03 Newmar Dutch Star

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

howardtx

I have found an 93 Newmar, Dutch Star M 4005, 95 k mi, 350 cummins, Alison TM, Spartan chassis. Should I be at all concerned about the mileage? I believe it has been well maintained. Presents as Very Clean. I know that this is all about who has owned it, and just how much regular maintenance has been done. If I wanted to take a "risk" on an older coach....would this be on the list of one that "might" have a chance to be a good one ? I am up to any comments, and am not likely to be offended. I asked for it...with no more info than I have. Lol. Thanks. Howard, Texas

The Dutch Star was a good rig, so yes there's a "chance," but as you seem to know, it's all about condition, condition, condition and, as Tom says, an inspection is really the only way to know. Keep in mind that, if a description and pictures are all you've seen, there are plenty of scams out there, and if you don't get to see it in person then it might not even exist. In any case, pictures can lie, making things look better than they really are, so unless you're prepared to throw money away and deal with a series of problems, then inspection is the way to go.

Thanks. It is a real coach! But...I am trying to be really careful. Inspection? What certification do I need to look for in an inspector.?

Very much appreciated! I hope I can find a qualified, experienced one. I imagine it's like home insoectors; some GREAT, most so....so. Howard

True, an inspector can be very thorough or just breeze through & check some boxes. But if you lack RV and general tech skills, even a breeze-thru is better than nothing. You are buying a fully furnished house with its own water & electric utilities plus a sophisticated medium duty truck, so there are a lot of things to check. Even a quick inspection will take hours, and a really thorough one for both house & chassis would be a couple days, so expect a significant price tag for a quality inspection. Most NRVIA inspectors don't do deep chassis inspections - maybe just start the engine and apply the brakes once.

Should you worry about the mileage? Of course! The engine internal parts should be fine if decently maintained, but things like fuel pumps, water pumps, starters & alternators, brakes, suspension, air lines, radiators, etc all get wear & tear as well as aging. 95k miles of wear on a coolant water pump is the same whether it is diesel truck miles or gas car miles. Engine internals like pistons, rods, & crankshaft ought to be good for 500k miles.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom