How to mount TV in 2012 Jayco JayFlight

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

road tripper

Just purchased a 2012 Jayco Jayflight Swift 26. There are two walls that have the "mount TV here" sticker on them. Problem I'm having is that these walls are only about an inch or so thick. All of the flat panel mounts I've looked at or looked for online have screws that are 2 to 3 inches long. These are obviously meant for 2 x 4 wall construction. Is there any advice on replacing the screws with some other length that will not eventually just rip out of the wall? I was thinking about using screws that have connectors that screw in to the front part of the screw from the back. I have seen them at Lowes, but my wife isn't keen on drilling all the way through the wall. Looking to put up a smaller TV, nothing like a big 32 incher.

I can only assume that nobody has a flat panel TV mounted in their trailer? I can't imagine that the thin walls are specific to Jayco's.

My best suggestion would be to get the mount that you will use and have your dealer install it.

There should be spots in those walls specially reinforced for the TV. The dealer should know where and the best way to do it.

Did you look in your manual for directions or call the factory? Customer service may be ablt to tell you what fasteners to use and exactly where to put them.

Steve

Since this a likely a new unit, why not ask Jayco, they built the thing and put the stickers on those locations!!!

Just as I figured Jayco will not tell you how to mount a TV. They don't want the liability issues. The dealer has standard TV mounts like Target and Walmart sell. so the screws are all 3 inches long. After quite a bit of research and some time on other forums I have an answer, although it is a poor answer. Jayco says the wall has a 1/2inch thick piece of plywood where the sticker is for TV mounting. While this is acceptable for cabinetry, 1 inch bolts with no nuts backing them are way too small too hold the weight of any TV over time. Without going all the way through to the other side of the wall, which will look horrible, there are few options other than taking a chance in this location. There is a reason TV mounting brackets come with three inch bolts.
There are a few mount systems out there that look possible, but all seem to showcase their mounts on the sides of cabinets or 2 x 4 walls. Using the side of a cabinet is easy, as nobody will see the nuts holding the mount on. Not one company that designs "RV mounts" advertises how they would mount them on a wall in a unit that has nothing behind it. Leads me to believe that this location simply looks good to a potential buyer and they may find out the hard way that TV mounts need quite a bit of support. The brackets that allow the TV to be easily removed and even popped onto a second bracket in the trailer are great, but still don't solve the initial problem. Guess I'll have to just place it on the table or "jerry rig" something to work.

Jayco has surely installed TV's in some of their models as an option. Try visiting a couple of dealers and do some "shopping"!!

I agree that without large fender washers, nuts and bolts it would be a risky proposition in that kind of wall.

I have 2013 26BH. I used shorter screws to mount an articulated mount (24"tv). With the amount of flex in that mount, I always take the tv down to tow the trailer. The mount has a quick release latch, and a few wires, and I stow it in the middle of the queen-size bed. Of course if you have a bigger, heavy tv, you might want to do something different

John

Just a thought here.  What if you mounted a 3/4" piece of plywood the same size as your tv  (2'x2' or so) onto the wall?  Stain it or paint it whatever.  Then mount the TV to the plywood.  The plywood would give rigidity and strength to the wall as well as displace the weight of the TV.

Marsha~

I installed a heavy articulating TV mount for my 24 inch TV.  The TV is super light, but the mount is very heavy and came with the huge long screws.

I am sorry my measurements are vague at this point, but at the time I was measuring and scheming until I figured it out. Now those exact sizes are forgotten. If you have trouble following my diagram description, let me know.

My little  old rig (1994 Class C) simply has a  small  folding table in the wall to hold a TV and warned you to NOT keep the TV there while driving... duh...  I did put my new 24" TV on it to watch, but I wanted the TV permanently mounted so I could drive without having to stow the TV every time.

Anyhow I was able to remove the built-in folding table to look inside the wall. There was a stud to the right of the table that wasn't nearly thick enough to hold the screws, but the wall had room  enough.  For instance the wall was 3-4 inches thick, but the stud was only about an inch or so  thick, it didn't reach between the bedroom panel to the bathroom panel. Very strange. I guess it just supported the bedroom side of the wall.

In my case this was the wall between the bathroom and bedroom. I used a section of 2x4 (that happened to be a perfect fit) I found in a scrap heap out of sheer luck.  It looked like it had been cut to perfectly do the job.

I did measure to see how the TV would fit on this stud, since the mount was a heavy duty articulating type, the TV can be adjusted multiple ways for viewing.  So this convenient stud to the right of the folding table was going to work size wise for the 24" TV.  I was thrilled to discover how all this was falling into place.

Anyhow I jammed the new chunk of wood between the bathroom wall and the small (floor to ceiling) stud.    This now gave me a huge chunk of wood to put all the big heavy long screws  to hold the mount. I guess you could say I was using the spare hunk of  wood as a backing plate.

Before I mounted the TV, I did play with the articulating mount a good bit, jumping up and down, trying to wiggle it and so on. It seemed very firm refusing to budge. I replaced the folding table back in the wall to fill in the big hole to the left of the TV even though I don't need the table, I surely didn't want the empty hole either.

Seems you could cut a nice neat rectangular hole in the wall to do the same, (Look and see what's in that wall and insert your own lumber etc.) then put up trim pieces of molding and screw the wall piece back in, much like a shower access plate.

I mounted the TV which is very light once the heavy glass base table top base it came with was removed. I've been using it 7 months now. It's gone bouncing the highway and some rough roads with me now and over the mountains. When I get ready to travel, I put the articulating mount and TV back flat against the wall and tighten the knobs.  For good measure, there is a long heavy ribbon tied to the mount. I tie the ribbon up like a bow around the TV top to bottom (vertically)  to make sure the TV can't move around even if the knobs vibrated loose (they never have).

I didn't want to use a bungee cord around the TV as I worried it might distort the LED  screen resolution.  The big wide ribbon happened to be laying around as this was at Christmas (it came wrapped around a gift) and it seemed like the perfect size for the job.

Every time I park to set up camp, there's my Christmas TV with a big bow tied around it, ready to unwrap again.

I must admit the articulating mount is WONDERFUL. I sometimes pile up the pillows to convert the bed to a couch or lounger, then watch TV. I can angle it perfectly for that.  Then I can also adjust the TV for perfect viewing for laying down as well. I can bring it out from the wall to twist it at an angle.

Just got off the phone with Jayco, according to them the "Mount tv sticker here" is at the center of a 16" by 16"by 2 5/8" thick plywood backer plate. I have a 2013 White Hawk 28DSBH and I'm going to mount my tv tonight. Hopefully they are right!

Update, just got a print of the wall from Jayco, it's actually 13 1/4" by 14 1/2" and centered on the wall horizontally and just below the power outlet vertically. I would strongly suggest getting a print for your specific camper because I got three different answers from Jayco before getting the print and confirming it with a stud finder.

Thanks for following up with what you found, Mptango - that's going to be handy for me later on when I finally find my dream TT (a late-model Arctic Fox 29V for under $20K - sigh).  I have been wondering how I might mount a flat-screen in it.

We mounted an articulating arm for our LCD TV in my Prowler on a small wall/divider, and I was able to use the long screws, there was a 2x2 in the wall.

We got an arm that slides off the bracket mounted to the wall. So when we travel, we take the TV off the mount, lay it on the bed, and don't worry about it bouncing down the road.

Where did you get the mount for the TV. We have been looking for one that we could remove the TV as you said. Thanks

Hi for those of you who want to mount a flat screen tv in a jayco flight t.t I did it my jayco is the 2012 jayflight
swift 26db there was a 19 inch with only 2 bolts holding it to the wall so I checked the wall and found out that the
wall has a sheet of plywood its more than 12 wide x 12 and the wall is just over 1 inch so I screwed the new bracket on with
1 inch screws x 8 my new tv is a rca 28 inch led tv and the funny thing is the old tv and the new one is the same
weight pretty much it just fitted in that spot plus I mounted it 5 inch higher it looks and works much
nicer and I do not take it down when traveling these newer campers don't bounce as bad as the old ones did so I hope this infor is some help to you

Thank you for posting that. It will be a help to those wanting to upgrade. May I make a suggestion on your posts-use punctuation please. Punctuation helps some of us better understand what you are posting.  And welcome to the site. There's lots of good folks here and we're always looking for more. I hope we can provide help for you if needed. We like lots of pics too.

The Jayfeather we are looking at mounts the TV behind a cabinet door.  The centre panel is removed and the Flat screen mounts on the back of the door with two plastic clamps.  I think they also added a extra hinge to the door .  Seem to me to be a pretty slick idea as you can still use the cabinet, the door looks normal from the outside except it has a TV in the middle.

My Coleman had the same sticker, I went to Lowes and bought a nice 1/4 sheet  of 3/8"smooth plywood, I stained it and mounted this (the dealer advised this, this on the wall using liquid nails and screws then attached the bracket to the plywood. The dealer rep that showed us the unit, advised doing this and it made sense to me, so far it has held up really well.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom