1978 Boles Aero, roof is peeling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tressa_G

Any Boles Aero fans out there?
I may have bitten off more than I can chew! Lol
So, im writing specifically about the roof, bc I know im going to have to scrape all of this stuff off and redcoat it. But one thing that was weird.. what is chipping of seems to feel like some sort of metal paint? It almost looks aluminum. Is that possible?
Im planning to scrape and sand it some, then re seal it. Does any of you have any advice on smart ways to do this? Best products? I was planning to use Dicor roof seal for metal roofs.
There doesn’t appear to be any leaks coming from the roof, but there are obvious sign of water damage… so just trying to figure it out as I go. There are leaks coming from the roof vents.

I have gutted it!
The bathroom panels are still attached but for the most part its all ready for what’s next. I wont be traveling in this trailer, it will likely move with my from place to place over time. Now that I am starting, its a lot bigger than I need, but here we are! :) The plan is to convert it into a studio space, that can be slept in but wont be travelled in for long periods. Ive throw out most practical uses and plan to have a little fun. I want to put a infared sauna in place of the shower, but will leave the plumbing for future needs. So if you want to weigh in on that, let me know.
Im 5’2”, weigh about 110, and I plan to do most of this solo. Getting help with electric and plumbing. That being said, any advice of these trailers?

PLEASE Don’t just chime in with “how much work its going to be”. I know that. I bought a project trailer. I want to learn these skills. Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• D238A651-61CA-46E2-89D8-61D989640868.jpeg
    D238A651-61CA-46E2-89D8-61D989640868.jpeg
    278.9 KB · Views: 13
  • DA881959-2D94-41C7-9B3B-AAADED2997B0.jpeg
    DA881959-2D94-41C7-9B3B-AAADED2997B0.jpeg
    236.4 KB · Views: 9
  • 2E6D9820-9891-4FDA-9379-C7EC1686A070.jpeg
    2E6D9820-9891-4FDA-9379-C7EC1686A070.jpeg
    229.8 KB · Views: 11
  • 99B7EA89-A22A-4AE5-8252-0345A6832A00.jpeg
    99B7EA89-A22A-4AE5-8252-0345A6832A00.jpeg
    185.2 KB · Views: 13
  • 6E8D3E06-E7F6-4F61-B964-D23C65A68D37.jpeg
    6E8D3E06-E7F6-4F61-B964-D23C65A68D37.jpeg
    246.9 KB · Views: 13
I'm not familiar with that model, but trailers of that vintage often had galvanized metal roofs. And it would not be surprising that it was at some point over-coated with a thick roof sealer "paint", possibly with asbestos fibers embedded in the coating. More recent coatings used fiberglass fibers instead of asbestos.

Two ways I can see this ending up, scrape it clean and recoat it (Tropi-cool, et al), or scrape it clean and put a new membrane (TPO, EPDM) over it. Neither one especially difficult or expensive DIY. Since you're OK with a gut job and revamp of a trailer with no intrinsic value already, then a roof replacement is just another item on the list.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

Cool old trailer. I agree, someone probably topcoated the prior galv or alum roof. Scrape away, reseal it. Please use a decent respirator, some nasty stuff used back in the day to be breathing.

Two ways I can see this ending up, scrape it clean and recoat it (Tropi-cool, et al), or scrape it clean and put a new membrane (TPO, EPDM) over it. Neither one especially difficult or expensive DIY. Since you're OK with a gut job and revamp of a trailer with no intrinsic value already, then a roof replacement is just another item on the list.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
“A trailer with no intrinsic value”.. you mean the boles?

Can I leave some of it ? Or do I have to scrape all the old sealant off? Asbestos in the paint? Jesus! I hadn’t even thought of that.

Cool old trailer. I agree, someone probably topcoated the prior galv or alum roof. Scrape away, reseal it. Please use a decent respirator, some nasty stuff used back in the day to be breathing.
I really hope that was fiberglass I was tearing out. I did wear a respirator tho

Work on a 1950's home some time. Lead pipes, lead in the paint, asbestos in insulation and floor tiles, sometimes the drywall or plaster too. Modern roof goop can sometimes have fiberglass in it. By the 1970's I would think asbestos would've been phased out but if you have an inquiring mind you could get a sample tested. But having worked fiberglass insulation and auto body work you don't want to be breathing fiberglass either.

In a perfect world you'd clean the roof off down to substrate before applying a new membrane or coating. Practically speaking you scrape off what you can without destroying the substrate. After that it is what it is, so cosmetics sometimes will take a back seat to whatever end result you get. You want to get as much off as you can, as the new stuff may not adhere well to the old or seal as well, negating the whole point of the effort.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

Since the stuff is already peeling in places, what makes you think the rest won't continue to do so? Overcoating a peeling layer is too often an exercise in futility when the under-layer continues to peel months later. Yeah, scraping it off is arduous. It's often easier to strip the substrate and replace than to get the old seal coating off. And that way you can inspect and fix (if needed) the supporting structure.

Asbestos wasn't actually banned until 1989 and it was still in wide use in the 70's.

Can I leave some of it ? Or do I have to scrape all the old sealant off? Asbestos in the paint? Jesus! I hadn’t even thought of that.
The better the prep work, the better the results and better the longevity. That applies to more than you think (y)(y)

Last edited:
Those pictures hurt my soul. Back when I was traveling with my father we had a 24' Boles that he bought brand new. I loved that trailer...it was the first one we had where the bunk was big enough for me.
Hope you get her back in some semblance of order. Oh, and Spencer's right, that coating didn't come on the trailer from the factory, it was some previous owners attempt at roof repair.

Those pictures hurt my soul. Back when I was traveling with my father we had a 24' Boles that he bought brand new. I loved that trailer...it was the first one we had where the bunk was big enough for me.
Hope you get her back in some semblance of order. Oh, and Spencer's right, that coating didn't come on the trailer from the factory, it was some previous owners attempt at roof repair.
Well I knew that. It’s galvanized
Since the stuff is already peeling in places, what makes you think the rest won't continue to do so? Overcoating a peeling layer is too often an exercise in futility when the under-layer continues to peel months later. Yeah, scraping it off is arduous. It's often easier to strip the substrate and replace than to get the old seal coating off. And that way you can inspect and fix (if needed) the supporting structure.

Asbestos wasn't actually banned until 1989 and it was still in wide use in the 70's.
thats the easiest “duh” I’ve arrived at. Thanks

Keep us posted as you do the work. As an incentive, here is one that has been restored and is on the road nowadays.
1965-Boles-Aero-Vintage-Camper-Trailer.jpg

I have tried everything to make this easy….
Acetone, pressure washer, angle grinder, heat gun, mallet and putty knife. What IS this?? Any ideas on how to get it off before I just grind out the edges and coat it in Dicor? 🤪

Attachments

• 379F5609-E496-4D57-8695-A5CD5BA3E358.jpeg
    379F5609-E496-4D57-8695-A5CD5BA3E358.jpeg
    271.6 KB · Views: 8
Looks like aluminized roof coating. "Mechanically", like with a wire cup brush and an angle grinder. At least the high spots and loose stuff.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

The picture looks like it was some sort of asphalt coating. You definitely need to get the loose stuff off but I'm not so sure that the Dicor material will stick over the asphalt if that is what it is. I'd try to pin down what was used and replace it with something that is compatible with it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
David W.
Back
Top Bottom