1985 Lazy Daze 22 - What questions should I ask

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Strizz26

Hello! I?m looking to possibly purchase a 1985 lazy days 22 with 93,000 miles on it. The interior has all been renovated they are asking 28,000. It has solar panels and a new fridge. What kind of questions should I be asking them? What should I be looking out for? Any guidance is most appreciated, this would be a very big purchase for me and I?ve been looking for a long time and I don?t wanna make a bad decision buying some thing so old but the inside of it looks amazing!

No matter the looks I would not be a buyer for over 5-6 grand.
You need to ask what chassis it is on and engine for more specific advice
How old the tires are?  If over 5 years then you will need to get new ones. It does not matter how they look. even if they look brand new over 5 they should. be replaced. Depending on. size that could run you a. thousand or more.
All the rubber hoses and belts may need changing because of age as the rubber deteriorates.
Brake fluid may need changing if over 7-8 years old.
Be prepared to spend big money on maintenance. and repairs. if big money on repairs is out of your comfort level then pass on the home.

Lazy Daze has a good reputation for quality, but it would take a thorough inspection to determine the condition of a 35 year old RV, no matter how well it was built. I don't know anything about the specific rig you're looking at, but $28,000.00 seems way high for a 35 Y/O Class C.

I did a quick search on rvnetlocator.com and found a 1985 23 foot Lazy Daze with a Chevy 350 for $9600.00. http://www.rvnetlocator.com/view-1985-lazy-daze-photo-details-lgxy.html  Once again, I don't know anything about its condition, but that price is more in line with what I'd expect to pay for a Class C of that vintage.

The one you're looking may be in excellent shape, and if it is, that's certainly worth something, but only you can determine if it's worth 28K. JMO

Kev

For comparison my Class C was 22 years old when I bought it, absolutely like new inside and out, had 52,000 miles ran perfect, and I paid $8,000. After new tires, belts, hoses, filters, fluids, with me doing all the labor, I had another $1,700 in it.

NADA values do not mean much but your average retail is $4,000. I might pay $8,000 for a Lazy Days that really was like new with that mileage. At 93,000 miles the drivetrain of 1985 RVs are pretty worn out. A mechanic may find it runs perfect but a mechanic can't tell you what the gas mileage will be or how much oil it burns. OBD1 computers came along in 1991 and OBD2 started in truck chassis from 1994 to 1998. It is hard to find old mechanics that can fix engines that don't have computers to tell them what is wrong. See if you can find something 15 years newer.

Thank so so much all of your for replying, I don?t have anyone to help me with this and I don?t want to make a terrible mistake. I found out that it has a Chevy Vandura V8. They said it gets 12-15 mpg. I will ask them about the tires though it sounds like all of you feel like I should pass on this. It?s listed on RV trader here: https://hr4kf.app.goo.gl/WRTBg

The inside looks so cute!

12-15 mpg?
Maybe on a steep downhill with a tail wind.
Looks to me like someone is flipping a motorhome and asking a RIDICULOUS amount for it.
Underneath the new paint and splash board is still a 35 year old motorhome and you WILL run into a mega amount of repairs in the next couple of years.
It's relatively easy to spruce up the interior.
Unless you are your own mechanic I'd advise you to pass unless it was more like $2800.
My motorhome is an 87 Lindy.
I bought it with a 4x4 conversion, 4 inch lift, solar, air compressor with tank, excellent exterior and many more amenities for $9K.
I redid the interior so it looks great inside and out.
I have done a lot of engine work because I want it running perfect.
No matter where I take it I get people stopping me to ask questions or ask if it is for sale.
No WAY do I have $28K invested.
Maybe half that including a metal RV port.
There are better deals to be had.
Below is the sales photo from when I bought it 3.5 years ago.
Be patient. A much better deal will come along.

Attachments

• 1 Lindy MH.jpg
    1 Lindy MH.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 19
This could be a case where, "The year model doesn't matter. It's the condition." But unless you know exactly what you are doing your could buy a nightmare.

The photos show what I would consider is exceedingly good interior condition - which makes a guy like me skeptical. The devil is in the details. You are buying a house and a car.  93,000 miles is a good number of miles. You probably wouldn't buy a car with 93,000 miles for 3 times the asking price of similar cars, even if the upholstery was fantastic...

I would not necessarily pass but there is no way I would pay a 3X premium. There are two ways I would approach this. Search for all class A and Class C at your price point of $28k and see what is out there.

Alternately search all class C at your price point and compare.  You might also cast a wider net on location.  I have bought a number of cars and vehicles.  The larger the spend the larger a search area I use.  For a $30k spend on a "durable" item I would be searching across at least 10 states. What's one 2,000 mile trip for a vehicle I plan to drive 20k miles a year?  It is harder to buy remote but lots of photos, lots of questions and so on will help figure out which one is the one to go see.

Having said that the one you are looking at looks "good" to me, it's just that there is no way I personally would pay that much. I might pay 2X the market rate but no more.  I have made low ball offers in this way, "Look I really like your vehicle and I don't want to be insulting.  I only have $18k to spend and frankly your coach is at the high end of the market. I am also offering this low because it's a big risk for me on an unknown coach.  If you don't get anyone to buy it my offer stands."

You will need to make it totally contingent on a full inspection including careful chassis inspection, especially the engine and transmission these are huge ticket items to repair or replace. You also have to be prepared to hear a no and to be able to walk away after a "vigorous" sales pitch.

The ad seems honest, and the owners definitely have their rose colored glasses on in regards to "their baby."

It's not a typo - the ad is on rvtrader.com. Along with some other newer models at a similar price.

https://www.rvtrader.com/Lazy-Daze-Class-C/rvs-for-sale?type=Class%20C%7C198069&make=Lazy%20Daze%7C2280760

This Lazy Daze is beautifully restored/updated and might actually be worth an above average price if the buyer could be assured the chassis mechanicals and underlying systems (plumbing, electric, appliances, etc) are equally good, but that would take a through inspection by both RV and chassis pros to determine.  A very risky gamble for a newcomer to RVs.

What questions to ask? Where do I start, since EVERYTHING is at risk?  Tire & batteries, of course, but also roof and window leaks, plumbing system, water heater, furnace, air conditioner, etc.  It's an entire furnished house that has its own water, electric and sewage utilities, all of which have to work flawlessly to enjoy.  And even if it all works well today, it's still 35 years old and has 93k miles on the mechanical parts of the vehicle.  Would you expect years of trouble-free use of a 35 year old car with 93,000 miles?

We have RV Buyer "pre-delivery" checklists in the forum library (the Checklist section). Here's one of the simpler ones created by one of our members - read through it to get an idea of what needs to be reviewed if you want to be assured everything is in good shape.

http://www.rvforum.net/miscfiles/PDIchecklist.pdf

I would say that a fair price for this coach would be in the vicinity of $13k-$15k.  That's well above average for a vintage class C motorhome and reflects the extra value of the Lazy Daze brand & quality, but still makes some allowance for its age and mileage. I found a couple late 1990's Lazy Daze coaches that sold in that range within the last year or so.

https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/mini-motorhomes-sold?facetValueFilter=tenant~manufacturer%3alazy+daze

I don't think the GM line got fuel injection until 1987 so that means this thing has a carburetor.  Some folks are comfortable with the idea of a computer-less engine and drivetrain but unless you are, forget about the notion of "turnkey" operation.  They just don't have the reliability and consistency of anything fuel injected and good luck finding a repair shop that will touch a carbureted engine.  Between that and basic corrosion and decomposition of the chassis the only way I would adopt something this old would be with a frame-up restoration in mind, updating to all new components - axle, suspension, engine, brakes, trans, the whole schmear.  Because even if the parts that are there "work", at this age and mileage it's only a short matter of time before something gives out and finding some of these old parts is a real pain.  Even a 20 year old chassis is hard enough.  I would really have to love this one for very specific reasons to make all that time and effort worth it, because at the end of the day there are many RV's out there for the same money decades newer that are drive-away ready.  Just because someone put a bunch of money and work into something still doesn't make it worth any more than what someone is willing to pay for it.  Unless you really like mechanical projects and devoting your life into keeping it going I wouldn't adopt something like this at any price. 

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

I'm not saying this is, but could this be one of those youtube channel facelift projects? There's a lot of people out there now buying old campers and vans, giving them face lifts with interiors and fancy electronics all for youtube page views, but not actually doing anything to the engine or drivetrain. They're basically trying to tap into the tiny home/downsizing trend prevalent among younger people, and really it's a lot of smoke and mirrors. I don't know the OP, their age or anything else, but I'd be highly suspect on this purchase. We've all heard the phrase, "There's a sucker born every minute."

One of the photo shows a battery box with what looks to be like-new batteries and a solar charger. That suggests the upfit is not solely cosmetic.

Maybe Striz26 could hire an old-time mechanic familiar with 1980's vintage vehicles to give it a thorough mechanical inspection and evaluate the vehicle part.  That could reduce the mechanical risk quite a bit, though 93k is still 93k unless both engine and transmission have been rebuilt at some point.  And I still wouldn't pay $28K; about $20k would be my limit.

I am BLOWN AWAY by how nice and helpful you all are being. I think that it is way too risky for me to invest in something like this. You all made such excellent points and I'm so grateful for the RV checklist! I looked around at other things and compared space and realized I think I should go with a Class C because you are right, it is a home and a car and I want more room. I also took your advice on nothing older than 15 years. I found what I think is an amazing 2009 COACHMEN FREELANDER 2700RS. I'm going to go look at it today, they are asking $46,000. It has 57,000 miles on it so that seems way safer. I'm going to take this checklist with me!

Stop!! $46K is way too much for an 09 Coachmen. It's not in the same class as a Lazy Daze even if you have moved up 24 years. While the Lazy Daze has a reputation as one of the best class Cs money can buy, the Coachmen Freelander is strictly entry level stuff.

Agree with sadixon49 - $46k is way overpriced for a 2009 Freelander.    $30k-$34k would be closer.

Prices advertised on RVtrader.com are often way out of line. Private sellers tend to overvalue their RV, often because they owe far more than it is actually worth. And the dealers that advertise there  are usually anticipating a trade-in and some discount negotiation too. 

The used RV sales market is a jungle in terms of advertised pricing and market value - not at all like cars where the values are well known and don't vary much among dealers or regions. Be very cautious about ads.
Here is one place you can find some actual selling prices for private sales (not dealers).  PPL is a consignment agency, handling RVs for private sellers for a 10% commission.

PPL RVs Sold

Oh my goodness  :p , I can't believe how tricky this RV purchasing world is! Well I called about that 2009 Freelander and its already sold. BUT there is another one for sale a lot farther away from me but for $40,000. Sounds like that is too high as well. Do you guys like the Freelander? I really like the length, don't think I want to go over 27' and I really like the kitchen set up and the way the pop out comes out the back and that you can walk around the bed. But is this not a good brand of RV? Here is the link to the other Freelander: https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/2009-Coachmen-FREELANDER+2700RS-5013369244

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aquaticvegetation
Back
Top Bottom