12v electrical issue in living room slide lights

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dknouse

I have had an issue with the small 12v ceiling lights and wall lights going out due to corrosion on the wiring connectors.  Usually I just cut the bad connectors out and put new regular electrical connections and fill them with silicon.  I have read a lot about how poor the connections are when they are located immediately above the tire area.  We travelled this winter in some road salt and I suspect this is causing my corrosion problem.  I have to get the corrosion off the wiring.  It has progressed quite far along the wire to the point I am considering cutting it out and replacing.  The wire itself doesn't look like it's marine grade at all.  Is there any other way to get the corrosion off my wiring and then put a good sealed connection there?  The corrosion has turned the copper leads black and it has progressed under the insulation quite a ways.

Any help is appreciated.

If the problem is caused by the wiring being exposed to the elements than if you have access to each end of the wiring you might be better off using the old wire to pull new wire the entire length of the exposed area.  I would also suggest that you might use wire loom covering and also tape it up along the entire length.

https://www.harborfreight.com/electrical/electrician-s-tools/wire-running/3-8-eighth-inch-x-10-ft-protective-wire-wrap-66987.html

Good Luck.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
David W.
Back
Top Bottom