12v TV wiring

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ceflooring

We bought an Open Range 18ft last fall and I just bought a Supersonic 22" TV that is DC compatible for it. How do I hook up the DC power for it? See the attached photo for the setup that my trailer has currently. The label says "12 volt Outlet for TV Power Only" but I don't see a 12 volt outlet anywhere, what am I missing? Also, the TV didn't come with a 12V adapter.

Attachments

• IMG_5874.jpg
    IMG_5874.jpg
    257.3 KB · Views: 58
Welcome to the forum.
Have you removed the plate to see what’s behind it. It may be just indicating that power is there behind the plate

I'm not worried about finding a 12v cord to plug into the TV, I just don't know wher I'm going to plug it into as a power source. The TV is AC and DC compatible, but I will need to find a DC power source near the TV to plug it into. There is a radio nearby in the adjacent cupboard that I may be able to piggyback power from.

Good idea, but unfortunately, it doesn't look like it
There is 12VDC behind that panel. The the button on the front turns on the amplifier for the OTA antenna. Push button in and the little red light comes on. Light on for OTA antenna, light off for cable. 12VDC should be on one of the two plugs I see there.

The 12V power available on those cable connections is to power an antenna preamp, not to power a TV. Whether the 12V circuit that powers the preamp supply would be enough current would have to be verified. If the AC outlet to the left doesn't offer inverter power you might be bound to finding a different source of 12V DC.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

Tom, looking at that picture real close, the thing you’re pointing to looks the same as the thing just below it. It even has a name embossed in the side of it and it looks to me like it’s the plug end of a coax cable at least the bottom device. You can just barely see what looks like a coax cable coming out of the device you’re pointing to. It looks like it is screwed on to a 90 degree elbow

If the OP could take another picture from a different angle it would help.
Also a 12 volt receptacle would be 3 times bigger than the bottom coax fitting

I'll take another picture today and post it. maybe I should test the 110v receptacle (both sides) and see if one of them is 12v, doesn't make sense to me though. I just wonder what I plug into to get a 12v power source. If it's the receptacle I've never seen a 12v plug that's wired to fit into a standard receptacle.

It should look like a cigarette lighter socket, a round hole about 3/4" diameter, 2" deep.

We bought an Open Range 18ft last fall and I just bought a Supersonic 22" TV that is DC compatible for it. How do I hook up the DC power for it? See the attached photo for the setup that my trailer has currently. The label says "12 volt Outlet for TV Power Only" but I don't see a 12 volt outlet anywhere, what am I missing? Also, the TV didn't come with a 12V adapter.
To me it appears the outlet plate is mislabeled, it should have a 12V accessory receptacle in addition to the cable and OTA antenna connections.
FWIW, most TV's operate on 12V internally and have a small 120VAC converter to 12V just inside the cabinet.
It's time to call the mfgr. and ask hard questions.

The white one.

Take a paperclip and push it into the center of the white jack and measure voltage to the side of the same plug an I bet you see 12VDC.

It's a very old trick but you can send DC power down a coax at the same time as a television signal.

The coaxial port combines 12v power and the antenna/cable feed. It’s called power-over-coaxial (PoC).

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom