12v lights interior of TT

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stormy2000

hello,
  our 3rd week of FT in our new TT, and we came back to trailer after dinner out, and turned on Tv and about to sit down and all the power went out!
Tv light went out and it seemed like we lost all power.  everyone around us seemed to have power so it seemed like it was just us.  checked power source,  converter, and could not fig it out. 

as it got dark, i turned on the switch to one of our ceiling lights and it came on? on our control panel, there is a ceiling light switch that turns on one
of the ceiling light, but this light was not one of them.  turned on the lights in the kitchen, bathroom, bedroom and they all came on?

i thought all of the interior lights less the one controlled by the control panel was powered by 110v or shore power? we use these lights a lot and if they are all 12v, then i guess that having lots of lights on will be a big drain on our battery? we have 1 group 24 battery. 

and we did find the problem, wife had inadvertently hit the gfci switch on the 110v plugin when she went to plug her phone in to recharge.  reset
switch and everything came back to normal.

my question on the interior lights being 12v and not 110v powered is what we are trying to figure out now. thank you in advance.

bill & jodi

Lowell

If your TT is like mine, all the lights are 12v and run off the battery.  If plugged into shore power, the lights are brighter because the converter is working and doing a better job of putting out 12 volts + than the battery does. 

mypursuit

When plugged in to a power pedestal power is supplied to your converter which changes 110 volt AC to 12 volt DC for items like your lights.  In addition the refrigerator,  furnace use 12 volt.  When you lose 110 volts your lights, refrigerator and furnace are drawing off of the battery.  The refrigerator will run on propane but always needs some 12 volt. 

stormy2000

hmm ok, thank you for replies, now i know why the people change those light bulbs to leds. 

thanks again,

bill & jodi

Top Bottom