Workhorse Turn Signal "Adventure"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dave_denn

Hi everyone,

I just want to share an event with all in the hopes that you may not have to suffer what I have been going through for the past two weeks.

Two weeks ago I noticed when I started our 2007 Winnebago Sightseer (Chevy Workhorse chassis) that the turn signals did not work.  After checking and replacing the fuse under the dash and then the flasher hanging down near the fuse block, they still did not work.  I finally decided to drive the critter anyway and we went camping (can't disappoint young grand kids!) anyway.  I noticed that about 40 miles into the trip after hitting a bump on the highway, the turn signals began to work again!  I figured that the problem was solved.  Wrong!!!  We stopped for lunch and then the turn signals did not work.  I began to suspect a loose connection somewhere in the wiring and continued with the trip. 

When I started the RV to leave our camping spot, I noticed that the turn signals again worked.  Since I had not moved it since parking it, I was mystified.  I drove home and began to check out the wiring as best as possible given the shrouding and wire ties on the wiring harness leading from the multifunction switch.  Giving up, I decided to take it to a local RV repair shop recommended by several neighbors who have similar vehicles.  After two days, the shop mechanics diagnosed the problem as a defective turn signal switch and quoted me $479 dollars plus labor to install a new one.  Being somewhat mechanical, I decided to do the job my self.  I found a dealer in Alabama who had the part and would ship it to me for $183!  I jumped at the deal. 

When the new switch arrived, I spent almost two hours disassembling the steering column (you need a wheel puller for this) and replaced the switch.  When I started the RV, the turn signals worked perfectly.  I was relieved and figured I had saved myself several hundred dollars by doing the job myself.  Wrong again!!  I took the RV to get the propane tank filled and upon starting it found the blasted turn signals didn't work again.  After a few choice (expletives deleted) words I drove the blasted thing back home and parked it.  After wishing it to be victimized by numerous demons from Hell, I called the shop I had gotten the bum info from about the turn signal and explained the whole thing.  The owner was understanding and asked me to return it to the shop for a "free" repair. 

I took the RV to the shop and after several days, the owner called to tell me that they had finally fixed the problem.  Apparently. there are TWO flashers on that Workhorse chassis and I had changed out a perfectly good one not realizing that there were two.  So, friends, after a long and tiring (as well as expensive) "adventure" into the world of mechanics, I now know to find out as much as possible about your RV before spending several hundred dollars fixing an $18 part!  In my own defense, I must say that although I did not know about the other flasher, neither did the guys at the shop who spent hours tracking wires looking for a short...

Dave

If you had paid the shop the $479+ labor to fix it, they would have installed the new switch, discovered the flasher replaced it and you'd be out a whole lot more money than you are now. You came out ahead!

Bill

We had a situation a few years ago where our 4-way flashers would work but the left turn signal intermittently would not work.  The switch on the air lines in front of the brake pedal was replaced and we later discovered that did not fix the problem.  Back to Freightliner (third attempt to fix the problem) and they discovered the multifunction switch/stalk on the steering wheel was bad.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MoeHoward
Back
Top Bottom