1990 Monaco Crown Royal Signature

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ronhix

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 3, 2007
Posts
60
Location
Chicagoland
Hi guys,

I need to know if there are any known issues with this make and model RV. 

Is it too old?  How long will a high end Monaco last if taken care of properly?

Is the pricing right?  He is asking $49K negotiable, that is inline somewhat with the NADA but what is a fair price for this unit?

A little background:

As some of you may know from my other post, I am looking for a Class A diesel to facilitate my motorcycle track day habit and haul my 32' trailer.  I estimate a trailer weight of about 10,000lb.  GVRW on the unit is up to 38,000.  I don't have the GCRW numbers yet.  Roadmaster chassis.

Many of you have expressed concerns that the 5.9L Cummins at 275HP is too underpowered for the task.  This has the L10 Cummins at 300HP and 1100+ ft/lb's of torque...should do the trick...EASILY.  I've looked at tons of used diesel pushers ($35K to $60K range) and this is the biggest Cummins I have seen.

Here's the specifics:

$49,000 Negotiable
1990 Monaco Crown Royal Signature
Hardwood throughout
Kohler Diesel Generator.
65 Gal Propane
202 gal Diesel capacity
Micro/convection oven
Stereo System
DVD player
Ice Maker
Large Fridge
Roof Airs
Awnings on all windows
20ft Awning on Front
Queen Bed
Free Standing Dinette
All Oak Interior
6 new Tires
Good condition throughout

So what do you guys think?

THANKS IN ADVANCE!
 

Gary RV_Wizard

Site Team
Joined
Feb 2, 2005
Posts
74,620
Location
At our Silver Springs FL home
How long will a high end Monaco last if taken care of properly?
Indefinitely.

Is the pricing right?

Difficult to say - high end rigs have a certain cachet that sometimes commands higher prices than would otherwise be warranted for their age, and  a Signature Crown Royal is definitely in that class. This sounds like a beauty, so you may have to pay to get it. I'd still shoot for the low NADA retail pricing, but if it's a "cream puff" you may have to pay the average-high value rather than low to get it. Is this a private sale or a dealer?

Negotiate for all you're worth!!! Good luck!
 

Tom

Administrator
Joined
Jan 13, 2005
Posts
48,937
I'm a little confused by the model. Crown Royal was Monaco's attempt at a Prevost bus conversion which I believe they've since discontinued. Signature is their current top of the line coach. So I'm not sure if this is an older Signature or a Prevost.
 

ronhix

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 3, 2007
Posts
60
Location
Chicagoland
RV Roamer said:
Is this a private sale or a dealer?

It is a private seller.  I called the guy Sunday morning at about 11:45am.  I woke him up.  He was in Guam and it was the middle of the night!  LOL.

My first impression of the guy is that he is very wealthy, so that my help or hurt with the negotiations.  We'll see.
 

chrpennings

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 4, 2005
Posts
262
Tom,

The Crown Royal is an early Signature and build as a Rock. We new several members of our local club and they were extremely happy with them. One of our old RV CompuServe group members still has one and wouldn't change for anything else. His name is Marthy Ehrlich and I will send you a  p. m  with his E/mail address.
You may also ask Jerry Fitzgerald he lives close to him and may know more about the Crown Royal. It certainly has enough power. Ask what kind of transmission it has and do a Google on it.
Where are you located ?

Good luck,
chris
 

Tom

Administrator
Joined
Jan 13, 2005
Posts
48,937
Hi Chris,

Thanks for the info. Wasn't aware that CR was an early Sig.

We're currently heading SW through Kentucky, trying to get away from cold country.
 

chrpennings

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 4, 2005
Posts
262
yes it was Marthy.

And after 8 years in service they replaced it at no charge. Towed it to the factory and provided them with a hotel during the time of the repair.

chris
 

Tom

Administrator
Joined
Jan 13, 2005
Posts
48,937
True to form, Monaco looks after their customers.
 

ronhix

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 3, 2007
Posts
60
Location
Chicagoland
Spoke to the owner last night.  He seems willing to negotiate, since it is a 1990.

I'm concerned about the transmission.  The transmission is an Allison 3 speed with a two speed rear end.  I am not familiar with this setup.  Anyone have any experience with this setup?
 

ronhix

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 3, 2007
Posts
60
Location
Chicagoland
ronhix said:
I'm concerned about the transmission.  The transmission is an Allison 3 speed with a two speed rear end.  I am not familiar with this setup.  Anyone have any experience with this setup?

Anybody have any experience or know anything about this Allison 3 speed and two speed rear end setup? 
 

Ray D

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 4, 2006
Posts
1,963
Location
Boise, Idaho
I'm going to try to encourage you, but can't give you definitive help. The drive system you are interested in is how things used to be, and quite functionnal. My problem is the automatic - and the three speed tranny. Are you sure it isn't "3 speed transmission with overdrive?"

Long ago, I drove trucks with two speed rear ends. That was before automatic trannies, and quite a long time before seriously reliable automatics. Mine were mostly 4 speed, standard, with 2 speed rear ends or 4 speed and overdrive with 2 speed rear ends. I am still, at this late age, getting used to automatic transmissions in trucks. I pretty much go by "faith." A truck with no clutch?  ???

The 2 speed rear end gives you two ranges of transmission gears, sorta like two transmissions - pick the one you like at the moment. The rear end speeds used to be described as "high" and "low." There were rear ends that had more than 2 speeds, but never mind that, it is not at issue, here.

So, simplified, with a 3 speed and 2 speed rear end, you have six speeds to use.  (With my old 4 and 2 and overdrive, I had ten speeds - (9, really, since overdrive and low didn't make a lot of sense.) Well, "low - low" didn't make a lot of sense, commonly, either! I don't remember what top speed was, with low-low, but somewhere around 8 or 10 mph with a lot of noise.

If I was running empty, I would be in high, on the rear and start moving in second on the tranny. Didn't use low gear at all, running empty. I used low-low, once in a while, with a heavy load on an incline, to get moving. Low range might be used for engine braking on a steep grade with a heavy load. Gave more positive control of speed.

How it functions with an auto transmission, I could guess. I'd prefer not to. You need the real info, not a guess. They do work just fine. Tough and dependable! Might be a conversation starter - "Wow! What's that?"

Ray D.  ;D
 

ronhix

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 3, 2007
Posts
60
Location
Chicagoland
Ray D said:
I'm going to try to encourage you, but can't give you definitive help. The drive system you are interested in is how things used to be, and quite functionnal. My problem is the automatic - and the three speed tranny. Are you sure it isn't "3 speed transmission with overdrive?"

Long ago, I drove trucks with two speed rear ends. That was before automatic trannies, and quite a long time before seriously reliable automatics. Mine were mostly 4 speed, standard, with 2 speed rear ends or 4 speed and overdrive with 2 speed rear ends. I am still, at this late age, getting used to automatic transmissions in trucks. I pretty much go by "faith." A truck with no clutch?  ???

The 2 speed rear end gives you two ranges of transmission gears, sorta like two transmissions - pick the one you like at the moment. The rear end speeds used to be described as "high" and "low." There were rear ends that had more than 2 speeds, but never mind that, it is not at issue, here.

So, simplified, with a 3 speed and 2 speed rear end, you have six speeds to use.  (With my old 4 and 2 and overdrive, I had ten speeds - (9, really, since overdrive and low didn't make a lot of sense.) Well, "low - low" didn't make a lot of sense, commonly, either! I don't remember what top speed was, with low-low, but somewhere around 8 or 10 mph with a lot of noise.

If I was running empty, I would be in high, on the rear and start moving in second on the tranny. Didn't use low gear at all, running empty. I used low-low, once in a while, with a heavy load on an incline, to get moving. Low range might be used for engine braking on a steep grade with a heavy load. Gave more positive control of speed.

How it functions with an auto transmission, I could guess. I'd prefer not to. You need the real info, not a guess. They do work just fine. Tough and dependable! Might be a conversation starter - "Wow! What's that?"

Ray D.  ;D

Thanks Ray.  I spoke with my local Monaco dealership's service dept and I think you are right on in your definition and description "tough and dependable".

The Allison three speed auto is connected to a two speed rear end.  The 2 rear end speeds air switched via an "air-controlled" mechanism. 

Can't really find anymore info on it than that, I've been Googling but not coming up with much.

Thanks!
 

Ray D

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 4, 2006
Posts
1,963
Location
Boise, Idaho
WHEW!! Boy, I was afraid I'd look like an idiot!  :D  I really thought there would be quite a few or those, still around, and you would get a quick answer. I wouldn't be one bit afraid of that rig. Not sure how to use it.

My experience, old experience, was with trucks that carried cargo. Sometimes, they are heavy, sometimes not so heavy, sometimes empty. Empty the two speed rear end wasn't all that useful. Loaded, the gear shift and clutch got a workout.

A motorhome is loaded, close to the max, all the time. So, I'm guessing the two speed rear will be used quite a bit. It sounds inviting to me, particularly on a grade, either up or down.

At this point it looks to me like the authority on how to drive it would be the present owner. Take it for a test drive and have him show you. It'll make sense, right away.

If he isn't back from Guam, yet, check it out where it is stored. Likely, he has someone designated to demonstrate it or at least maintain it. Or, look for an OLD mechanic at a service depot that services that brand. Have him check it out and brief you. There has to be quite a few of those still on the road and the service depot has to service them, regularly.

In any case, it doesn't take a lot to learn it.

Good luck.

Ray D  ;D
 

ronhix

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 3, 2007
Posts
60
Location
Chicagoland
You bring up a good point Ray. 

Since this unit is in CA and I am in Chicago, how can I get this thing checked out before buying a plane ticket and flying out there for a visual inspection. 

I'm thinking maybe a local Monaco shop in the owner's local area maybe?

Just wondering if you guys were aware of a service or business that does this type of thing?
 

Tom

Administrator
Joined
Jan 13, 2005
Posts
48,937
Ron,

Where in CA is the coach? Being more specific with a location might have a better chance of a response.

If you have Woodalls or the Trailer Life directory, they list various RV-related services by city. You might be able to find a tech/mechanic who would do the inspection.

FWIW bumping isn't normally done here because most folks understand that someone who has the answer they're looking for might be in transit or otherwise offline. But I understand it can be frustrating when someone is anxious for a response due to a time constraint.
 

Ron

Moderator Emeritus
Joined
Jan 29, 2005
Posts
18,082
Location
Home is where we park it
Ron,

Did you look at this motorhome HERE which is also in California.  This is a beautifull rig and has the 6 speed allison transmission.  Don't know if it is still available but would be worth checking out.
 

ronhix

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 3, 2007
Posts
60
Location
Chicagoland
Tom said:
Ron,

Where in CA is the coach? Being more specific with a location might have a better chance of a response.

Sorry bout that, the coach is in Valley Springs, California 95252

Gotcha on the bump, I'll try to be more patient.  I am just up against a tight time line here, need to have the race team on the road by March.
 
Top Bottom