1987 Pace Arrow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

organistas

Anybody have a 1987 Fleetwood Pace Arrow in here? We are getting one this weekend and need some information. We'd like to know any details about the particular model yearl as well as were to find parts (new and used) and just things to know. This is our first RV. It's a 32 ft. I believe.Thanks.

We owned a 1985 Pace Arrow from new for 15 years. It was their model V29 (29 feet, but measured 30). The chassis was the ubiquitous Chevy P30 chassis. We had a lot of fun in that motorhome.

You could check here for sources of parts.

We drove an 83 34' Pace Arrow to 112,00 miles and then owned a 98 for 40k or so. Ask away.

I have seen some that claim to sleep 6 and some that sleep 4. Which is it for an 87 32ft.? Where can i find manuals on this model, so i know how things work and how to maintain them? What kind of milage can i expect to get out of a 454 with 62k miles? Can this tow a 62 beetle with ease, or will i have to modify the engine? Do better intake filters (K&N) help out in any noticable way? Thanks fellas

Pace Arrow owner here, and yes there are 4 or 6 sleep versions in most every line.  A 6 sleeper will have a coach and a  booth in place of table and chairs for 4. It is possible on a 32' not to have a couch.  As for mileage, your not going to help it much, no matter what you do, without great costs involved and then it probably won't help.  Expect anywhere from 4 to 6 mpg depending on the unit itself and your driving habits.  Over 60 mph is a no no for that breed in most cases. At that mileage care should be taken by watching the heat gauge and not let it overheat.  Chev were noted for heating problems over 55K.  At least in the groups I have been affiliated with.  Towing should not be a problem, it should do well. Try to maintain a 55 mph if possible. Good luck

organistas said:
I have seen some that claim to sleep 6 and some that sleep 4. Which is it for an 87 32ft.? Where can i find manuals on this model, so i know how things work and how to maintain them? What kind of milage can i expect to get out of a 454 with 62k miles? Can this tow a 62 beetle with ease, or will i have to modify the engine? Do better intake filters (K&N) help out in any noticable way? Thanks fellas

Our 83 Pace had a GVW of 16,500 and a 454. It consistently got 7-8 mpg driving 55-60 but it dropped quickly over 60 mph. We lived in the midwest and the 454 was a great engine for that part of the country but really slowed down when we headed west tot he Rockies. Back then we didn't tow so it will probably be lower with the beetle. As Shayne mentioned the 454 generates a lot of heat, particularly under heavy load (high speed, pulling grades) that caused a lot of manifold warping for us. We replaced them once and had them milled three times to slow down the leaking. After installing a Banks system on our 98 Pace with a Ford 460 I would strongly suggest you consider one for the 454 as their manifolds are top notch and you can certainly use the increase in torque/HP.

Jeff  that's what we have on our 98 Pacer with 460    Don't get that kind of mileage  but then I have that large trailer and on open roads no traffic I don't baby it.  Ole Thunderfoot gets on the move  Banks sure makes a difference

Shayne said:
Jeff  that's what we have on our 98 Pacer with 460    Don't get that kind of mileage  but then I have that large trailer and on open roads no traffic I don't baby it.  Ole Thunderfoot gets on the move  Banks sure makes a difference

Shayne:

The 454 was on the 83 and was lighter than when we towed our 2002 CRV behind a 98 Banks 460 Pace and got 7.5 average cruising 60-62. I replaced the iginition wiring, rotor, and cap; otrherwise stock as it came out of the factory.

The Ford got 6.5-7.0 at same speeds but then we were in Washington instead of Illinois and saw a lot more hills. Banks NEVER saved gas, just went up hills faster. ;D

Jeff you are certainly right about the fuel.  a close friend our has a twin to ours except no Sat dish and no Banks Pak  Pulling our large trailer  we can breeze up most hills, no mountains, while we have to slow down and wait for him pulling his little Geo Tracker,  Yet we get almost 1 1/2 mile per gal then they do  I really like this unit but then I don't much worry about fuel.  My theory has always been if you can't afford it, don't go.  Or I shouldn't have a MH in the 1st place if I have to worry about something like that.  Just my opinion.  By the way Smoky will be back here at PEM around the 1st of Oct  when will you get back?  I'm waiting to be his butt in golf after his expensive lessons  LOL.  And no I haven't been practicing.

So by Banks, you are referring to a different manifold? Just want to make sure. when I spoke with the previous owner(PO), they said the unit has been taken care of very well and the engine purrs. I wouldn't expect a Po to say anything else if they want to sell. The MH has 62, 247 miles on the original engine. no major upgrades but closets in place of dinnette, and an air leveling system and a rear view camara. I called my insurance company, and it appears that insurance will not be a major factor. The gas milage is not as good as i wanted, but hey, you have to face the music if you want to dance irght? Anyone know were I can find some owner manuals? The PO said they do not have any. Thanks. My name is Hector

Hector  One of the guys will finally come on here and give you acouple of web sites to try for he manuals nNot sure if Fleetwood will still have them but it's worth a call, but they will be expensive.  I'm sure of that.

Anybody have a 1987 Fleetwood Pace Arrow in here? We are getting one this weekend and need some information. We'd like to know any details about the particular model yearl as well as were to find parts (new and used) and just things to know. This is our first RV. It's a 32 ft. I believe.Thanks.
Hello, I actually just bought an 87 pace Arrow also. Mine came with all the service paperwork since it was new. The really cool thing is it also came with the entire owners manual that is every bit of 12 inches thick and it goes over everything including the motor and chasing info. Plus the original vHS tape that I guess you were given when you bought the rv brand new. It's great having all the info. Right in front of you. I'm doing alot of restoration in the hopes to do some major traveling. If you have any questions or need me to look up anything I'll be glad to help. Im sure I'll have questions too. Thank. Feel free to email me also. [email protected]

This thread is almost 15 years old so it's unlikely to still be relevant to any of the posters above. @rdmcguire80 I encourage you to post additional Pace Arrow questions/comments in a new, or more recent conversation. That way you get more relevant responses.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom