07 Patriot Thunder

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cdat

I realize this is a tough question that can't really be answered but, I had a salesman that I've dealt with in the past call me and tell me he had a "great" coach for me to look at.  DW I and I went over, beautiful 07 Patriot Thunder (Hanover), interior full of burl wood, absolutely gorgeous.  Unit is in good shape, a few dings on the outside, nothing major, carpet will need to be replaced inside, not ruined just a little dingy.  40k miles, 841 hours on the 10k onan.  They're asking 249K, NADA shows 240k low retail (open edition).  Any thoughts from those of you with more experience as far as a fair price, going into winter, sales in the rv field have not been great, just wondering what you folks think about a price. 
Yes, they have already agreed to have a dyno run and an oil sample, (both my expense), and will let me have it inspected at the local CAT dealer.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.
John

We've had a Beaver for 18 years and love it. As far as the price, I'd say the dealer is asking top dollar for it. I've been following the prices lately and mostly see the hi end units going closer to the wholesale rather than the retail price. If you really like it, offer the dealer the wholesale price. I bet he's in it for less. The carpet should have been replaced before he even tried to sell it at resale if it's as you describe.

For a 5 year old coach, check the dates on the tires and if they haven't been replaced since it was new, you'll soon be due to buy 8 new tires at $600+each. Also check the batteries. At this age, they should have been replaced also. Ask if the air dryer has been serviced and a cartridge replaced. Make sure all the Beaver manuals and electrical drawings are included. Have the brake linings checked.

Here's a 2007 one like you are looking at with less miles and about 10% less selling price.

http://www.rvmotorized.com/rvdetail5012761.htm

As indicated above by others, the Patriot Thunder is a fine coach. Be aware that with all the complex systems on board, it'll take a while to learn everything (I studied the books for a month before our first trip, and still didn't understand a couple of systems), and there'll be a lot more systems and parts of systems to go bad.

That being said, it drives nice, it's solid, both on the road and when set up at a site in the RV park, and it's versatile, but best suited to major highway travel (drive all day with only a lunch stop, and fuel if needed). Still, it does well on most secondary roads, and once you get to know it, you'll find it does well even on (relatively) tight city streets (barring downtown Santa Fe and a few others like it).

If you like the floor plan and systems, then go for it -- it's well built, and has some nice twists such as a door in front of the left front wheel opening a compartment under the driver's seat that has most of the 12V relays and fuses for the house systems all neatly laid out and labeled. There's (in my Saratoga) another compartment in the bedroom closet with the electronic modules (lighting controls and other things) neatly laid out and labeled. There are other neat maintenance-friendly touches such as that, as well.

Having paid attention to the factory web site and the brochures, the chassis seems to be among the stronger ones around, too. A web site (in case you've not yet found it) that should be of interest to you (and to Beaver owners or afficianados) is this one owned now by Monaco. Note that although the site doesn't have a manual for the '07 Patriot, the one for the 2008 Monaco Dynasty is very similar (mostly identical) to the paper one included with my Patriot.

Hope this helps...

I second all the positive opinions about the Beaver - simply a gorgeous coach all around. But I wouldn't pay $249k if it has a few dings and needs carpet. And that coach is probably actually 6 years old now, so 8 new tires aren't far off either.  I would be offering less or asking them to foot the bill for the updates you feel are needed.

Don't wish to be a scaremonger, nor detract from all the positive comments, but ....

Be sure to drive the coach, and include some grades in the drive (or maybe the dyno test will achieve the same objective?).

We ran into a couple of fulltimers at the a Monaco service center who had a serious lack of power on their Patriot Thunder. I don't recall all the details, nor do I know what the final outcome was, but they were stuck in the service center for weeks trying to get a resolution between Monaco and CAT. The owner suspected that something had been changed, possibly by Monaco, to satisfy a new (that year) EPA requirement, and it prevented the engine from producing full power.

These folks created such a huge fuss that, at one point, they were offered a new coach. They turned down the offer.

I don't recall the year of the coach but, if this coach drives OK and has plenty of power going up the grades, it can't be suffering from the same issue.

I don't mean to suggest that this was a general issue with Beaver coaches, or specifically with the Patriot Thunder. When we were shopping around, we drove several Beaver coaches with no such issues.

Appreciate all the info.  We've been looking at 5th wheels and Coaches, had thought we had decided on a 5er, but DW walked into this coach, looked at me and said "this feels like home", I knew I was in serious trouble. 
Tom - the dyno test "should" reveal any problems, horsepower and torque to the rear wheels, but I intend to drive the coach should we decide to go forward. 
Gary - tire are original, in good shape, but definitely reaching the end of time, so will need to be replaced in the near future.
My biggest concern is the price, i'ts definitely above our budget, we'll see what happens.
Thanks
John

One other thing to check with Beavers of that vintage-carrying capacity. I have seen some early Monaco built Beavers that had no capacity on the front axle. Driver and passenger overloaded it.

Chet, appreciate the link, will be checking with them in the next day or so.  Bernie, that coach has an overall ccc of 6k, with a 12k front axle, besides doing an actual four corner weigh is there a method of determining how much existing weight is on the front axles when the coach is unloaded?

thx
JT

cdat said:
Chet, appreciate the link, will be checking with them in the next day or so.  Bernie, that coach has an overall ccc of 6k, with a 12k front axle, besides doing an actual four corner weigh is there a method of determining how much existing weight is on the front axles when the coach is unloaded?

You could get by with an axle weigh of the front, without corner weighing. Many major truck stops have CAT scales, a local dump or moving company or state weigh station on the highway could give you the weight on the front axle which would answer the question I raised. Both the driver and navigator should be in the coach when it is weighed. 12k seems low for a coach of that size. My 40' '02 TS has a 13,600# front suspension.

cdat....Are you sure that coach has only a 12,000 front axle? As Bernie states, that sounds way to low for a coach that size. Our coach has a 14,600 lb front axle, and last time weighed front was at 12,980 lbs. I would try and look into that a bit more. Good luck.

Our Beaver is a 2005 Monterey, which is the PT's single rear axle cousin. The woodwork is exquisite. The major difference is the tag axle, and the 525 Cat engine. We upgraded from a Holiday Rambler Endeavor, and the Beaver just has so many little conveniences and ease of maintenance that its like night and day. The PT is an excellent coach.

There is a Beaver Owner's website that has downloadable manuals for all models.

Good luck.

There is a Beaver Owner's website that has downloadable manuals for all models.
Hmmm... I've not found that place yet, I guess. If you see owners/service/etc manuals for a 2007 Patriot Thunder, I'd like a link to that site.

Thanks,

Back
Top Bottom