Leaking Slideout Roof

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

napatoy

So over the past weekend, with high winds and rain, I noticed a leak in one of my front slideouts.  I checked to see if it was coming in through the slideout locking mechanism, but it wasn't.  The gasket seems fine, I'm thinking it could be the sheet metal screws along the top edge... 

I'm seeking advice before I remove the slideout cover and tear into it.

The slideout itself typically has a rubber membrane or a sheet fiberglass roof. Leaks at the upper edges, especially corners, are not uncommon after several years of use and travel. Most often its on an end where it is accessible from a ladder, but sometimes you have to take the topper off to get at the middle section.  Usually a daub of caulk is all that is needed.  Good luck!

If you were anywhere in the path of all the storms this past week, you may find you have leaks where you never had them before because of the driving wind. We had a couple we could not even begin to explain. And then we had the wind unroll the slide topper.  :'(

We did have a slideout on the old coach that leaked at the topper and it was at a seam halfway down that need caulk, and also a plate that a screw had backed out of, but as Gary says, they can be a pain to get to.

We also had a slide that would run water off the topper, then down the front corner, but if we were anywhere off level, the water would not drop off but return back to the wall and come in at that bottom corner.

I think leaks are worse in motorhomes than house roofs if for no other reason than the many edges and corners that water has to run from.

I wouldn't react to one instance of water intrusion.  Even with good seals, the right scenario of high wind, heavy rain and from a particular direction might force water in past the seals.

Our driver's side salon slide needed new seals a couple of years ago so we had factory service replace them.

Back
Top Bottom