.
? 2. The arrival of thousands of GI?s in 1942 to build Alaskan Highway. The GI?s mostly came through and did not stay but Skagway grew by the thousands over this yearlong period, and then sat idle once more for years.
? 3.The presence of tourists since 1988 with big cruise ships bringing almost a hundred thousand passengers a summer to Skagway.? We certainly left a bit on gold in the pockets of the Skagway merchants and vendors!
He summarized we all find riches when we come to Alaska in its land and the beauty!

?
And as a topper to the day, we attended the Days of 98 Show that is a vaudeville show depicting the days of Soapy Smith. Robert Service poetry was read and dancing girls danced and banjoes hummed. We hand clapped our way into the evening and at nine o?clock were driving home on dark and empty streets.? The one cruise ship in port sailed at 7 so the town was a ghost town.? Tourist season is winding down and all the t- shirts are on sale. It is a good time to be here!

Statistics:
Motorhome Miles Driven:? 0
Wildlife sightings: 0
Temps:? High 58? ? ?Low 48? ? ? ? ?0.01 inches of rain
Camping Costs: $30 Pullen Creek RV Park Overlooks docked cruise ships Water/elec

Attachments

• Skagway13 (Small).JPG
    Skagway13 (Small).JPG
    62.9 KB · Views: 56
  • Skagway14 (Small) (2).JPG
    Skagway14 (Small) (2).JPG
    85.3 KB · Views: 56
  • Skagway12 (Small).JPG
    Skagway12 (Small).JPG
    73.8 KB · Views: 54
  • Skagway22 (Small).JPG
    Skagway22 (Small).JPG
    59.1 KB · Views: 54
  • Skagway24 (Small).JPG
    Skagway24 (Small).JPG
    63.6 KB · Views: 52
  • Skagway17 (Small).JPG
    Skagway17 (Small).JPG
    80.2 KB · Views: 54
  • Skagway25 (Small).JPG
    Skagway25 (Small).JPG
    56.7 KB · Views: 56
September 3, 2006    Day 103  A Rest Stop South of Teslin, British Columbia     

As we had only a 2-day stay in Skagway we needed to get in some early sight seeing before we left.  We left the RV Park at 8:20 and noticed 2 Big Cruise ships had come in during the night and one small one.  Russ drove us out to Dyea (Pronounced die ee), which was one of the two original towns settled so quickly during the gold rush era.  It is now only a ruin but a very interesting drive. It is a narrow, winding and gravel road for about 7 miles.  We saw bald eagles out on gravel bars along the river and hoped to see bears but none showed up.  We did see lots of moss, ferns, mushrooms, toadstools and water plants. Russ identified the colorful ones as poisonous.  Yep, this is a rain forest!  Our final stop in Skagway was to the Alaskan T-shirt shop where we made them even richer!    The guys laughed because their Alaskan weather t-shirt was on sale for only 7 dollars.  They paid much more!  The streets were bustling with cruise ship tourists so we got right out of town about noon.  I could have shopped for days so it was a good thing to get going.

It was a day of international travel.  We crossed back into Canada with only questions about whether or not we have firearms and how much booze. We are back in Pacific Time zone now as we lost an hour.  It is a curious thing that once we cross the border, the scenery changed!  We were in volcanic type rocks with trees and excellent fall color.  Beautiful lakes and rivers dotted the roadsides. We took the Teslin Cutoff and did not return to Whitehorse, so much of the road was new territory for us as we head north to go south. The trees were orange and red and yellow and we had no place to pull over for a picture. We crossed from the Yukon onto British Columbia several times today.  Then I spotted a bear along the road eating berries but with the roar of diesel engines pulling up he does not stick around long.  We had no destination in mind but we recalled a lovely spot we boon docked on the way and head for it.  However there was a nice wide pull out about 80 miles before that and the guys decided they had driven enough for today.    Russ can get his Internet signal and we are hungry for an Internet fix.  We have been two days with out it!  Russ announces on CB that we are having a colorful sunset.  The pink sky reflects on the lake beside us and pink inched below the clouds.  Yes it was pretty.  It is getting so dark now that we may have a chance at seeing Northern Lights, but first we need to have sky clear enough to see stars.  We watch weather forecasts hoping for clear weather as we head to Stewart and onto Hyder for some bear viewing.

Statistics:
Motorhome Miles Driven:  190
Wildlife sightings: 2 eagles, 2 mountain sheep, 1 bear, chipmunks, and a couple ground squirrels
Temps:  High 60    Low 48        0.01  inches of rain
Camping Costs: FREE  Rest stop outside Teslin.
GPS: 59.9548, -132.0230

Attachments

• Dyea03 (Small).JPG
    Dyea03 (Small).JPG
    83.5 KB · Views: 59
  • Dyea11 (Small).JPG
    Dyea11 (Small).JPG
    99.3 KB · Views: 61
  • Dyea16 (Small).JPG
    Dyea16 (Small).JPG
    77.9 KB · Views: 58
  • Suspension Bridge03 (Small).JPG
    Suspension Bridge03 (Small).JPG
    81.5 KB · Views: 59
  • Hyder Transit06 (Small).JPG
    Hyder Transit06 (Small).JPG
    46.2 KB · Views: 62
Betty

Great write-up again and wonderful pictures.  Glad that you got to meet John and Jane in Haines.  We also enjoyed the Skagway area very much.  We know that you will enjoy Stewart and Hyder including the Fish Creek area.  The drive up to Salmon Glacier and pass there is very beautiful.  Safe travels.

Once again, love the pics and articles you've writen.  One question please,  in pic #2, did Terry actually by that open aired view home fore you, so you could have a cool place in the summer?  It certainly seems to have a open view of each and all directions.  Just wondering.  Love it.

Jeff:"Tell Russ I'll e happy to drive his car for him in exchange for sharing the Chateau Trimoulet."

It certainly was/is good. After trying the first bottle I went back and got 2 more before boarding the ferry. The wine shop is part of the Natural foods store, AKA hippie co-op. Their soups sandwiches and expresso bar were also superb.

That store is especially popular with dog lovers. Everytime I went, big lab type pooches were waiting for their masters outside the front door.

rhmahoney said:
It certainly was/is good. After trying the first bottle I went back and got 2 more before boarding the ferry. The wine shop is part of the Natural foods store, AKA hippie co-op. Their soups sandwiches and expresso bar were also superb.

That store is especially popular with dog lovers. Everytime I went, big lab type pooches were waiting for their masters outside the front door.

Good morning Russ. Good wine, good food, and dog-friendly. Sounds like a great place to me (Sam thinks so, too).

Back
Top Bottom