What is your "most amazing" duct tape (ducktape) useage?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carson

Hi you'all,
  I'll bet there are many good stories out there about subject matter and what magic it has performed for you. What jams did it get you out of? How did it save you big money by using it? etc...

I have a story to tell and will do so in another entry, after reading some of yours.

Have fun  :D  ???  :'(    which one?

Carson, FL

Carson,

I'll also save my story for another time. Just wanted to post a heads up for folks who might not have experienced the sticky mess that Duck/Duct Tape can leave behind if left for too long before removing.

carson said:
What jams did it get you out of? How did it save you big money by using it?

Have used Duct Tap (and baling wire) for more years than I can count anymore - but recently, a use did not get me out of a jam, and I lost money by using it. So does a reverse affect story count?

Was going to post another thread about a "Rat Attack" I recently endured -- so this story is only a small part of that whole nightmare. In my many hours of reserch and especially discussions with professional exterminators, one suggestion was to plug a hole with steel wool where you knew an entry was occurring -- then finish by covering the hole with duct tape.

One such entry point (unfortunately directly into my rig) was via the engine cover. There was a slight bent opening from the last time they did a smog check on my rig. Another was around the space remaining after my sewer, water, and electric came up through bottom of the service compartment. Once there, the foot long black critters found access to the insulation around the housing that held my furnace (amoung other items). They enjoyed that insulation very much and completely destroyed it.

So, based on the advice I found on another forum, I inserted steel wool into the hole by the engine block, then covered it with multiple layers of duct tape. The next AM, I found what was left of the duct tape in small pieces around the hole -- and the clump of steel wool I found all the way over by the bulkhead on the opposite side of the rig.

The next night I found a piece of 2x4 about a foot long -- and Duct Taped it to the outside of the hole after inserting the steel wool again. After that, I placed a 4 foot piece of 4x6 beam material from a construction site next door lengthwise against the 2x4. The next AM both pieces of wood had been moved about 3 or 4 inches from the hole, the duct tape was in small pieces again -- and the steel wool was once again on the other side of the rig.

Once access was gained, they could continue work on my furnace. I had temporarily placed Duct Tape all the way around the area were they eaten away the insulation to keep them out of the furnace itself and the ducting to the rig -- plus wanted to maintain proper air flow. The next AM there were numerous holes in the tape and most of it was gone. The furnace had also stopped working. Upon removal of the furnace, it was discovered that most all of the wires had been eaten away. So the Duct Tape here alone cost me $200 in a repair bill.

My rig has one of those all the way through compartments in the very rear. The fresh water fill port begins in that compartment, then goes through the bulkhead to the next compartment where the fresh water tank resides. There was evidence that the rats could gain access from one compartment to the next and through that spacing around the fill hose. So I Duct Taped around the hose to keep them out of that all the way thru compartment.

The next AM, I found a hole in the Duct Tape about the size of a huge rat. In the rear compartment, my supply of toilet tissue was completely destroyed plus numerous other paper products -- but more importantly, I had temporarily stored one of my two dinning table chairs there. I had replaced that area by the table with a file cabinet. Anyway, they had completely destroyed the fabric material on the back of the chair plus the padding under the material. An initial estimate of that damage alone is around$2-300.

Won't bore you here w/more details or how I solved all this -- just wanted to mention the duct tape portions. There is more to the story -- plus advice to those who may ever experiecne this grief. Unfortunately, I was not aware it had started until after much damage had been done. I can assure you tho, if I "ever" hear a crunching sound in the middle of the night again -- I will immediately go into an anti rat attack mode. And duct tape will never again be part of my defense. :mad: Rats "love" duct tape.

But for my Duct Tape story, the one day usage described above has cost me over a thousand dollars -- so far.

Wow Bob sorry to hear of the unwanted guest problems.  Instead of duct tape use aluminum tape.  Would have worked the first time you tried it.

Tom said:
Carson,

I'll also save my story for another time. Just wanted to post a heads up for folks who might not have experienced the sticky mess that Duck/Duct Tape can leave behind if left for too long before removing.

Tom,

WD 40 on a rag and some elbow grease will remove the residue from the duct tape.  There may be something better, but this does work.

Howard

Here is my promised Ducktape story.
It is going to be hard to follow Bob Buchanan's act. (Sorry, Bob, I am still laughing).

It started on July 9/02. DW and I rented a small Palomar Pop-Up and proceeded to head North to our ex-hometown to see family. Final destination was Point Roberts, WA, a small peninsular just South of Vanvouver,BC. It's a 5 sq.mile area, only accessible via Canada. We left Florida with everything prepared.
Tow V. was my 96 Windstar LX, which now at 100K miles is still like new.
Prior to leaving I had the following done: New tires, Wheel alignment, New Serpentine belt,New fluids all around, new front brakes and new trailer hitch. Now what could go wrong?

?We headed North, then West towards Wyoming, Jellystone Park was the destination on the way.
Ole Faithful was still there and did it's thing. Van and trailer behaving great so far.

? On the way out of the park, on a narrow 2-lane road und re-construction, it happened. A crunching, I mean bad, noise in the left front wheel area. Luckily a small pull-of strip happened along, just long enough for car and trailer. (Somebody likes me up there).

? I quickly determined that the left brake caliper assembly had come loose and dropped. The bolt holding it had dropped out and lodged in the ABS systems cogwheel on the axle and destroying it and the mag. sensor as well. ?What to do???

? Get out the jack, remove wheel and act like a man and fix it, right?
The bolt was long gone. Thoughts went thru my mind of a hefty towing bill from the middle of nowhere to who knows where. Ton's of cars went by; one of them asked if they could help. I assured them that I could handle it. ?Where will I get a bolt? I looked in my toolkit and saw something that resembled a bolt, a tapered steel punch (4" long). I stuck it into the hole, which actually aligned the caliper back into position. OK, what now.

Well, (we are getting to the Ductape now). After pounding the punch snuggly into the hole, the d-tape would work, as there were several points to wind it around to secure the punch in the hole. Used about 6' of tape; the result a very solid repair,I hoped.

? A quickie test proved that everything was back to normal. I didnt care about the ABS system.
We started driving again (with crossed fingers) and hoping for a repair facility soon. Well, we had to drive 300 miles to Butte, MN before we found one. (Lisac's Car Repair). They had to drive across town to get a new bolt, which probably was metric. They found one but it was too long, so why not put washers on it for it to work. That cost a measly $50.50.

Back on the road, arriving Point Roberts 19/July/02. A total of 3611 miles. Pheew!

? We opted to make repairs back home in Florida. 3551 miles later we arrived home 4/Aug/02.

The repair consisted of a new front axle, new sensor and diplomacy on my part. The shop that installed new brakes just before our departure finally took responsibilty and fixed all free of charge.
I guess Sears is honorable. As I said before, I had visions of a gigantic repair bill. $50.50 wasn't bad.

Moral of the story, "Don't leave home without it."

Carson, FL. ? ?(Sorry it wasn't a funny story)

Back in days when Joyce could still RV we were at a Newmar Rally in upper Sierras. At breakfast one of our members was an MD and kept noticing Joyce was looking like she was about to pass out.

In examining her he said she had a pinched nerve in her neck. He worked on her neck and said  was going to town that morning and would pick up a collar at a drugstore. There was no drugstore in town let alone a collar. So he bought the largest T Shirt he could find and come back and wrapped it into a collar and duct taped it up. She wore it for several days at the rally and everyone laughted about her duct tape fashion.

Photo Attached

Attachments

• jocollar.jpg
    jocollar.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 58
That's definitely a unique use of Duct Tape Bob Z.

Ron said:
Wow Bob sorry to hear of the unwanted guest problems.? Instead of duct tape use aluminum tape.? Would have worked the first time you tried it.

Thanks Ron. Yes, this was a very bad experience for me.  Can one be sure Rats won't eat thru aluminum tape. They obviouly love copper or whatever was in a lot of wires that ate through. One fellow suggested moth balls. Was then told by a pro exterminator that Rats will even make nests out of moth balls. There's a big difference between rats and mice -- I discovered as well.

Aluminum tape will usually discourage critters from getting in.  It would Be more difficult for them to start an entry hole.  Rats & Mice can chew through would and lots of other things but sheet metal of any kind will usually stop stop them.  Aluminum tape can usually be purchased  at the likes of Home Depot or a furnace place.  For rats you might want to use two or three layers.  Have heard that bounce dryer sheets will help discourage mice but I am not sure about rats.  You might want to get the Aluminum tape and tape up all the entry points with that.  Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom