TT Recommendations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

texrv

First, our tow vehicle is a 2004 Ford Expedition with the Trailer Tow Package.

I am looking for recommendations for a TT in the 24-25 ft. range with the fiberglass exterior.  It should sleep 4-6 since the wife and I have two children (10,7) and may take along a friend.

The price range I am interested in is up to 16-17K.

I have looked at the KZ Spree, the 240OBH and the 240 RBS (has a slide-out sofa).  These are new line to KZ and any input on this model is appreciated.

Thank you for your recommendations!

Before you do any serious shopping you need to obain the weight ratings for your Expedition. The numbers are unique to the engine size and rear axle ratio, and possibly some other options, so get the numbers for your specific configuration.  The upper limit listed in the  2004 Ford Towing Guide is 8950 lbs (8650 for 4x4), but yours could be as low as 6000 lbs.  Expedition Towing

You will want a trailer that is somewhat under the max tow capacity rating, to allow for passengers and gear carried in the Expedition as well as a margin for safety and adequate performance. Assume that the trailer will be loaded to or near the trailer's own GVWR, since that is the most typical condition. Many newcomers make the mistake of assuming the trailer's unladen weight (UVW) will be what they tow, but that is never the case. Also assume that the hitch weight will be about 15% of the total trailer weight, not the weight listed in the railer brocure. The brochure hitch (tongue) weight is for an empty trailer only.

Whut Gary said.  ;D

I would only add, use the trailers gross vehicle weight rating.  The so-called dry weight, which is a calculated weight anyway, may have stuff like awnings, extra batteries, etc.. missing  The GVWR is the heaviest a trailer should ever be loaded and so is a safer number to judge its effect on your truck.  The GVWR can be found on the DOT plate on the outside of the trailer, usually toward the front on the driver side.

That said, if your Expedition has the 8650# tow ratings you should be able to find a lot in the 24-25 foot range.  Maybe not everything, but a lot.  BTW make sure of that rating.  6000# is a big reduction in capacity.

Gary and Carl,

Thank you so much.

I bought my 2004 Expedition (Eddie Bauer) used with 21K on it. No window sticker included.

I have called the dealer and FORD directly and provided the VIN#.  I was surprised to find out that neither of them can tell me it my rig has the optional "Heavy Duty Trailer Tow Package"

It does have the hitch installed (which may be standard) with 2 seperate plugs for different pins for lights.

Is there any way to determine if my rig has the optional Heaby Duty Trailer Tow Package on it??  Something (code) on the door jam sticker?

HELP.  ???

I have called the dealer and FORD directly and provided the VIN#.  I was surprised to find out that neither of them can tell me it my rig has the optional "Heavy Duty Trailer Tow Package"

I'm shocked because they certainly do have that information in their factory build records. They know practically every nut and bolt that went onto the vehicle!  Sounds to me like they don't include that data in the easily accessible computer records that Customer Service usews and didn't want to dig deeper for it. The VIN itself does not include that info, but Ford has it.  You might try just asking them for the GCWR for your vehicle - tell them plain that yo plan to tow a large trailer and need the information to do so SAFELY. Make it clear that you are relying on Ford for information related to the SAFE OPERATION OF THE VEHICLE. That should get some attention.  They should at least be able to tell you how to idnetify the tow package.

Since you have two light plugs, chances are good that you have it.

I agree that with 2 plugs, you probably have the heavy duty package....we just got a new Expedition with the Heavy duty tow and the dual plugs are there -
unllke our former Explorers which had the 'standard' tow hitch (Class 3).  THe heavy duty option also has a Class IV hitch.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom