1984 Revcon Prince 31' Whale Tale

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Debi Coccellato

I have a 84' Revcon Prince 31' Whale Tale model motorhome. It's in mint condition. I bought from a neighbor. Had no idea how rare it was. I'm trying to get some info on this, i.e., how many were made, what this thing worth, etc. If you have any of this info, would love to hear about it. Thanks in advance.

The Revcon motorhome dates back to 1968, when a man named John Hall conceived the idea of a low-profile, front-drive coach with a lightweight aluminum monocoque body. This was not entirely a coincidence since John was the stepson of Wally Byam, the founder of Airstream.

John Hall worked for Airstream for 20 years as an engineer and later in marketing. Articles make the case for Hall being the driving force at Airstream in trailer design. That he dedicated himself to starting Revcon in 1968 was no surprise.

Production started in Fountain Valley, California, with the 1972 model using the Oldsmobile Toronado 455 engine and drive system. By the end of the 1970s, however, Olds had downgraded its drive systems, which were no longer suitable for motorhome use, so Revcon designed its own front-wheel drive system using the Chevrolet 454 engine. They also redesigned the nose of the coach at this time to the beautiful streamlined shape that was in use with minor variations until the end of production in 1989.

GM made Revcon build a prototype and do extensive testing to prove the Oldsmobile front wheel drivetrain would stand up to motorhome use before they'd sell them the engines and transmissions. A couple of years later this became the foundation for the famous GMC motorhome.

Stumbled on your post a year late. Not sure if you are still around, but I owned a Revcon for 16 years and 80K miles. If you need information let me know. I did a ton of upgrades to mine, including dropping a 502 in it, with MPFI. Also converted to a 4L85e trans. From a 20 mph roll, you could floor it, and it would spin the front wheels. Depending on the pavement surface, it would chirp going into second at 50 mph.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom