120V system burned up.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, folks. As it turns out, I took the cover off the outlet box and all the wires inside are melted. (This is where the smoke was coming from.) So, I set up an appointment with my RV mechanic. I will leave it in his capable hands. Thanks for all the info, tho. I did learn a bit from the responses.

If the wires in the box are melted.. You have a problem

When my rig was new I had issues with the air conditioning and tracked it to the breaker box. Several screws were loose one took over 3 full turns before I was happy... (Ok so I over tighten but it was so lose the wire moved with minor touch.. NOT good) I really should have sent a bill to Damon for that but ... alas.. too much paperwork. (I'm kind of expensive when I send bills.. When it's friends and family.. A cup of coffee works.. but companies get 150/hr.)

If the wires in the box are melted.. You have a problem

When my rig was new I had issues with the air conditioning and tracked it to the breaker box. Several screws were loose one took over 3 full turns before I was happy... (Ok so I over tighten but it was so lose the wire moved with minor touch.. NOT good) I really should have sent a bill to Damon for that but ... alas.. too much paperwork. (I'm kind of expensive when I send bills.. When it's friends and family.. A cup of coffee works.. but companies get 150/hr.)
The great thing about my RV mechanic is that he is very good about standing behind his work. No matter how much it costs him.

Just to add, the buzzing you heard was from the plug not making good contact inside the pedestal 30 amp outlet. The buzzing was arching inside. The pedestal outlet may be worn out. What you need is a adapter which will allow you to plug into the 50 amp outlet if it has one. The 30 amp outlet gets used more than the 50 amp.
For now, clean up the pins on your plug. Then shut off the breaker at the pedestal. Then plug in your plug several times in a attempt to clean the pedestal receptacle, then turn on the breaker.
Like previously said, always turn off the breaker before plugging in to prevent arching and shut off the breaker when unplugging to once again prevent arching.
Circuit breakers that are welded and cannot open will make a buzzing noise also. OP may have a short or burned wire where the shore cord enters his RV and the pedestal breaker for whatever reason didn't want to trip.

Time to start disassembling stuff looking for the evidence.

Put The Evidence In The Car Junior!

Yes, the shore power goes directly to the 30 amp main breaker in the panel inside the RV (though it may have splices in it, changing it to Romex. Your generator supplies the 30TT receptacle in the RV and while it may be in the same box where the shore cord enters, it should not be electrically connected to anything else. Just take screws out and start looking, should not be too hard to find. I'm willing to bet you will find a smoked wirenut where the fine stranded shore cord is spliced to a solid 10 gauge Romex in that box, and that is why you have nothing inside the RV working. Wirenuts are not suited for doing this and RV manufacturers used them because they were easy.

If that is what you find, take one of these split bolts............ strip back the wires till you get clean, unburned wire, and put both ends in it and tighten it very tight, wrap with many turns of electrical tape. Then take the other wire apart and do the same, using up the remainder of the tape on it.

Split bolt connector

wire-connectors-wire-terminals-8sbc-b2-5-64_145.jpg

Charles

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back