Lazy Jacks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ray D

It's me, again!

My jacks are lazy, at least the rear ones, and the right rear more than the left. It's a 2005 Damon Challenge, 36'.

Sometimes, my jacks retract juat fine. More oftern than not, the right rear or both rear jacks will fail to fully retract. Attempting to retract a second time will usually get the left rear the rest of the way up. The right rear can be a bit of a hassle, for the last half of the retraction.

The only solution, so far, is to re-extend and then retract, again. Eventually, it makes it up - -  so far. I dread the day I can't get it up, at all.

No manual!

Looked at the chassis manual, to no avail. Jacks aren't mentioned. Looked at the Owner's manual. Little mention, there. There is a paragraph that tells what the levelers are for.

In the back of the owner's manual, there is a Troubleshooting Guide. Among appropriate actions for this problem; The jack has no ice or mud, not even dusty; the rod does not appear to be bent, nor scored; there is no pinched hydrolic line; and the fluid level is correct, as measured when the jack eventually comes up.

Not mentioned, we can get it to move by prying at it, from the bottom; or last time, my wife, Jasper's Mom, got under there and kicked it, and whacked it on the bottom with her cane. It went up!

Don't think I want to get her riled, like that, everytime I want the jacks retracted. Gotta be a better way.

Is it time to call in the professionals?  What have I missed, except for the manual?

Ray D.

Extend them, crawl under with WD40 and a rag and wipe them down very well using a lot of WD40..

This cured a problem I had and now just keep some WD40 on them and they retract very quick.

Bob

Bob: thanks! I'd been thinking there has to be a better way! That's an easy fix, sounds good, and I'll give it a go. Sure sounds better than beating up on them!

Ray D.

We had the same problem as Bob  and WD 40 worked for us too. Now I do it about twice a year just to be sure.

You didn't say what brand of jacks you have. If they are Power Gear, look at the top of the jack and there should be a zerk fitting. give a couple of shots of grease and all will be good for about 6 months. The fittings are only on the rear jacks per Power Gear so I just use a squirt of silicone spray on the front ones.  If thewy are HWH I would look for a bad check valve or weak springs.

Jerry

On my Damon Intruder (with Power Gear Jacks) I had the same problem,  Also with the rear jacks, The zerk is at the bottom of the top portion (not the top of the jack)  Power gear says to spray the silver extensions with silicon by the way.  Most folks think you should avoid silicon lubes around brake fluid (i agree) I can look up link to the manuals if you like... By the way  A shot of lub in the zerk worked well for me

I polished the jacks with WD 40, and they have worked well, since. I thank you.

If they shrivel up and fall off, I'll be back.

Ray D

If you used WD-40 you should re-lube them soon with the manafacturer's recommended lubricant

WD 40 is great in the short term, but it's not long lasting

Ray D said:
I polished the jacks with WD 40, and they have worked well, since. I thank you.

Ray D

Ray,

I have attached a copy of HWH's "Leveling Jack Retraction" Service Tip. It clearly advises against using WD-40 on their jacks if they are retracting slowly. Interesting service tip.

Richard

Attachments

• Leveling Jack Retraction.tif
    62.1 KB · Views: 23
  • Leveling Jack Retraction.jpg
    Leveling Jack Retraction.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 21
We know of three friends who have had their HWH jacks replaced by HWH for slow (or no)retraction.

One has the new HWH retraction tool (5' 2"X4") for emergencies. ::)

I keep a 2x4 with a chisel/bevelled end for that purpose  ;D  I was shown this trick by a friendly fifthwheeler who saw one of my jacks stuck down and said "I used to have that problem with my motorhome".

I have assorted useful tools, including but not limited to hydralic jacks, 2x8 and other stuff.  However since reading a hint in this forum about shooting some lubricatant into the zerc (Whit lithium if I've not mangaled it too much) and reading the owner's manual re some other points,,, I have not used them much... Well, I have used them, but for other things

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom