'04 Adventurer or '01 Horizon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scott-0168

Which one would you choose? A 04 Adventurer 35U with 30 k miles or 01 diesel Itasca Horizon 36CD with 60 k miles.
They are asking $49,000.00 each.

Scott  :)

Neither, at least not until a comprehensive physical inspection has taken place. Things like tires are expensive!!!

There are a lot of other things that could enter into your choice as well such as an acceptable floor plan, personal preferences etc, not just what seems to be a low price.

Agree with Stu!  You gotta look closely at both.

All other things being equal, the Horizon model is a bit more upscale than the Adventure, plus there is the diesel vs gas question. I won't go into the latter - plenty has already been written here about choosing gas or diesel. A SEARCH should find more than you ever wanted to know about this thorny subject.

All things checking out well, I vote Horizon. Of course I am biased because I just bought a 2000 Horizon 36LD. So far I love it. FWIW, I paid $41K and it had 70k miles, 6 brand new Michelins, new laminate floor and all new furniture.  This time of year you should be able to negotiate a good deal.

The big deciding point for me between diesel or a slightly newer gas was the fact that I want to take longer trips out west.

jagnweiner said:
All things checking out well, I vote Horizon. Of course I am biased because I just bought a 2000 Horizon 36LD. So far I love it. FWIW, I paid $41K and it had 70k miles, 6 brand new Michelins, new laminate floor and all new furniture.  This time of year you should be able to negotiate a good deal.

The big deciding point for me between diesel or a slightly newer gas was the fact that I want to take longer trips out west.

Being from Michigan,
I would have to think this is a busy time of year also because of us Snowbirds going south soon!
Thanks for the info on your Horizon!

Scott-0168 said:
Being from Michigan,
I would have to think this is a busy time of year also because of us Snowbirds going south soon!
Thanks for the info on your Horizon!

I suppose that is another way to look at it.  :)  Others are more expert than I, but in my two years of Internet shopping leading up to this purchase, it seemed like prices up here in the rust belt dipped in the fall at the end of the summer season.

Btw, don't know if you have driven both, but once I drove a diesel, I lost almost all interest in gas.

If the condition of both is the same;

'01 was a very good year for diesels.  And 60k is not high for a diesel.  I bought a 99' Adventurer with a gas V-10 and I love it for what I purchased it for, parking it and enjoying it on my farm.  But if I was going to do more driving than parking, I would have been looking for a diesel.  But I don't think there are many RV'rs that have put over 200,000 miles traveling.  So in the RV world that may be a mute point. 

In the winter with a diesel one should use an Anti-gel to prevent gelling up, which will shut you down cold. (pun intended)  I've been on the side of the road.  I filled up when it was warm without anti-gel, went through a cold front, over a mountain pass, and froze up.  I was a very cold driver when the tow truck arrived.  That's why everyone with a diesel that runs in the winter, should have a bottle of ; http://www.powerservice.com/d911/ in their tool box, for when they forgot the anti-gel.  A gas works in cold or heat.

A diesel motor has enough torque to pull just about any vehicle.  Even the Cummins 5.9 that people have complained about its power, is the same motor, with different gearing, that is used to pull around 50,000+ lbs daily at freight yards all over this country.  It may not get you there at 80 mph, but it will get you there.

Although with the new formulations of diesel, thanks to the EPA, you can expect to pay more per gallon than for gas, but that should be offset by higher average mileage.  In my gas MH, with a toad, which is less than 2,000 lbs, my mileage suffers over 20%.  With my large diesels, which has in my experience reacted the same as the smaller ones, adding 10% to my gross weight will cost me only about 5% in fuel mileage.  Most diesels drive better with a load. 

As for ride, I believe that is more to the construction of the coach and the suspension than the motor. 

As for noise, as long as the diesel motor is in the rear, it should be quieter than a gas coach with the motor between the seats.

Just my 2 cents.

Tomorrow we are going to look at a 2005 Holiday Rambler Admiral SE 36 DBD Gasoline! It will depend a lot on how much of a beating I will take with my class C Winnebago on trade in! We would really like to move up to a Class A before we head to Florida this Dec.. In any case the C sleeps fine in Florida. lol

Scott-0168 said:
Tomorrow we are going to look at a 2005 Holiday Rambler Admiral SE 36 DBD Gasoline! It will depend a lot on how much of a beating I will take with my class C Winnebago on trade in! We would really like to move up to a Class A before we head to Florida this Dec.. In any case the C sleeps fine in Florida. lol

Nope this HB with rear bath was not for us.

Staff edit: Fix bad quote tag

Found a 2003 37A Pace Arrow, Workhorse powered, that we are going to look at tomorrow. Any comments on this model?

I'm sure some PA owners will chime in, but I believe it is the top of the line gas MH from Fleetwood, a quality manufacturer. That may have been one of the years subject to the workhorse brake recall, so check that out. Otherwise, nothing in particular to be concerned about.

Scott-0168 said:
Found a 2003 37A Pace Arrow, Workhorse powered, that we are going to look at tomorrow. Any comments on this model?

Well we put some money down on the  2003 37A Pace Arrow today. A very nice Coach for being 9 years old!

Back
Top Bottom