Licensing Requirements for RV Drivers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AlGriefer

This is a list of the state requirements for driving or towing an RV.

Disclaimer:? This is a summary and may not be completely accurate.? Please refer to the driver's license documentation or statutes for each state.

So far we have the following states, those with an asterisk have a link to that state's official driver's license manual.? Click on the state abbreviation to go to that state's entry.

AZ*, CA*, FL, IL*, MN, NJ*, NV*, NY*, OK, OR*, PA*, SC, TX*, UT*

Summary(work in progress)
StateRV > 26,000 lbs RV > 40 ft.RV > 26,000 lbs + Trailer > 10,000 lbs? Trailer > 10,000 lbs Multiple Trailers < 10,000 lbs
CAN/ANon-Comm'l Class B? ?Unknown? ?Non-Comm'l Class AUnknown
NVNon-Comm'l Class B? ?N/ANon-Comm'l Class A? ?J Endorsement? ? R Endorsement? ?

Al

For Nevada

Nevada Non-Commercial Class A and B Or R and J Endorsement Study Guide

The vehicles in the non-commercial classification are generally vehicles that are used for
recreational purposes, or may include certain rental vehicles that meet the criteria of the below
license classifications.

Non-Commercial Vehicle Classifications

Class A May drive any combination of motor vehicle with a gross combination weight
rating (GCWR) of 26,001 pounds or more, provided the vehicle being towed has a
gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of more than 10,000 pounds; or
Any combination of vehicles not exceeding 70 feet in length with a gross
combination weight rating of 26,000 pounds or less so long as the gross
combination weight rating of the towed vehicles does not exceed the gross vehicle
weight rating of the towing vehicle; and

Class B May drive any single vehicle with a GVWR of 26,001 pounds or more, or any such
vehicle towing a vehicle weighing less than 10,000 pounds GVWR.

Class C May drive any single vehicle or combination of vehicle that does not meet the
definition of Class A or Class B. May include a moped or a tri-mobile.

Non-Commercial Vehicle Endorsements

R? ?May tow a combination of vehicles that weight less than 10,000 pounds.

J? ? May tow a vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating of more than 10,000 pounds.

Al

For California

Recreational Vehicle and Trailers Handbook

You have a?
Non-commercial Class A License

you may drive??
all vehicles under Class C

and you may tow??
? any vehicle under Class C.
? a travel trailer weighing over 10,000 lbs. GVWR, not used for hire.
? a fifth-wheel travel trailer weighing over 15,000 lbs. GVWR, not used for hire.

Non-commercial Class B License

you may drive?
all vehicles under Class C
? all vehicles under Class C
? a housecar over 40 feet, but not over 45 feet, with endorsement

and you may tow??
? all vehicles under Class C.

For Oregon

Oregon Driver Manual

Class C License

A Class C driver license allows a person who is at least 18 years old to drive:

? A car or any single vehicle (mopeds, passenger cars, vans, pickups,
and panels) with a loaded weight of not more than 26,000 pounds or
a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of not more than 26,000
pounds that is exempt from CDL or motorcycle requirements.

? A recreational vehicle?including motor homes, campers, and travel
trailers?for personal use.

Al

For Texas

Texas Driver's Handbook

CLASSIFIED DRIVER LICENSE (Texas Transportation Code, Section 521)

The following listed Class A, B, C, and M licenses will be issued to persons
who are exempt from obtaining a Commercial Driver License or persons who
are not required to obtain a Commercial Driver License:

1. Class A driver license permits a person to drive any vehicle or combination
of vehicles with a gross combination weight rating of 26,001 pounds or
more, provided the gross vehicle weight rating of the vehicle(s) being towed
is in excess of 10,000 pounds; including a vehicle included in Class B or
Class C, except a motorcycle or moped.

2. Class B driver license permits a person to drive the following vehicles,
except a motorcycle or moped:

a. a single unit vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating of 26,001
pounds or more, and any such vehicle towing either a vehicle with a
gross vehicle weight rating that does not exceed 10,000 pounds, or a
farm trailer with a gross vehicle weight rating that does not exceed
20,000 pounds;

b. a bus with a seating capacity of 24 passengers or more, including the
driver; and

c. a vehicle included in Class C.

3. Class C driver license permits a person to drive the following vehicles,
except a motorcycle or moped:

a. a single unit vehicle, or combination of vehicles, that is not a Class A
or B; and

b. a single unit vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating of less than
26,001 pounds, towing a trailer not to exceed 10,000 pounds gross vehicle
weight rating or a farm trailer with a gross vehicle weight rating that
does not exceed 20,000 pounds.

This is a great topic Al, thanks. Let's hope others will join in with some additional offerings. I'll compile them into a file for the library.

I just looked up the laws in my state of Oklahoma and they state:

Section 1-152.1 - Recreational Vehicle.

For the sole purpose of the classification of vehicles as provided in Sections 1-107.1 through 1-107.4 of this title, a recreational vehicle shall be deemed to be a Class D motor vehicle, provided such vehicle is a self-propelled or towed vehicle that is equipped to serve as temporary living quarters for recreational, camping or travel purposes and is used solely as a family or personal conveyance.

Section 1-107.4 - Class D Motor Vehicle

1. Regardless of weight:

a. is marked and used as an authorized emergency vehicle, as defined in Section 1-103 of this title, or

b. is designed and used solely as a recreational vehicle;

I bold ed above to point out in our state that the weight does not matter if its an RV as defined as above.? I only need a Class D licence.  Class D in our state is the standard licence.

Driver License Classes? SC  http://www.scstatehouse.net/code/t56c001.htm

Regular (non-commercial) driver's licenses are issued in the following classes depending on the type and intended use of the vehicle.

Class D
Passenger vehicles and all non-commercial vehicles that do not exceed 26,000 pounds gross vehicle weight

Class E
Non-commercial single unit vehicles that exceed 26,000 pounds gross vehicle weight

Class F
Non-commercial combination vehicles that exceed 26,000 pounds gross vehicle weight

Class G
Moped

Class M
Motorcycles?

An inquiry to SCMVD produced this response

In order to operate a motor home, the driver would require a classified
license class E with a valid DOT Medical Card. This license will allow the
operation of single unit vehicles with a gross vehicle weight of 26,000
pounds.
If you wish to tow a vehicle behind the motor home, a class F license will
be needed with the valid DOT Medical Card. The class F license allows the
operation of combination vehicles with a gross vehicle weight in excess of
26,000 pounds.
The knowledge portion of the tests for the classified license is based on
the non-commercial driver manual and would include the following three
sections: trucks, general information and traffic signs, signals and
markings. The skills test may be taken at one of our thirty-six commercial
driver's license sites. Attached is a list of these offices.

A commercial driver's license is not required for a recreational vehicle;
however, if the driver currently has a class A or class B license, either
license may be used when operating the motor home.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I would add that no one I know has gone for a E or F Class license including the State Representative in my home town (I talked to him and he is a towing RV operator). I contacted two SCMVD offices and each were unfamilar with the law and both made the same mistake of saying a vehicle over 26,000 would require a CDL Commercial License class A/B. An attempt was made two years ago to amend the law 56-1-130 to clarify class E/F for recreational vehicles? but it never made it through to final code acceptance. A state official advised it was better to let it lay i.e keep driving on Class D non-commercial.

Pennsylvania

The requirements for PA are essentially the same as Nevada, (listed above in this thread) with the additional requirement that if your RV has air brakes, you MUST HAVE an air brake endorsement on your license. PA is now enforcing the A and B non commercial weight requirement endorsements for larger motorhomes and the 5th wheel trailers. Also if you have motorcycle, you must have the M endorsement.

Chet18013

Arizona

Arizona Driver License Manual and Customer Service Guide

Definitions of licenses are on pages 13 and 14.

Class D is general operator license and covers anything not requiring commercial or motorcycly license.

Commercial license covers vehicles of 26,001 lbs or more among other types.

To determine if a CDL is required, the manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of the vehicles must be determined.

Class A CDL ? Required to operate a combination vehicle (truck and trailer) if the GVWR of the trailer is 10,001 pounds or more, and when added to the GVWR of the power unit (truck), the gross combined weight rating (GCWR) is over 26,001 pounds.

Class B CDL ? Required to operate any vehicle with a GVWR of 26,001 pound or more. A trailer may be towed if the GVWR of the trailer is 10,000 pounds or less.

Class C CDL ? Required to operate any vehicle with a GVWR of 26,000 pounds or less, if the vehicle is required to be placarded to transport Hazardous Materials or transports 16 or more passengers, including the driver

Al

New York

Driver's Manual and Practice Quiz

Operator, Class D - Minimum age is 18, or age 17 with driver education (see Driver Education). Allows you to drive a vehicle with a manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of 26,000 lbs. (11,794 kg) or less. A Class D driver can drive a vehicle that tows another vehicle (for example a trailer) that has a maximum gross weight of 10,000 lbs. (4,536 kg) or less. A Class D driver can tow a vehicle with a GVWR of more than 10,000 lbs. (4,536 kg) only if the combined weight rating of the two vehicles is 26,000 lbs. (11,794 kg) or less. You may also operate Class B and C mopeds with this license.

Recreational Vehicle or "R" endorsement - Recreational vehicles, with or without air brakes, are not defined as commercial vehicles. You may apply for an "R" endorsement for your Class D or Class E driver license to allow you to operate a recreational vehicle (RV) with a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating of over 26,001 lbs. (11,794 kg) or more.

To obtain an "R" endorsement, you must: submit a completed Application for Driver License or ID Card (MV-44), indicating a license amendment, to any state or county motor vehicle office; pay a permit fee, which is valid for up to two road tests; and pass a road test in the size and type of vehicle you will be driving. No written test is required. To take the road test, you must be accompanied by a licensed driver at least 21 years old who has a license valid for the type of vehicle you will be driving during the test (e.g., a driver license with an "R" endorsement or the appropriate Commercial Driver License). The road test will be about 15 minutes in length and will include turns, intersections and backing the vehicle to the curb. Upon passing the road test, you must go to a motor vehicle office and pay the required fee to complete the license amendment process.

Al

Pennsylvania

Updated 05/26/05, thanks to Chet18013, who aimed me in the right direction!

Pennsylvania's Driver's Manual

Class of Non-Commercial Licenses

CLASS A (minimum age 18): Required to operate any combination of vehicles with a gross weight rating
of 26,001 pounds or more, where the vehicle(s) being towed is/are in excess of 10,000 pounds.

Example: Recreational vehicle when the towing vehicle is rated at 11,000 pounds and the vehicle towed is rated at
15,500 pounds (total combination weight of 26,500 pounds).

CLASS B (minimum age 18): Required to operate any single vehicle rated in excess of 26,000 pounds.

Example: Motor homes rated at 26,001 pounds or more.

CLASS C (minimum age 16): A Class C driver?s license will be issued to persons 16 years of age or older
who have demonstrated their qualifications to operate any vehicles, except those requiring a Class M qualification,
and who do not meet the definitions of Class A or Class B. Any firefighter or member of a rescue or
emergency squad who is the holder of a Class C driver?s license and who has a certificate of authorization
from a fire chief or head of the rescue or emergency squad will be authorized to operate any fire or emergency
vehicle registered to that fire department, rescue or emergency squad or municipality (emergency use only).
The holder of a Class C driver?s license is also authorized to drive a motorized pedalcycle (a motor-driven
cycle) or a three-wheeled motorcycle equipped with an enclosed cab, but not a motorcycle.

CLASS M (minimum age 16): A Class M driver?s license will be issued to those persons 16 years of age
or older who have demonstrated their ability to operate a motorcycle or motor-driven cycle. If a person is
qualified to operate only a motorcycle or motor-driven cycle, he/she will be issued a Class M license.
Please refer to the Pennsylvania Motorcycle Operator?s Manual (Pub. 147). If your motorcycle is less than
50 CCs, a ?V? restriction will appear on your license. This restriction prohibits you from operating a motorcycle
50 CCs or larger.

Al

Pennsylvania

Al,

Your post might lead a PA resident to think they need do nothing. This is not the case. (note: my previous post says "non-commerical")

It is true that you do not require a CDL in PA to operate an RV with a GVW greater than 26000 pounds, HOWEVER YOU MUST HAVE the non-commercial endorsement for the A or B weight class and air brakes, --if the vehicle is so equipped, regardless weather it is a commercial or non-commercial vehicle. These endorsements do require that you take the same tests as the CDL, except the physical.

I live in PA and have a large motorhome with air brakes. I had to make several calls to PADMV central office to get these points clarified.

Chet18013

]Florida

Commercial Driver Licenses

Class A: Commercial motor vehicles - trucks or truck combinations weighing with a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating of 26,001 lbs. or more, provided towed vehicle is more than 10,000 lbs.

Class B: Commercial motor vehicles - straight trucks weighing 26,001 lbs. Gross Vehicle Weight Rating or more.

Class C: Vehicles transporting placardable amounts of hazardous materials, or vehicles designed to transport more than 15 persons including the driver with a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating of less than 26,001 lbs.

Non-Commercial Driver Licenses

Class E: Any non-commercial motor vehicles with Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) less than 26,001 pounds, including passenger cars, 15 passenger vans including the driver, trucks or recreational vehicles and two or three wheel motor vehicles 50 cc or less, such as mopeds or small scooters. (see below). Farmers and drivers of authorized emergency vehicles who are exempt from obtaining a commercial driver license must obtain a Class E license.

CDL Exemptions

The following persons are exempt from the requirements to obtain a commercial driver license:

Drivers of authorized emergency vehicles that are equipped with extraordinary audible warning devices that display red or blue lights and are on call to respond to emergencies;or
Military personnel driving military vehicles; or
Farmers transporting farm supplies or farm machinery, or transporting agricultural products to or from the first place of storage or processing or directly to or from market, within 150 miles of their farm; or
Drivers of recreational vehicles used for recreational purposes; or
Drivers who operate straight trucks (single units) that are exclusively transporting their own tangible personal property which is not for sale.
An employee of a publicly owned transit system who is limited to moving vehicles for maintenance or parking purposes exclusively within the restricted-access confines of a transit system's property.

Chet18013 said:
Pennsylvania

Al,

Your post might lead a PA resident to think they need do nothing. This is not the case. (note: my previous post says "non-commerical")

It is true that you do not require a CDL in PA to operate an RV with a GVW greater than 26000 pounds, HOWEVER YOU MUST HAVE the non-commercial endorsement for the A or B weight class and air brakes, --if the vehicle is so equipped, regardless weather it is a commercial or non-commercial vehicle. These endorsements do require that you take the same tests as the CDL, except the physical.

I live in PA and have a large motorhome with air brakes. I had to make several calls to PADMV central office to get these points clarified.

Chet18013

Hi Chet18013,

Thanks for the info that is exactly why I flagged the fact that we have two differing inputs for PA!?

Have you taken the tests for the Class A or B, yet?? What do they include?? Can you point me to anything on the web that I can link to?

This whole issue is extremely confusing in many states and it seems that not even the state troopers or highway patrol knows the answer, especially since it's all based on the state that issued your license, not the state the RV is registered in or operated in.

Al

Chet18013 said:
Pennsylvania

Al,

Chet18013

Thanks again!  I reread everything and found the correct reference.  It's all updated now!!

Al

Minnesota - From the Department of Public Safety web site (driver's manual and related statutes merged):

Class D License
This is the most common license for Minnesota drivers. If you have
a Class D driver's license, you may operate:
? All single-unit vehicles (cars and pickup trucks)...
? Recreational equipment (motor homes and camping trailers) as
defined in Minnesota Statute 168.011, subdivision 25, operated
for your personal use.
...also note the weight restriction in 171.02 Subd. 2 p. C, subp. 4
(4) operating all single-unit vehicles except vehicles with
a gross vehicle weight of more than 26,000 pounds, vehicles
designed to carry more than 15 passengers including the driver,
and vehicles that carry hazardous materials;

Minnesota Statute 168.011, subdivision 25
Subd. 25.? ? Recreational vehicle.? (a) "Recreational
vehicle" means travel trailers including those that telescope or
fold down, chassis-mounted campers, motor homes, tent trailers,
and converted buses that provide temporary human living quarters.

Back
Top Bottom