15vDC 50,000 mfd Capacitor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What is this capacitor used for ?

located in distribution panel area of 94 Fleetwood Southwind - once you pull out panel it was under a metal cover

it tests bad

Attachments

• 4CCF56E8-DC10-4DE6-A23E-F3548600A768.jpeg
    4CCF56E8-DC10-4DE6-A23E-F3548600A768.jpeg
    119.3 KB · Views: 9
IN a 94... What converter do you have?
A 50,000 uF sounds like a hardening capacitor used for high end high power audio installs
OR: ... a "Battery Simulator" (A term Magnatek used to use to describe how they got a 6300 to work WITHOUT a battery.

Should you decide to replace it. try high end car audio stores.. Normally I'd recommend replace with a capacator of the same uF rating. but in this case you can go smaller or larger by half the voltage rating of 15-20 should be good.. I'd not go much over 20

IN a 94... What converter do you have?
A 50,000 uF sounds like a hardening capacitor used for high end high power audio installs
OR: ... a "Battery Simulator" (A term Magnatek used to use to describe how they got a 6300 to work WITHOUT a battery.

Should you decide to replace it. try high end car audio stores.. Normally I'd recommend replace with a capacator of the same uF rating. but in this case you can go smaller or larger by half the voltage rating of 15-20 should be good.. I'd not go much over 20
I had a 50 amp magnatek converter charger that was not working - putting in a

Progressive Dynamics PD9260CV Inteli-Power 9200 Series Converter/Charger with Charge Wizard - 60 Amp​

So not sure if I need the capacitor
I found a replacement at www.tedss.com

Attachments

• EAF861F3-F41F-4DBF-9FBB-4DC08A3ADAB7.jpeg
    EAF861F3-F41F-4DBF-9FBB-4DC08A3ADAB7.jpeg
    215.8 KB · Views: 3
You don't need the capacitor with a replacement converter. It was a half hearted attempt to smooth out the unfiltered output of the old 6300.

It's way undersized, 15V in an automotive application is inadequate even with zero ripple. Prolly put there when folks complained of hearing buzzing coming out of things that would typically operate silently like lights. A new converter eliminates all those issues and I would remove or at least disconnect the cap as eventually it may fail as a short.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

Ok, magnatek converters, at least some of them need a battery or they do not work
That cap is basically a 5 amp-second battery. what Magnatek calls a "Battery Simulator"

Oh by the way thanks. I have suspected all along that's what the Battery Simulator was and I've seen the metal box but never what's inside it. So I learned or rather confirmed something today. A good day. "
You do not need it with PD converters. they work fine with, or without a battery. Same for most every one made today.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom