*1964 GM PD-4106 * Questions to the Community *

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

1964 GM Lady Alma

Good Day Fellow Bus Nuts,

Hi, I'm new the forum but I wanted to ask for some advice in making a decsion. I found a decent 64 GM conversion. It needs a lot of love, however it runs and has plenty of potental. My questions to you wonderful ladies and gents are.

1. The seller is asking 25k with a complete interior. Bus is already listed RV. I asked him I would not need the interior completed as I would demo the inside. What should I counter his price at? I was thinking 10k.

2. How available are part for the 2-stroke 8V71 Detroit Diesel?

That vehicle is over 50 years old. It could have numerous hidden issues. Getting parts may be challenging. If it is a fun project and you are a decent mechanic with a lot of time, it might be worth buying. I'm not an expert, but I do a lot of my own mechanic work. But, I wouldn't pay very much for it. And, unless it was superbly maintained, I'd expect to spend a lot of cash repairing and refurbishing. But, even well maintained 50 year old equipment is very likely to require a lot of ongoing maintenance/repair.

I would not take it if they were paying me to take it. First off a 50 year old vehicle is nothing but a money pit. Second most RV parks and campgrounds do not allow school bus conversions.

SeilerBird said:
Second most RV parks and campgrounds do not allow bus conversions.

I would like to see the look on the faces of the owners of Marathon and Prevost conversions getting turned away! ;D The bus conversions that Tom is refering to are generally schoolies. Many  places do have a 10 year rule though. I agree that something that old will most likely end up costing a lot more than what it is worth in the end, but then again, most rv's are like that. It will definitely be a labor of love.

Is this bus a standard shift (4 speed)? The Detroit 8V71 is a decent engine if not wore out, about 7.5 mile per gallon or less if automatic trans.>>>Dan

I spent a lot of time and miles with a Detroit 671 and a 10 speed Roadranger. Tough, durable motor. The advice I first received was "Drive it like you slammed your hand in the door on the way in." In other words keep it revved up, power is at high rpms, no lugging these things! They sound like they are going twice as fast as anything else because of the 2 stoke design-loved that tune!

Parts are readily available 71 series Detroit.
One thing, if you notice the engine NOT leaking oil and spraying it all over under carriage and rear bumper, immediately shut engine down and add oil

Back
Top Bottom