12 days from Atlanta to ???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hlk

Hello All.  I want to rent an RV and take my family on a trip from Atlanta in June.
The only dilema is the time factor which limits us to 12 days in total for the trip.

My idea was to go visit Arizona and Utah and see the national parks but I don't know if we have enough time to do that or not.  We have never done anything like this before so I'm a little afraid because of the fear of the unknown...  I will be with my wife and 5 kids all above the age of 10.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Well, I would hate to drive on that sort of schedule myself, but yes you could probably drive to Utah and see a couple of the incredible parks there and then return in 12 days.  Maybe 4 days driving each way and 4 days to visit two parks.  Everyone will no doubt be worn to a frazzle, but will also say they had a great vacation.

500 mile days are really hard on everybody, but if your family travels well and gets over irritations quickly, you will make it.

I agree with Gary.  Your proposed trip can be done but will make for long driving days.  I do think you would enjoy the parks in Southern Utah.  Be carefull though once you see a part of Southern Utah you will have a longing to return and see what you missed the first time. ;D

Mike and I have done sort of the opposite a couple of times....southwest Colorado (close to Utah and Arizona parks) to Atlanta and spent 6 days in Atlanta plus some sightseeing on the way. But it means zooming across the states in between. But you'd sure enjoy it more if you had more time.

Wendy

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Double your time to 24 days.  ;D

However, barring that pick one park and aim to stay there for 4 -5 nights.  With your raft of kids, I would suggest Yellowstone as the one to aim for.  It is huge, has a lot of things to see, and can be appreciated by a bunch of kids.  Especially kids who have never seen buffalo and elk herds and bears on the hoof.  It has lakes to fish and boat, geysers to see, and mudpots galore. 

If Yellowstone does not do it for you then try Grand Canyon, South Rim. 

In either case the trip to and back will be a bit of hell on wheels, 500 mile days.

By the way, are you doing this in an RV?  :)

My personal favorites of the Utah parks are Arches  and Bryce. However, they are primarily splendid scenery and may not provide much to occupy the attention of kids.  As Carl suggests, Yellowstone is the premier place for variety of outdoor experiences, but that's even further away from Atlanta (in northwest Wyoming).  Yellowstone should be do-able if that's the only place you go.

"By the way, are you doing this in an RV?" - Yep, I want to rent one.

In 1973 my father rented an RV and took all six of us kids on a trip from NY to Minnesota to visit family.
It was by far the most memorable trip that we ever went on. So I wanted the kids to share the same kind of experience as we did back then.

My wife can only leave her job for 12 days so we are kind of stuck.
Another option would be to go to the northeast and heading to Niagra Falls.
The 12 days might work doing it that way.. 

Thank you all so much for your input.

Another option would be to go to the northeast and heading to Niagra Falls.
The 12 days might work doing it that way.. 

Indeed.  That might well be what you want.    Consider coupling the northern Michigan lake coast around Little Traverse Bay and Petosky.  Gorgeous lake scenery, fishing, boating, the Mackinac Straits Bridge and Mackanac Island.  Great family locale.  You could do 2 days at Niagara cut thru Canada, and spend 4-5 days enjoying the Great Lakes atmosphere.

If driving to the south side of Atlanta, it might seem like it takes you 12 days just to move the 30 miles thru it. Unless you do it at 3 in the AM.  And to go around is even worse.  Good Luck

I think the southwest US  sounds like a wonderful trip, but 12 days will be pushing it.  It'll take 3-4 there, and 3-4 back, so that only leaves a few days to see one of the most beautiful places on the planet.  And please do not miss Monument Valley.  We did that trip with our kids a few years ago and took 7 weeks from the Charlotte NC area.  Try this:  fly to Las Vegas or some other destination near there and rent the RV from that location.  We have encountered a number of people - mainly Europeans - that do just that.  If you want to go from Atlanta, a good trip may be up through the Appalachians, over to Washington DC, and back down the NC Outer Banks.

Have Fun!

One thing that you need to consider that may add to your bottom line on this trip is mileage. Most rental companies only allow for 100 miles per day and charge per mile after that. It can range anywhere from $.29 to $1.45 per mile depending on the company.

Some companies charge more per mile the further you go and some even charge for EVERY mile. Be very careful of the first group. If the rental agent can't tell you how much per mile they are going to charge you, move on. There is a company out there that will not tell you and will kill you on mileage when you return and you'll never know unless you ask first.

If you need any advice feel free to email me. Maybe I can at least get you pointed in the right direction.

Another thing to consider is that the Bonnaroo music festival has been announced for June 16th thru the 18th. This is a big rental weekend for businesses east of the Mississippi. In about 2 or 3 weeks there won't be an rental available ANYWHERE for that time. So, if you are planning for your trip to be anywhere near that weekend you better move quick on getting a reservation.

Jay

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom