1991 Norcold 663

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rvkev

Got a Norcold 663. Having issues.

Put in a new flame sensor and burner. I turn it on gas and it lights up and stay running for 6-8-10 hours straight with no shutting off. No cycling, just on. Burner goes constantly. Eventually it will shut off and not restart on it’s own.

i have the Norcold 663 repair manual and everything seems to check out with respect to getting lit. Cause it lights up nicely. There is nothing in the repair manual regarding my issue.

But the heater/ burner does not shut off, Or rather does not cycle on off.

i cannot decide if this is a power control board issue or an eyebrow control board issue.

Thinking its the power control board, as it will not turn back on automatically. I have to turn it off at the eyebrow, wait for a bit and turn it back on To gas. Most times it lights up immediately. Sometimes I hear it click multiple times and still will not turn back on. Do that a few times and it re-lights and will burn for 6-8-10 hours again and eventually shut off again.

i don’t thing its the gas valve as that would have nothing to do with shutting off (cycling) the gas as the fridge reaches temperature and then re-starting as the fridge temp warms up. So don’t believe its gas valve.

Any help with this is greatly appreciated :)

Thanks
Kev

Got a Norcold 663. Having issues.

Put in a new flame sensor and burner. I turn it on gas and it lights up and stay running for 6-8-10 hours straight with no shutting off. No cycling, just on. Burner goes constantly. Eventually it will shut off and not restart on it’s own.

i have the Norcold 663 repair manual and everything seems to check out with respect to getting lit. Cause it lights up nicely. There is nothing in the repair manual regarding my issue.

But the heater/ burner does not shut off, Or rather does not cycle on off.

i cannot decide if this is a power control board issue or an eyebrow control board issue.

Thinking its the power control board, as it will not turn back on automatically. I have to turn it off at the eyebrow, wait for a bit and turn it back on To gas. Most times it lights up immediately. Sometimes I hear it click multiple times and still will not turn back on. Do that a few times and it re-lights and will burn for 6-8-10 hours again and eventually shut off again.

i don’t thing its the gas valve as that would have nothing to do with shutting off (cycling) the gas as the fridge reaches temperature and then re-starting as the fridge temp warms up. So don’t believe its gas valve.

Any help with this is greatly appreciated :)

Thanks
Kev
All the lights on the eyebrow seems to work correctly.

The burner runs until the thermister inside the fridge signals it is cold enough. Running 6-8 hours isn't unusual in warm weather or if the fridge is already warm - an absorption unit doesn't chill fast. But once it shuts off, it should re-light on demand. If it tries to light (sparks), then the thermister is calling for cooling. If it doesn't spark, there is a good chance the thermister isn't signalling or the board isn't seeing it for some reason. It's possible the board fails when the surrounding area heats up. Testing [or just replacing] the thermister is a common diagnostic step. You can also check to see if the board opens the gas valve on demand, but you have to check it quickly after the board receives the thermister demand for cooling. For safety reasons it won't keep the valve open long unless a flame is detected.

I have ordered a new thermistor for it. Will try that and see if that resolves it. If not I will have to look at a new power board.

Back
Top Bottom