1977(?) Starcraft Travel Trailer GUT job help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Moore8809

SOOOO I have a chance to get a 1977(?) Starcraft Travel Trailer.

FREE. But is near dead- total gut job.
I need this.I need an outlet. I'm a stay at home mom with no social life and would love something I can get lost in and still have it benefit my family.
(of course Hubby will help)

Budget-$2500  :-\ not sure here.... this includes the roof, 4 new tires, wood and 2x2's.
Time frame- 6 Months (North Carolina weather warm then cold no Fall ha)

1st
Inside to get the mold out. Its sat for years. Gut the walls
or
Do the roof with Dicor..

Im not sure to do first.

Please keep it positive im sure it could be worse lol I know this is gonna be a ringer.

If I were going to do this I think I would start with the roof and making sure it is all sealed up.  Then tear out the inside.  I would want to protect all my work from possible molding again if the roof and outside weren't sealed.

Good luck with your project!

My advice is research the poo out of it, and then get a game plan. i am in the middle of a very extensive rebuild on a 30 foot fifth wheel that I thought would be a simple fix in the beginning. It's been a very eye opening experience for me. I do a LOT of youtube searches, and this forum is full of great info as well. If you don't have a covered area to work in, I would recommend at least buying a cover or large tarp to keep it dry. If you have the aluminum siding, it will more than likely have to come off to rebuild the walls. (at least, that's how mine was.) RV's are built from the inside out, so it makes sense that to do demo, you have to usually go from the outside in.

Make lists, take lots of pictures and have fun!!!

Tons of luck to you!!!  :D

This sounds like just the thing you need to keep you sane.  Like Roodie said, start with the roof and go from there but definitely do the research. 
Good luck with your rebuild!!

Robin

I would pick up a table saw  so you can rip down 2/4 to the size you need rather then buying 2/2.  The quantity of ten at home centers is questionable at best.  As far as cost you're probably break even on the lumber cost savings and you could buy a table saw for a hundred bucks...... I also recommend liquid nail at all jpints

robertusa123 said:
I would pick up a table saw  so you can rip down 2/4 to the size you need rather then buying 2/2.  The quantity of ten at home centers is questionable at best.  As far as cost you're probably break even on the lumber cost savings and you could buy a table saw for a hundred bucks...... I also recommend liquid nail at all jpints

Awesome great advice!

I would agree with Robertusa123 "I would pick up a table saw  so you can rip down 2/4 to the size you need rather then buying 2/2.  The quantity of ten at home centers is questionable at best.  As far as cost you're probably break even on the lumber cost savings and you could buy a table saw for a hundred bucks...... I also recommend liquid nail at all jpints" :)
You will get better lumber and tool up. And with any job of this kind the more tools the better!  ;D
I think I would do roof first also.  I am doing a minor rebuild on mine and that is how I started.  I cleaned, refurbished, and re-caulked. I am now building a pole barn to park it under so that it will be safe from sun and rain/snow this fall and winter. Keep us informed of your progress, it will help get me going on my project.  ;D
Oak

I would normally say, "Are you crazy??"  but you know what you are getting into, and you want the challenge.  This is MUCH  cheaper than therapy!

Most RV damage comes from leaking roof or windows.  I would fix those (at least roof) first to prevent damage to newly completed repairs.  Plan on it taking twice as long and costing you twice as much than expected.

Murphy:  The first 80% of any project takes 80% of the time and 80% of the money.  The last 20% of the project takes the other 80% of the time and 80% of the money.

I would start with gutting it first.......  and any major structure repairs.  Then roof.  Wouldn't want you falling thure the roof

I agree with fixing the roof first. Once you have it structurally sound look at different ways of furnishing it. You don't have to use the same furniture as they did look on line you will see that people use all sorts of furniture old dresser, desk kitchen cabinets ,sinks Small refigerator. Have fun with it also don't forget about the bargain bins for drawer handles and curtains and amazon has LED lights for cheep.    PS. Don't forget about replacing the electrical systems if it is a total gut now's the time.

Back
Top Bottom