120V wiring schematic?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

coy55boyrv

New owner still trying to get the rig ship shape. The exterior 120V outlet on the starboard (passenger) side had a busted cover. When I went to replace it, I realized the tabs that hold the receptacle in place were also broken. So, I installed a new receptacle and cover. Later, when I fired up the generator, I decided to check all of the 120 outlets. All of them are good EXCEPT the one I replaced and another one under the dining table a few inches away. Tracing the wires as best as I could, it looks like the outlet under the table is downline from the exterior outlet. Initially, I thought I didn't get the wires pushed in far enough in the new outlet. But, then I realized that even if there were no connection, there should still be voltage under the table. I've looked online to find a wiring schematic to determine where the feed going to the exterior outlet comes from without success. Anyone have a suggestion?

edit by staff - changed message icon to topic solved

Is that outside receptacle fed by a GFCI that has tripped? The GFCI might well be hidden somewhere that's not obvious.

agree with Tom, I would hunt down GFCI first, they will get you every time. if you don't have a breaker tripped, and you have power in other places, unless you didn't strip insulation back far enough before you stabbed into receptacle, then most likely cause is a GFCI.

Have you checked EVERY outlet in the rig. The one near the bathroom sink and the one near the kitchen sink may be a GFCI or at least protected by a GFCI.

The 110V diagram shows that both the exterior receptacle and the one by the dinette are downstream of the bathroom receptacle. It also says that all 3 are GFCI protected. I'd check that bathroom receptacle for a tripped GFCI.

Thanks to all! You were all correct! When I checked the outlets, I somehow missed the one in the bathroom. I looked at it this morning and immediately slapped my forehead. Once it was reset, everything is good.

Glad you got it figured out.

I looked at it this morning and immediately slapped my forehead

We've long had a saying on the forum for the times we make a mistake or overlook something simple:
HFWPOH = Hit Forehead With Palm Of Hand
Many of us have done a HFWPOH, some of us more than once  ;D

coy55boyrv said:
Thanks to all! You were all correct! When I checked the outlets, I somehow missed the one in the bathroom. I looked at it this morning and immediately slapped my forehead. Once it was reset, everything is good.

I'll bet you'll never forget about that one outlet. Thanks for getting back yo us. Too often, we try to help people and never hear from them as to whether we helped or not.

Tom said:
The 110V diagram shows that both the exterior receptacle and the one by the dinette are downstream of the bathroom receptacle. It also says that all 3 are GFCI protected. I'd check that bathroom receptacle for a tripped GFCI.

Hey Tom, if you have an up-loadable copy of that wiring diagram, would you mind posting it? Or let me know where I can find it?

I don't have the diagram, but cbeierl posted a link to it in his reply.

Live and learn. And for those keeping score, it takes 2 ata boys to make up for one ahh sh_t.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom