'02 Adventurer Hydraulic Slide (Bedroom) Issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DBarton02

I seem to be a glutton for punishment with this stuff! Just had something happen and I'm trying to figure out the fix.

Just got back from our trip to Wisconsin and started unpacking at home. Put the jacks down and ran out the bedroom slide to get at the rest of what was in the hamper for laundry. When I went to run the slide back in, I could hear the motor run, and the hydraulic line hiss like it does to retract, but nothing happened - them my wife told me she saw red stuff dripping out from underneath (yay - hydraulic fluid).
Put down the organic soak up stuff and have been troubleshooting.
Currently, the bedroom slide is out and won't retract. The living room slide functions fine. I took off the panel under the bed, and there was some fluid that leaked as well.
I'm trying to get at something to either manually retract it, though the manual does not have great illustrations for which solenoid valve works with the rear bedroom, and which relief valve I should loosen in order to manually push it back in.

Wondering if I'm just too low on fluid at this point, and it won't go at all - but I can't check my levels in the tank till I get it all back in since it's pressurized, right?

This one sucks more than the AC issue!

Update:

Mobile repair guy came out, and after some struggling,we were able to get the cylinder out. Looks like the gasket/seal popped out on a side of the piston causing it to leak out and be stuck.

Going to have both lines made new, and put a new cylinder in.

Fun stuff!

Turns out the cylinder is not one that is made by HWH anymore - they have an updated production number (from AP15818 to RAP28362).

After a bunch of searching online, looks like you can't find these anywhere!

I've got a hydraulic guy working on a quote to have it rebuilt-but has anyone had any luck purchasing a replacement part with reasonable supply/ship times?

Turns out the cylinder is not one that is made by HWH anymore - they have an updated production number (from AP15818 to RAP28362).

After a bunch of searching online, looks like you can't find these anywhere!

I've got a hydraulic guy working on a quote to have it rebuilt-but has anyone had any luck purchasing a replacement part with reasonable supply/ship times?
I would give Stuart Service in Elkhart a call at (574) 262-0225 (www.rvleveling.com) and see if they can help. They're a well recommended source of HWH parts and repairs/support.

Rebuilding hydraulic cylinders is not rocket science. Spend three years in a shop the made cylinders. I spent a lot of time putting them together. Find a good hydraulic shop. They will take it apart, reseal it, and put it together good for another 100,000 miles. As for replacement that too is easy. Take measurements, length open, closed, and diameter. Add pressure rating and go online and start shopping. 90% of the time the shaft is threaded amd a clevis of some sort is threaded onto the end than you can take off and screw onto a new cylinder.

Update:

Mobile repair guy came out, and after some struggling,we were able to get the cylinder out. Looks like the gasket/seal popped out on a side of the piston causing it to leak out and be stuck.

Going to have both lines made new, and put a new cylinder in.

Fun stuff!
If you have more than one cylinder for this particular slide and it's not too costly you might want to have both cylinder's done. A couple of years ago I had a cylinder develop a leak because the seal was just plain old. In talking with the folks who service our coach they suggested changing the seals in the second cylinder as well. I figured the cost was reasonable enough so we had them do it. The deciding factor for me was if one went it was possible the other one wasn't far behind and I did not want to incur the cost of the entire process all over again. Hopefully you'll be up and running again !

^^ Good advice ^^ I had a leaking lift cylinder for my tractor's loader, got its seals replaced and less than a month later the other one started leaking.

I just can't seem to get ahead on anything with this. Hydraulic outfit called me back (had dropped it off to be re-packed) and they told me the glands on the cylinder were shot as well - so rebuilding was something of a process, and they wouldn't be able to guarantee or warranty their work (I'd have a working cylinder, but being aluminum, their process would weaken it).

I called Stuart Service - he doesn't stock any of those parts, so that's a swing and a miss.

I'm sitting here wondering if anyone has ever successfully retrofit a different kind of cylinder in the same area under the bed (same stroke length and size - just not an HWH replica). Called Lippert, and they have 28" and 26.5" stroke cylinders, but not a 27" as the HWH is.

Fearing I'm out of options on this - and it really sucks.

Anyone else have a similar problem?

I'll try anything at this point. I know there'll be a way to get it all right. Bummer is the fact nobody makes the damn cylinder new right now.
Going to talk to the hydraulic shop by me and hopefully get them to rebuild it to where I can get it back in and functioning (even though they won't be able to warranty the work due to modifications) - and then probably submit an order through HWH for a new cylinder, and just play the 'I'll get it when I get it from them game".

Once it comes in, I'll have a new one ready just in case (or when) the rebuilt one decides to fail.

Fun stuff!

The RV Gods must've been watching over me.
Got the cylinder rebuilt. (Chicago or area folks - check out Miller Hydraulic in Manteno, IL)
Cost less than new - but worked out fantastic.

We were able to get it re-installed after some fighting with the allen screw locks - but it's been saved. Just need to put the new slide topper on when it comes in and I'll be good to go.

Owned this thing for 2 1/2 months, and I've so far dealt with 2 of the most complicated problems possible... But... ITS FIXED!!!

Mobile Mechanic did a great job, and was extremely fair with how everything was billed out. Total repair was about $1500.00, which could have been a LOT worse!

That's great news. My standard piece of advice is to use a mobile RV mechanic unless you happen to know a great RV dealer/service department. Those are few and far between.

^^ Good advice ^^ I had a leaking lift cylinder for my tractor's loader, got its seals replaced and less than a month later the other one started leaking.
I'm in the hydraulics repair business. When you do one cyl, all the pressure is now transferred to the weakest seal (i.e. the oldest one). I always suggest getting both sides done, not to make more money, but to curtail you aggravation!

I'm in the hydraulics repair business. When you do one cyl, all the pressure is now transferred to the weakest seal (i.e. the oldest one). I always suggest getting both sides done, not to make more money, but to curtail you aggravation!
I'll definitely keep that in mind should something go awry with the living room slide. That's the one that runs the dual cylinders on the synchro system.

Luckily, my bedroom slide cylinder is a single, and was able to get it rebuilt and reinstalled.

Fingers crossed that's the last time I have to do it!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awiltzius
Back
Top Bottom