14 Dogs Saved from Burning Camper

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Unfortunately, one of the dogs our Sheriff’s saved ran off, was hit by a vehicle, and died. Since it happened in the Murdoch's (ranch supplies) parking lot, they provided the kennels.

Hopefully, the trailer owner doesn't sue our only Murdoch's for allowing RV's to park overnight there. That's where we shop for our clothing, boots, gloves, hats, fencing, heavy winter apparel, posts, hardware, tools, RV tanks and refills, dog food and bowls, guns and ammunition, generators, garden equipment, rat poison that doesn't just feed them, etc.

I find it incredible how crazy some of the lawsuits in the US are. Why would they be responsible for a fire in someone's trailer?

If that was to happen I'd counter sue.

🙄

I find it incredible how crazy some of the lawsuits in the US are. Why would they be responsible for a fire in someone's trailer?

If that was to happen I'd counter sue.

🙄
The US is probably one of the most, if not the most, litigious societies in the world. Somebody farts in an elevator someone else sues them. There are warnings on everything because companies have to cover their ass.

A motorcyclist won a major cash award when he sued a municipality after he missed a curve and blamed it on the lack of signage. No fault was applied to the motorcyclist even though he was legally DUI, did not have a motorcycle license, and admitted that he was adjusting the headlight while driving just before the crash.

Anyone can sue anyone if they so desire but if the lawsuit is frivolous the judge may throw it out. Also the party bringing the lawsuit will probably be liable for the lawyers fees of the defendant if they loose. These crazy lawsuits do make the news but it's the ambulance chasing lawyers that are the bad players. For the most part, the system works well.

I've never been sued in my life and only filed a lawsuit once for damages and won.

We were sued by a contractor for $100,000. On top of doing shoddy work he stealing materials and not paying subcontractors so we fired him in writing. We had to get an attorney and the case went on for a year. His attorneys kept dropping him because he wouldn’t pay them. We were served numerous times by the subs trying to get us to pay. I had to show paperwork the crooked contractor signed saying he paid these contractors. I told them they would have to sue him to get paid. The judge kept continuing the case so the crooked contractor get arrange counsel. The case was eventually dropped But it costs us our attorney fees.

A motorcyclist won a major cash award when he sued a municipality after he missed a curve and blamed it on the lack of signage. No fault was applied to the motorcyclist even though he was legally DUI, did not have a motorcycle license, and admitted that he was adjusting the headlight while driving just before the crash.
I'm having a little trouble believing that. Could you cite a source?

We were sued by a contractor for $100,000
Was he saying he did work you didn't pay him for? Or was he saying he lost future earnings after you fired him? Typically, contractors will put a mechanics lien on the property for an unpaid bill.

Could you sue him for your costs defending yourself? This is probably futile as those crooks file bankruptcy and start a new company.

Was he saying he did work you didn't pay him for? Or was he saying he lost future earnings after you fired him? Typically, contractors will put a mechanics lien on the property for an unpaid bill.

Could you sue him for your costs defending yourself? This is probably futile as those crooks file bankruptcy and start a new company.
He said we did not have the right to fire him. He said he owned the house. We purchased the land and acquired the construction loan. He was making draws from the bank but not paying the subs. The lumber company put a lien against the house for materials not paid for. We had someone go through the list of materials supposedly purchased for the house and he determined that there was no way there was that much lumber in our house. We settled with the lumber company for 10’s of thousands dollars less than the invoice. We settled with the equipment rental company for a high reach that was used for maybe a week and then sat across the street for another month. We paid for 7 days rental. The subs that weren’t paid had to sue the contractor since I had paperwork saying they were paid. He was pocketing that money. We had someone else finish the house and found that the HAVAC contractor mixed and matched parts (mostly mixed). The evaporator and condenser were rated for two different refrigerants. The system had to taken out and a new one installed to the tune of $14,000. That contractor went bankrupt. We stayed in the house 18 months then I was offered a position at Scott AFB. We sold it for $90,000 over the mortgage which had us just about break even.

What a mess! Sorry you had to go through all that. But I guess it ended well enough if you broke even.

Some years back my sister was stationed at Scott AFB and I visited her. She bought a house nearby in a new development with private gates and a lake, it was beautiful. Well, a few years later, the homes in the development started sinking as the ground under the development was full of old mine shafts. That was a mess to unravel and took years of lawsuits to get them straight.

The US is probably one of the most, if not the most, litigious societies in the world. Somebody farts in an elevator someone else sues them. There are warnings on everything because companies have to cover their ass.
Just last Friday a person was awarded nearly $500 because the man in the seat in front of him reclined his seat without warning the person behind him. This was on a train.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom